Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Olsson signs for Swansea!!

[quote user="king canary"]Great.

Loan out our own young left back to loan in someone elses.[/quote]

How confirmed is this loan for Kingsley? I really really hope not unless it''s a loan with a deal agreed otherwise all we''ve done is weaken our already poor defence. I''m happy to see a younger player with potential signed and be patient with him to develop but selling probably our best defender (I know that doesnt make him a world beater) and then throw in helping develop another of their players just for good measure really gets my goat.

Take the money and sign the best young left back in division 1 or 2, although I currently doubt the club would have the first idea about how to go about identifying any player other than a attacking midfielder.

I really hope when this, seemingly inevitably, goes through, we find out that the fee could rise to £8 million or something. If not I can''t help but feel we are quite badly under-selling considering its January etc.

[quote user="hogesar"]I really hope when this, seemingly inevitably, goes through, we find out that the fee could rise to £8 million or something. If not I can''t help but feel we are quite badly under-selling considering its January etc.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="hogesar"]I really hope when this, seemingly inevitably, goes through, we find out that the fee could rise to £8 million or something. If not I can''t help but feel we are quite badly under-selling considering its January etc.[/quote]Thats the trouble though, when you combine a player that has had one eye on the exit door, and a club that can''t afford to hold out for more money.

No point holding out until it''s too late to spend and replace for a small increase in fee.

If the coaches think toffolo isn''t ready (just cos he is one of our own does not mean he is good enough) I can accept that IF we promptly replace olsson with someone like garbutt before Brady leaves.

This transfer business is complicated.

[quote user="ZLF"]No point holding out until it''s too late to spend and replace for a small increase in fee.

If the coaches think toffolo isn''t ready (just cos he is one of our own does not mean he is good enough) I can accept that IF we promptly replace olsson with someone like garbutt before Brady leaves.

This transfer business is complicated.[/quote]Still makes the Toffolo decision an odd one. We better get another left back in, and quick.It would be just our luck if Whittaker gets injured....

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Kingsley is out of contract at the end of the season. Maybe we are seeing how he goes and if OK will sign him on a Bosman then.[/quote]

If that''s the case I''m ok with that.

@ZLF

Toffolo might not be ready for starting week in week out.

However I''m willing to gamble if he''s good enough to hold down the first team left back slot for a team challenging for promotion from League One, then he''s a better bet than our third choice right back playing out of position in his first start of the season.

[quote user="king canary"]@ZLF

However I''m willing to gamble if he''s good enough to hold down the first team left back slot for a team challenging for promotion from League One, then he''s a better bet than our third choice right back playing out of position in his first start of the season.[/quote]^^^This.

However I''m willing to gamble if he''s good enough to hold down the first team left back slot for a team challenging for promotion from League One, then he''s a better bet than our third choice right back playing out of position in his first start of the season.[/quote][Y]

WE might indeed think that.

And I am just putting a counter view, not necessarily my own, just trying to see it from the playing staff, but if an experienced whittaker is felt more capable than an inexperienced toffolo thats a choice and opinion expressed. That whittaker didnt defend any more poorly than olsson or brady have done over this season means its a far closer choice it seems,

Even more so if its just for one game & we are looking to sign someone else as soon as olsson leaves.

However I''m willing to gamble if he''s good enough to hold down the first team left back slot for a team challenging for promotion from League One, then he''s a better bet than our third choice right back playing out of position in his first start of the season.[/quote]

Agreed. At the end of the day somewhere along the line we need a manager who is going to front up and give these kids a chance espeically in these situations or we will never know if they are going to be good enough. Whats the worst that could happen? they play appallingly we lose and we know they arnt ready for this level, not that different to what happens with alot of the more senior pro''s on our books.

If we are still in a position of loaning in someone else''s young players, i cant help but feel we might aswell pack up the youth team and go home. But who knows a couple of the kids given a chance might actually rise to the occasion?

Neil seems incredibly reluctant to play our youngsters, aside from Jacob who arguably, has been over played. All very odd.

On the subject, he has put Jacob in the team this season and while he has popped up with a few goals his positioning and link up play aren''t great.

Nobody''s asking for him to play them for the sake of it. We''re missing our first and second choice left backs and this decision suggests Neil doesn''t even so Toffolo as third choice. If I was him I''d do one as fast as possible.

I agree GJP but we have Toffolo, Thompson, Josh, Canos, Morris, Maddison who have all had relative success elsewhere at not too dissimilar levels to where we currently find ourselves. Between them they''ve hardly kicked a ball in anger for us this season.

I would much rather see these lads given a chance than persist with more senior players who have hardly covered themselves in glory over the last 12 months, particularly when we''ve now got to the point of playing the 3rd choice right back at left back!

For the record I was talking about the general calls to play youngsters. I remember when people thought the Jarvis brothers and Spillane were first team quality.

As it goes Whittaker has played LB for Scotland. Does anyone think Toffolo would get in the Scotland side?

Nah.

And they are hardly great.

[quote user="GJP"]As it goes Whittaker has played LB for Scotland. Does anyone think Toffolo would get in the Scotland side?

Nah.

And they are hardly great.[/quote]He also hasn''t played any first team football for most of the season.

On that basis GJP we might as well bring back Mark Bowen as he used to play left back for Wales!

There comes a point though we were have to ''sh1t or get off the pot'' with these youngsters so to speak.

Josh was player of the year for a team playing in this division last season.

Toffolo has made over 50 league appearances in League One.

Louis Thompson has over 70 league starts for Swindon.

Rudd has played over 100 games from League One to Premier League level.

At the moment we''re a mid table Championship club. All these players have proved they can do it at a similar or slightly lower level. I''m not saying they should all be starting but to be honest I''d much rather stop paying Naismith, Mulumbu, Brady and McGovern and let these players have their chance.

Hear hear.I wonder if the writing is on the wall though for Toffolo? I think I read somewhere he is out of contract at the end of the season.It wouldn''t be a surprise if there has already been a deal made to sell him to Scunthorpe.

@GJP

What a bizzare point.

Firstly Whittaker hasn''t played for Scotland since March and has only played for them three times since the beginning of 2015. So he doesn''t play left back for Scotland. Scotland are actually pretty stocked at left back with Andrew Robertson and Ross Wallace.

Secondly it''s completely hypothetical. You don''t reckon Toffolo would get into the Scotland team (that Whittaker also doesn''t) so that means he isn''t very good?

There have been times this seasom when Brady has been putting in a half arsed effort and I have thought I''d rather see Josh having a go.

But I think there''s perhaps a lack of consistency from AN as to what gets some players in the team compared to others.

Having said that, Josh won''t be getting bought by a Prem club any time soon and Brady probably will be.