Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Olsson signs for Swansea!!

[quote user="hogesar"]To be fair, £5 mill is a great price for Swansea considering: 1) Olsson is just about Premier League quality 2) It''s January 3) He''d just signed a new deal. Hopefully we''ll hear over the next couple of days that with addons like Swans staying up the fee could rise to £7-£8m[/quote]

and he can play this weekend if it goes through, he is match fit, unlike our usual signings that take two months to get up to speed .

He did only sign a new deal for another year so still only has 18 months left on his deal. Still doesn''t put us in a strong negotiating position.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]I know this is a bit of a radical idea, but do you think that , possibly, we have someone lined up to sign, as a LB, to take his place, and the talk about money in before money goes out, MIGHT have a part in this?[/quote]

Adam Drury?

I hope we sign no LB cover and play Whittaker there for the rest of the season to keep the moan merchants in business - otherwise this message board might become a dull place

I know this is a bit of a radical idea, but do you think that , possibly, we have someone lined up to sign, as a LB, to take his place, and the talk about money in before money goes out, MIGHT have a part in this?

AN and Fat Frankie are driving to Hamilton to sign their reserve LB as we speak

I''m sure we''ve got someone lined up but hopefully people won''t get too expectant about the level of signing.

Olsson was a low Prem-quality player. We''re currently outside the play-offs in the Championship. The best we can really hope for is a top 6 quality fullback, so unlikely to be as good as Olsson.

[quote user="hogesar"]I''m sure we''ve got someone lined up but hopefully people won''t get too expectant about the level of signing. Olsson was a low Prem-quality player. We''re currently outside the play-offs in the Championship. The best we can really hope for is a top 6 quality fullback, so unlikely to be as good as Olsson.[/quote]

Thanks Hogesar. that is one of the most depressing posts I''ve ever read.

I''m one of the few, if not the only one, who is not too upset to see that Whittaker will likely be back in the fold.

I think he''s a decent defender, albeit a chronic lack o pace.

His attacking prowess is as good as Olsson''s, IMO.

This season is turning into one that establishes us back in the Chumps in any case.

The frugal approach will soon be necessary, if it isn''t already.

With £30+m parachutes, full houses, sponsorship and some tv money our wage bill must be desperately disproportionate to our points tally thus far.

[quote user="king canary"]He did only sign a new deal for another year so still only has 18 months left on his deal. Still doesn''t put us in a strong negotiating position.[/quote]
There is no negotiation if there is a buy out clause and I imagine there is, we were all surprised he agreed a new deal in November, now we know why.

Not one I would have thought to go, but has been very solid this year. £5million is a little short for me, but that''s the agreed fee so be it.

I can''t see us replacing Olsson this January, can Toff be recalled? If we do get the right price for Brady then we need cover.

I have been pissed off as to how this club has been run for months this takes us to a different level the loons are really running the shop now. Of all the dross we need to offload we get rid of one of our better performers for peanuts to a club that is coming down and now we have noone in that position other than Brady who will be off soon. Well done cretins how much more damage can you do this month

Sorry GPB, it wasn''t supposed to come across quite so....self-harming-y...

You never know, we could sign a 21 year old left-back from League One that''s twice the player Olsson is!

I mean, it''s unlikely, but possible.

It doesn''t seem to fit the mould, but IMO £5m+ for Oldson seems a pretty good amount so long as we get cover. He''s not PL quality, was found wanting a lot last season, and while it would have been good to keep him we know everyone has a price.

If any truth in it then its another step towards the downsizing of the club by our pathetic, ambitionless board.

Having sacrificed promotion out of some form of bizarre loyalty to Alex Neil we will now no doubt allow him to dismantle the squad and inflict more damage by signing up mediocre cut price replacements. Sends out a terrible message about our ambition for the rest of the season. If he wanted out then we should have sold him and rebuilt in the summer as part of some kind of coherent strategy and not this apparent fire sale we seem to be entering into to raise cash.

Certainly should not be allowed to happen before Brady has served his suspension or we will have no available left backs at all.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]If any truth in it then its another step towards the downsizing of the club by our pathetic, ambitionless board.

Having sacrificed promotion out of some form of bizarre loyalty to Alex Neil we will now no doubt allow him to dismantle the squad and inflict more damage by signing up mediocre cut price replacements. Sends out a terrible message about our ambition for the rest of the season. If he wanted out then we should have sold him and rebuilt in the summer as part of some kind of coherent strategy and not this apparent fire sale we seem to be entering into to raise cash.

Certainly should not be allowed to happen before Brady has served his suspension or we will have no available left backs at all.[/quote]

It probably means that we are going ''3 at the back'' for the rest of the season.

So who is going to play at LB this weekend? Even if Olsson doesn''t go this week I assume by AN''s flawless logic he will leave him out as we have to learn to cope without him...

I''m still not convinced this is actually happening...hasn''t Olsson been leaving during every single transfer window since he arrived?

Apples

[quote user="Ginja"]So who is going to play at LB this weekend? Even if Olsson doesn''t go this week I assume by AN''s flawless logic he will leave him out as we have to learn to cope without him...[/quote]

This could be Canos''s big chance!

Dismantle an good squad and an aging beast that is past its best?

Would be quite amusing if the deal falls through and he stays

[quote user="Ivan Easter"]I hope people know what they are doing I didn''t expect this one[/quote]

You know the answer to this question they can''t even get the scampi 🍤 portion right

Selling your only left back?

Promotion, promotion, promotion!

Let''s not draw huge conclusions on the club''s future from this transfer alone.

Let''s see where we are at the end of the window ... we all know what sparkling business we''ve done at the end of January and August down the years.

Shame but absolutely certain we''ll have someone lined up, especially with Brady likely on his way.

It''s when Oliveira gets sold in this window that things will go really nuts on here 😉