Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Brady

Interesting to see that Hull will receive 25% of the Brady fee as part of our original deal with them, does this then mean that if the figure of 10.5mil is correct, that in fact we''ve sold for just under 8mil, making a mere 1mil profit and basically spending all the cash on a replacement who many know very little of, didn''t have an outstanding Euro''s, and cost just 1mil a bloody year ago....?????Not trying to be pessimistic here, but I''m really struggling to see why we''re apparently so bloody awful at negotiating (although stinging Bournemouth for Grabban was good work), especially when it comes to what are supposed to be our ''best'' players.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Interesting to see that Hull will receive 25% of the Brady fee as part of our original deal with them, does this then mean that if the figure of 10.5mil is correct, that in fact we''ve sold for just under 8mil, making a mere 1mil profit and basically spending all the cash on a replacement who many know very little of, didn''t have an outstanding Euro''s, and cost just 1mil a bloody year ago....?????Not trying to be pessimistic here, but I''m really struggling to see why we''re apparently so bloody awful at negotiating (although stinging Bournemouth for Grabban was good work), especially when it comes to what are supposed to be our ''best'' players.[/quote]I would be very, very doubtful if ANY sell on fee waqs based on the whole fee.It is usually a percentage of the ''profit'' made, but even that can be conditional.And as we don''t really know how much was received, how much will be due if Burnley stay up etc it is all rather silly speculationAs is your comment about our supposed negotiating skills - which Derby fans might be saying the opposite as were Brighton in the summer and Swansea over the purchase of Bennett

I think the rumours are almost £13 mill? That''s good money. Can''t complain at that if it''s the case.

It''s a bit annoying to come to terms with but the reality is we can''t keep Premier League quality players when we''re not even in the play-offs.

I thought maybe we''d go for the slightly younger route to go for players with potential to be as good as Brady and Co but I think that was a little optimistic. We''re weaker in terms of technical quality now that much is guaranteed but the physicality of the new guys might be what this squad needs at times.

13mil certainly makes it more palatable, but I still have strong reservations about 50% of that going on a player that cost 1mil just a year ago and who hasn''t exactly set the Champs alight since that point to truly justify such a massive increase on what Wigan paid (not saying he''s a bad player, but boy have we paid through the nose IMHO).It does however arguably put us in a better position for the level we''re currently playing at, and if we do manage to get back via the playoffs then it will have been a worthwhile change, similarly, we could certainly do worse at this level than either player, but as a longer term view based on overall quality I think we''ve taken a slight step back, but sometimes you have to go back a step or two to make significant progress forwards.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Will Hull receive 25% of the whole fee, or 25% of the profit we made on him (5mil-ish)?[/quote]The wider view is that, generally, its a percentage of the profit.However we aren''t in a habit of revealing much about contracts and fees, so I doubt we''ll ever truly know.

I saw a comment yesterday which said that we were going to pay Liverpool 25% of the Canos fee (700k or so), which was met with the same reponse - I wonder if part of the Canos deal is that we have a 25% sell on clause inserted should Brentford sell big?

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]I saw a comment yesterday which said that we were going to pay Liverpool 25% of the Canos fee (700k or so), which was met with the same reponse - I wonder if part of the Canos deal is that we have a 25% sell on clause inserted should Brentford sell big?[/quote]I think it all probably still adds up to a big, fat "We don''t know"!I''m not so sure that we normally do the sell on clause thing, trying to cast my mind back, and I vaguely remember us making a bit of money that way, but it seems like a long time ago.

The Canos fee is according to a Liverpool site...

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/01/liverpool-bank-750000-sergi-canos-set-leave-norwich-brentford/

No idea of how reliable it is though.

[quote user="king canary"]The Canos fee is according to a Liverpool site...

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/01/liverpool-bank-750000-sergi-canos-set-leave-norwich-brentford/

No idea of how reliable it is though.[/quote]Thats making the assumption the clause is on the whole fee, and not just on profit.They are likely guessing as much as we are.

Dave Freezer on the live feed yesterday was getting shirty at someone who kept bringing this up. He reckons the 25% is any profit made on Canos.

[quote user="king canary"]Yeah probably.

I still don''t think we''ve made a profit on Canos though.[/quote]So we don''t pay any money to Liverpool then.The fact we have basically got our money back(as far as we know) on Canos, all things considered, is pretty good business.

IMO moving on Brady for a decent fee has got to make sense - he clearly would prefer to move to a Prem club and while he''s a quality player, he''s been frustratingly inconsistent his whole time here and the defensive side of his game is weak for me. 

I suspect the fee to Wigan has been pushed up, because they knew as well as anyone we were selling Brady to cover that deal and given it was at the end of the window, have effectively given us the choice of paying a bit extra from that fee to make it all happen, or being stuck with Brady.  A bit similar to how Andy Carroll ended up being transferred for £25m a few years back.  It happens and it''s not a bad outcome.

Olsson for me has always been a good quality LB for the lower end of the Premiership.  Not perfect, but overall one of our best players in his position. So it''s no surprise he has wanted away for some time and getting a replacement on loan for the season who looks good is also a decent outcome.

For me both players coming in are unknown quantities and I can only hope AN and the club have done their homework, but at least they look good signings and suitable for where they''ll be playing "on paper".