Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Let's Face It...We Are Just An Average Championship Side

The real question should be how many clubs will overtake us with development and finances in the future.

Like Brighton, MK Dons are the next in line, it''s true it''s not all about rich sugar daddies, but facilities, club stadiums etc and are we shackled to the current boards limited outlook while other clubs jump on the bandwagon to build not only the squad but the facilities for the future?

[quote user="Move Klose"]I don''t think we are just an average championship side.... yet.

Think potentially under this management, coaching, recruitment, scouting & board I worry we will become just that.

I''m not an alex neil hater or lover. But I know he''s just 1 problem of many.[/quote]

The point is though that with the way things have moved on and the stance taken by our owners we will become a below average championship side very quickly if we are still down here in 18 months time.

I dont think I''ve ever said that Indy. The last time I looked there was 43 clubs with richer owners. So with your ''ligic that would make me out to have said our rightful place is League One. Which I''ve never said we deserve to be.

I not deserve to be but we are above what could be expected.

It''s all about the future, the past has gone and is just a distant memory, where that will be for us is the debate.

In my opinion the longer our owners hold onto to the ghost of football past the further behind we are likely to slip. Get on board with the modern game or get left behind

Nutty, just remember discussing number of threads where you have highlighted our financial clout in terms of owners, just saying that we agree that we are about in the top 30 clubs IMO and punch above our weight with what we are up against, that''s all.

But the question should be how do we ensure we carry on punching above our weight and not get dragged anywhere near that 3 rd division again.

[quote user="Move Klose"]I don''t think we are just an average championship side.... yet.

Think potentially under this management, coaching, recruitment, scouting & board I worry we will become just that.

I''m not an alex neil hater or lover. But I know he''s just 1 problem of many.[/quote]I think thats a reasonable stance.

[quote user="Indy"]Nutty, just remember discussing number of threads where you have highlighted our financial clout in terms of owners, just saying that we agree that we are about in the top 30 clubs IMO and punch above our weight with what we are up against, that''s all.

But the question should be how do we ensure we carry on punching above our weight and not get dragged anywhere near that 3 rd division again.[/quote]
David McNally answered that by saying to give us the best chance we always had to have every aspect of our football club as "best in class". And that makes sense to a degree. And we know there''s an ongoing strategy to improve Colney to that end. That could be working, we don''t know. But it seems our shorter term strategies haven''t provided ''best in class''. We did ok up until we had proper money to spend. And then we had ''that'' window where we signed RVW and Hooper. That has compacted nearly every window since. Because there you see the difference between being rich enough to be able to tear up a transfer window and start again or only being able to afford the budget once. 
That may read as an endorsement for upgrading the wealth of our owners. And it could work. But football''s not awash with owners who continue to pump money into unsuccessful clubs. It''s not a case of someone saying "Leicester" and someone else saying "Ipswich". It''s just the mathematical certainty that only 20 clubs will start the season in the PL and only 17 will stay there.

Let''s see how many of these whingers turn up to see us play Arsenal, if we get throughWhy would they want to see a failing club with a useless manager and a dreadful squadStick to your words lads and stay at home

we are not necessarily and average championship club which is a world away from having an average championship squad / team.

The league table doesn''t lie. 9th IS average; and with only Pinto and Oliveira offering anything like consistent performances at championship level that for me is A definition of an average squad.

I accept that may be a form blip, but there have been enough games to suggest it may now be the norm.

A major prune and rebuild (with what will be viewed as lower lever players than ours were at their peak) is underway, I suspect younger hungrier players will be good for the squad over the next 18m whoever is the manager

I''d say we are ''BECOMING just an average championship side'' we still have some talented players and another season of parachute payments to come. With some shrewd management and savvy work in the transfer market I genuinely believe there is time to halt the slide and turn things around as we do still hold advantages over the majority of sides in this division.

However, I don''t believe that for one second the current board and management we have in place are capable of overseeing said turnaround.

Despite all the whinnying from the usual suspects, I actually think the club has a plan.

I guess only time will tell.

Interesting theory Morty.

Avoid relegation and try to finish above Ipswich is my guess.

We are an average Championship team that some seasons over achieve and some seasons under achieve. Our natural place in the football hierarchy ranges from say 16 th to 30 th so we are in the lower end of that range and will probably finish there at the end of the season.