Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Let's Face It...We Are Just An Average Championship Side

''And with City boss Alex Neil having already admitted the Canaries need to sell players before he can buy, national football journalist Graeme Bailey has earmarked John Ruddy, Steven Naismith and Sebastien Bassong as players Norwich would like to offload.''

With it looking likely we will lose Klose, Brady and now Olsson, we look to be down to bare bones in terms of having a team that will challenge at the top end of the table. All the hard work of getting us to the Premier League in the past few years all looks to be a waste of time - we''ve got no money and very little talent left.

We are clinging on to top 6 aspirations by our finger nails. This squad shuffling could go either way get it wrong though and next season we will be lucky to be an average championship side

[quote user="First Wazzock"]''And with City boss Alex Neil having already admitted the Canaries need to sell players before he can buy, national football journalist Graeme Bailey has earmarked John Ruddy, Steven Naismith and Sebastien Bassong as players Norwich would like to offload.''

With it looking likely we will lose Klose, Brady and now Olsson, we look to be down to bare bones in terms of having a team that will challenge at the top end of the table. All the hard work of getting us to the Premier League in the past few years all looks to be a waste of time - we''ve got no money and very little talent left.[/quote]Or some hack who runs a website regurgitating any old transfer shyte to fill up the pages.still he did get it right a couple of months back when he talked of AN being sacked .. and possibly replaced with Paul Lambert.However, if you are desperate then any stick will do, I suppose

ps odd (or not) how he did not predict the Olsson move

Like it or not, we have always been and will be a selling club, we will have to balance the books and thus all our players have a selling price.

At present we look unlikely to get that promotion that''s a must for poxy Moxy so there will be sales to balance the future forecast debts, I doubt Olsson will be the last out the door.

The only issue is those we want out the door don''t have many suitors so we will probably be left with Turner, Bassong and Whitts as regular squad players.

every club is a selling clubplayers will move ''up or down'' according to their abilitiesit always has been this wayeven before vacuous cliches were used to describe the process

The long and short of it is simply that Paul Lambert strapped us to a rocket and we''ve been floating back to our natural position ever since he departed.

Replacing him with a dynamic, innovative and effective new coach was not done.

By ''natural position'' I mean for a club our size without a wealthy benefactor in the 21st century.

Get used to it.

That''s the key thing Morty, we''ve always sold our players as needed, I remember Sutton, Ashton etc. Olsson is (if it''s true) only the next of a long line and will continue in the future.

No moaning just calling it as it is.

So why would we have bothered ?"Replacing him with a dynamic, innovative and effective new coach"if this is our''natural position'' I mean for a club our size without a wealthy benefactor in the 21st century.

"get used to it
I have a long while backyou are not the only one who is constantly taking a stick to NCFC

[quote user="Indy"]That''s the key thing Morty, we''ve always sold our players as needed, I remember Sutton, Ashton etc. Olsson is (if it''s true) only the next of a long line and will continue in the future.

No moaning just calling it as it is.[/quote]We are most definitely not just an average Championship side, recent history refutes that.

Being a mid table champ side I can accept

Having watched the board spurn two opportunities for us to be much more than that/ I cannot accept so easily

Has any promoted team spent as little as we did last time round l?

How come you get sent the detailed contract terms and others don''t ?any chance of us lesser mortals having a peep ?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"]That''s the key thing Morty, we''ve always sold our players as needed, I remember Sutton, Ashton etc. Olsson is (if it''s true) only the next of a long line and will continue in the future.

No moaning just calling it as it is.[/quote]We are most definitely not just an average Championship side, recent history refutes that.[/quote]
We are now, recent history is irrelevant.

IMO we started the season with a squad more than capable of spending the entire season in the top six and amongst the favourites for automatic with ................................. the right manager.

It''s turned into a rapid balls-up with a string of some of the weirdest and most inexplicable decisions on and off the field in the fairly long time I have supported the Club.

I am ashamed to still be a bit of a happy-clappy.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"]That''s the key thing Morty, we''ve always sold our players as needed, I remember Sutton, Ashton etc. Olsson is (if it''s true) only the next of a long line and will continue in the future.

No moaning just calling it as it is.[/quote]We are most definitely not just an average Championship side, recent history refutes that.[/quote]
We are now, recent history is irrelevant.
[/quote]Nah.We have had a sh1t run, for various reasons. The seasons not over yet, play offs are still perfectly achievable.If we make the play offs surely that makes us an above average Championship side?

[quote user="Biggles"]So why would we have bothered ?"Replacing him with a dynamic, innovative and effective new coach"if this is our''natural position'' I mean for a club our size without a wealthy benefactor in the 21st century.

"get used to it
I have a long while backyou are not the only one who is constantly taking a stick to NCFC[/quote]

Sorry Biggins but I think you''ve read me wrong.

All I''m saying is that had we replaced Lambert with someone as effective we could have stayed up for longer and built something. With the small level of investment available with our financial model the only way we could have stayed up beyond 3 years would have been by recruiting a similarly masterful manager ... which Hughton wasn''t.

I am not taking a stick to the club ... quite the opposite.

I''m a realist. I just see us settling back into a competitive 2nd tier side as unsurprising. I''m not angry about this. We have no right to be a Premier side ... Forest, Wednesday, Derby and Fulham certainly wouldn''t think so.

We don''t have the financial backing of a Bournemouth, Southampton, Stoke or Watford and so our transfer dealings will always be dominated by cutting our cloth accordingly.

We can''t afford the squad we currently have once the parachute payments reduce and then disappear.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"][quote user="Biggles"]So why would we have bothered ?"Replacing him with a dynamic, innovative and effective new coach"if this is our''natural position'' I mean for a club our size without a wealthy benefactor in the 21st century.

"get used to it
I have a long while backyou are not the only one who is constantly taking a stick to NCFC[/quote]

Sorry Biggins but I think you''ve read me wrong.

All I''m saying is that had we replaced Lambert with someone as effective we could have stayed up for longer and built something. With the small level of investment available with our financial model the only way we could have stayed up beyond 3 years would have been by recruiting a similarly masterful manager ... which Hughton wasn''t.

I am not taking a stick to the club ... quite the opposite.

I''m a realist. I just see us settling back into a competitive 2nd tier side as unsurprising. I''m not angry about this. We have no right to be a Premier side ... Forest, Wednesday, Derby and Fulham certainly wouldn''t think so.

We don''t have the financial backing of a Bournemouth, Southampton, Stoke or Watford and so our transfer dealings will always be dominated by cutting our cloth accordingly.

We can''t afford the squad we currently have once the parachute payments reduce and then disappear.[/quote]ahayes, can''t fault that so apologies for getting the wrong end of the stick

Morty, if you believe the likes of Nutty, then we are financially where we deserve to be, mid table championship, and for me we are one season away from that. This season is looking more and more like a very big one for us.

History states that we were a top level team in the early 90''s nearly winning the title and Europe, 9 seasons at top level, so we''ve done better in the past then recently, but we were always punching above our weight.

Are we a mid table championship side, in terms of financial clout, size of our club, size of our support and looking at our outlook, you would have to say yes. Can we punch above our size and get promoted, yes, but after this year it''ll get a damn sight harder.

Biggles,

I''m not trying to offend or wind you up, but

Biggins, really was the funniest thing I''ve read today.

😂

[quote user="Indy"]Morty, if you believe the likes of Nutty, then we are financially where we deserve to be, mid table championship, and for me we are one season away from that. This season is looking more and more like a very big one for us.

History states that we were a top level team in the early 90''s nearly winning the title and Europe, 9 seasons at top level, so we''ve done better in the past then recently, but we were always punching above our weight.

Are we a mid table championship side, in terms of financial clout, size of our club, size of our support and looking at our outlook, you would have to say yes. Can we punch above our size and get promoted, yes, but after this year it''ll get a damn sight harder.[/quote]Despite all the whinnying from the usual suspects, I actually think the club has a plan.I guess only time will tell.

Average Championship side..depends wether you mean financially, or the results on the pitch side of things, or the whole club in general. If you be realistic, and take the whole thing, we are probable a lower to mid table Champs side, in which case a mid table finish at end of season would be a decent and reasonable result for a club such as ours.Financially, talking in just terms of ownership riches. we are now in the lower half of the Champs, and within next season or two, with more clubs getting rich foreign owners, we will be akin to a L1 outfit. I dont say this in a derogatory way, purely in a realistic fashion. Right now we are fast becoming more like the Rotherhams of this world. We dont have anywhere near the riches of the Wolves, Birmingham, QPR type clubs, and they are considered average in this division.Yes we are downsizing out of necessity, being in the Prem. may now be a long term dream, our future may give us a history more akin to our neighbours long 15 yrs in this division, it is what it is. Just like Cantiaci, im not bitter about this, if you love your local team, you love them despite whatever division they  find themselves in. As for Delia and Michael, whom fans deride so often for being unambitious, i say keep at it, as long as you can, to keep our club just alive, never mind anything else. Football these days is ridiculously uneven competitively, and the record they have over the years supporting our club and the punching above our weight factor has been huge. OTBC.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]We''ll you can''t get more ''the likes of nutty'' than me so what is it that folk could believe Indy?[/quote]

As you constantly report there are about 30 clubs with richer owners, or bigger than us, so we do punch well above our weight.

Des that make the OP correct to say we are just an average championship side.....right now we are, along with the others around us. Where we will be come May is yet to be determined.

Cantiaci Canary wrote: "All I''m saying is that had we replaced Lambert with someone as effective we could have stayed up for longer and built something."The idea that Lambert could have been replaced "with someone as effective", and that if he had been "we could have stayed up longer and built something" is pie in the sky. We were simply too ill-equipped in terms of quality of player and club infrastructure to survive long in the top flight. Lambert''s "rocket propulsion" from League 1 to EPL in three seasons didn''t present us with a golden opportunity; on the contrary, it was the cause of our undoing. The great benefit that did accrue from it however, in conjunction with Hughton''s achievement in keeping us up that second season, was ridding us of our debt. We are not now drifting slowly down to our "natural" place as a mid-table Championship club. Our natural place is as a top of the Championship/bottom of the EPL club. But to recover or even improve on that status we need to start now on what should have been started in Lambert''s second season and which Chris Hughton had started on before being sacked. Despite Moxey''s "Promotion, promotion, promotion", there are actually signs that the board have learned the lesson of our recent yo-yoing and are at last getting the priorities right. Rome wasn''t built in a day or even a year; nor is a Stoke, WBA, Swansea, Southampton, Watford or Bournemouth. Brighton get it, let''s see if we do.

It''s hard to see how we will settle back into being a competitive championship side when our budget is slashed by £42 million in 18 months time. Last time we had that sort of budget there was nowhere near the same amount of money floating around in the championship as there is now but most seem to be burying their heads in the sand when it comes to the implications of not getting promoted this or next season.

I don''t think we are just an average championship side.... yet.

Think potentially under this management, coaching, recruitment, scouting & board I worry we will become just that.

I''m not an alex neil hater or lover. But I know he''s just 1 problem of many.