Sign in to follow this  
danielsroundabout

Transfer business and contract awards have got us stuffed.

The players who are in our squad simply because of the terms and lengths of their contract and who would prefer to be elsewhere, number more than most of us would have realised. Presumably it is the reason all of the following hang around, many of them poisoning the atmosphere:- Nasmith, Brady, Lafferty, Klose, Mulumbu, Olsson, Dorrans, Andreu and Turner. Then there''s Jarvis and Whittaker.

How can a manager expect to build any sort of spirit within the squad when it is littered with people who want away but are too expensive in either transfer fees or contract values?

I have added Jarvis and Whittaker to my list, not because they fall into the "want away" category but in the "why the hell did we sign them" list. Both signed contracts after the others, after our relegation. Whittaker doesn''t make the matchday squad and Jarvis (when fit) gives us nothing over either Murphy.

Nobody should be in denial about the mis-management which has occurred, its there for all to see. And, as if performances culminating in Saturdays debacle were not enough to endure, we now have our cardboard cut-out of a captain clawing himself onto the high ground to criticise his troops. Supreme irony given that in most matches he has been the outstanding weak link.

There''s different types of squad players:

Ones AN doesn''t fancy but couldn''t ship out:

Ruddy, Bassong, Turner, Mulumbu, Naismith, Lafferty

Ones AN does wanna keep but don''t really wanna be here:

Klose, Olsson, Brady

Ones AN has kept who aren''t good enough:

McGovern, Whittaker, Andreu, Jarvis

Ones AN shouldve kept in squad or be playing more of:

Thompson, Pritchard, Maddison, Toffolo, Rudd

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3435297/ShowPost.aspx

exactly what i was trying to say in the above thread.

Too many older players who won''t/can''t leave and too many who are being kept here against their will. Not a good combination.If we''d generally bought younger players and resorted less to buying in quality then we''d probably not be in this mess. The supposed advantages have evaporated as the squad has now stagnated and we''re less able to replace on a like-for-like basis.We''re stuck in a transfer traffic jam, and it''s time for Jez to put on his marigolds.

Well in the summer Ruddy Whittaker Bennett Turner Mulumbu & Lafferty all outta contract. Plenty of wages there.

Apart from Ruddy, who we should have sold when he was worth several million, that''s quite a lot in fees paid where we''d get nothing back. Lafferty and Mulumbu have hardly contributed anything.We have quite a few in our squad in their late-20s or 30s. Replacing in terms of buying better than or equal to what we have with PL or Champs experience, and relegating the first choices to second choices, we''re probably looking at spending more than we can afford. This will be more true as time ticks on should we not get promoted.We don''t have too many who''d be ready to step up, as our ''future'' players are mostly raw early twenty-somethings. If we don''t go up this season or next, then instead of challenging we''d potentially be spending at least a few seasons rebuilding.We''ve not sold/released quite as many as we should upon relegation and are relying too heavily on the same faces. Many in our squad are past their best (eg Whittaker and Turner) probably on reasonably good wages given their experience, and it''s harder to offload them because of this. Things wouldn''t be as bad if we had a generally younger team (not necessarily drastically younger).As things stand, we might free up wages by letting a few players go, but I don''t think this will be enough to dig us out of the hole we''re in.

[quote user="Move Klose"]There''s different types of squad players:

Ones AN doesn''t fancy but couldn''t ship out:

Ruddy, Bassong, Turner, Mulumbu, Naismith, Lafferty

Ones AN does wanna keep but don''t really wanna be here:

Klose, Olsson, Brady

Ones AN has kept who aren''t good enough:

McGovern, Whittaker, Andreu, Jarvis

Ones AN shouldve kept in squad or be playing more of:

Thompson, Pritchard, Maddison, Toffolo, Rudd[/quote]

Agreed. Thompson should be in for Tettey. Maddison should be in for Pritchard. Pritchard should have been a defender. Toffolo should be in for Olsson. Anyone but Martin. Anyone but Bennett. Anyone but Turner. Anyone but Bassong. Anyone but Whittaker. Anyone but Pinto. Anyone but Klose.

For matters to start to be rectified the following needs to happen:

1. David Gold to replace Stowmarket Two.

2. Allardyce to replace Neil.

3. Christophe Berra to be signed on 1 Jan.

Lol

I''m sure there''s some on here in a private competition to see who can say the most ridiculous thing. You must be winning Yorky.....

The club likes to balance the books, so it''ll be quality that goes down. Hence I think we''re more likely to finish up like poundland than BHS.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Lol

I''m sure there''s some on here in a private competition to see who can say the most ridiculous thing. You must be winning Yorky.....[/quote]

I''d say big Vince tbh

I''ve said for a while that we''re consistently underperforming in the transfer market. We keep signing players who don''t actually improve the first team and so we are still relying on a core of players who have consistently let us down. Again this summer we''ve spent £15m on 3 players who''ve combined for a total of 3 league starts by November, while we still try and work out whether Ryan Bennett or Russell Martin is a better bet in defence.

Controversial opinion, but I actually think when he''s fit Matt Jarvis, could be in the reckoning to start a decent number of games for Norwich. Brady is playing like a man who is either horribly out of form or doesn''t want to be here. I''ll leave it for others to judge which one is more likely.

Whilst Pritchard rather like Hoolahan can play on the left, it is something of a fudge and you''re never going to see him produce his best football in that part of the pitch. So there''s definitely a space open for either Jarvis or Josh Murphy. Given that Jarvis does the defensive stuff better I think he''d be preferred by Neil.

Whether Jarvis can actually stay fit is of course an entirely different question altogether.