Sign in to follow this  
westcoastcanary

Groundhog Day .....

….. but who, for God’s sake, thought it would be a

good idea to cross a groundhog with a lemming? As a result, when Groundhog Day

comes round again, we have the same stampede of yellow-coated lemmings from the

Carrow Road stands and over the same old cliff.

Someone on another thread referred to rebellious

players pissed off with having to “slum it” (as they see it) in English

football’s second tier. Trouble is, the players who think playing in the

Championship is below them (if there actually are any) are far from alone;

exactly the same attitude is shared by many thousands of Carrow Road fans. And

just look at the agonising, bitterness, frustration, anger and other negative,

soul-destroying reactions generated, all because we just maybe won''t get back

immediately to "our proper place" in the EPL.

It used to be fun going to games, home and away.

Nobody bothered with the league table, because bottom two never threatened and

promotion was a pipedream. You hoped for an enjoyable game, and if the Canaries

turned over the opposition and emerged with the points so much the better; if

not, well it wasn’t all doom and gloom presaging the end of the world.

Afterwards there was a lot more laughter than ever there were tears, and more

of the same to look forward to the following Saturday.

There

are a few on here for whom the fun hasn’t ever stopped. With every passing Groundhog

Day, it becomes more of a mystery to me why the rest don’t join them.

Good stuff.

I still enjoy going to games, win or lose, does that make me odd?

I will never understand the mentality of folks who whinge endlessly but keep on going.

[quote user="morty"]Good stuff.

I will never understand the mentality of folks who whinge endlessly but keep on going.[/quote]

No.

Sometimes we are bloody hopeless like Saturday, other times we are sublime like, erm, the second half at Forest.

The point is that it''s like my wife''s cooking. When it''s good, it''s brilliant and I devour it like an angry wolf. When it''s bad, I eat what I can and order a curry later.

Irrespective of what''s served up, I love her.

That''s what being a Norwich fan is.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]….. but who, for God’s sake, thought it would be a

good idea to cross a groundhog with a lemming? As a result, when Groundhog Day

comes round again, we have the same stampede of yellow-coated lemmings from the

Carrow Road stands and over the same old cliff.

Someone on another thread referred to rebellious

players pissed off with having to “slum it” (as they see it) in English

football’s second tier. Trouble is, the players who think playing in the

Championship is below them (if there actually are any) are far from alone;

exactly the same attitude is shared by many thousands of Carrow Road fans. And

just look at the agonising, bitterness, frustration, anger and other negative,

soul-destroying reactions generated, all because we just maybe won''t get back

immediately to "our proper place" in the EPL.

It used to be fun going to games, home and away.

Nobody bothered with the league table, because bottom two never threatened and

promotion was a pipedream. You hoped for an enjoyable game, and if the Canaries

turned over the opposition and emerged with the points so much the better; if

not, well it wasn’t all doom and gloom presaging the end of the world.

Afterwards there was a lot more laughter than ever there were tears, and more

of the same to look forward to the following Saturday.

There

are a few on here for whom the fun hasn’t ever stopped. With every passing Groundhog

Day, it becomes more of a mystery to me why the rest don’t join them.

[/quote]

@IBT
It''s not the likes of me and morty hankering after "the good old days"; it''s the pant wetting malcontents who are doing exactly that. I used the past tense to make the comparison, but the reality is that, for the vast majority of fans throughout the country (not to mention other countries), "how it used to be", as I put it, is how it still is. 

For some, self destruction is in their very nature. They will go after it and pursue it untill it becomes a reality.

Saturday is a test of bottle for the players, no doubt.

It''s also a test of bottle for those fans that are crying their eyes out because they aren''t on match of the day

Have you got the bottle?

I''ve started booing my wife when she clears away the main course, and then slow handclapping during dessert, which I don''t finish because I flounce out to the pub with two spoonfuls to go.

And don''t even start me on "bedroom stuff".

Ah, the good old days. Yellow shirts and black shorts, Match of the Week, black and white telly, p****ing in a trough on the ground at the back of the river end banking, half time score numbers on hooks. But yes we were happy. Win or lose it was enjoyable. Too much money around now. Players not happy unless feeding from the top table. Apathy creeps in. Wall to wall football several nights of the week. The game is not special anymore, for some of the fans and it seems, alarmingly for a few of the players. Saturday will reveal much.

I appreciate the sentiments of the op, but there are two sides to it - yes we want to enjoy our team when they play, but if they look as if they are not trying, or are not focused on the job, or the pressure has got to them, then something needs to change.  Saturday was a nightmare match. We''ve had three of them away from home now. Birmingham, Newcastle and now Brighton.  If they want fans to show unmitigating support, they have to sort themselves out.

Is a supporter really a true one if he stops going just because his team isn''t winning every week?

I go home and away spends thousands in the process therefore if I am served utter sh@t like Saturday I have every right to show my dissatisfaction

It is not a one off nearly all of the Callander year 2016 has been poor

But football debate will never change, it''s just the medium which has. Now you don''t just get the miserable, or overly happy, bloke next to you. Or chat with a few mates in the pub. You can share your views with thousands of people who can happily debate, or cyberbully, with you.

When things aren''t going right it is not a bad thing to start wondering why. Just as the news rarely carries good stories: "Mrs Jones didn''t get run over on her way to work this morning" so it is easier to focus on things that need improvement, of which at the moment there seem to be several.

There will always be a spectrum of views from those who see nothing wrong and just turn up for probably a snooze and a half time cocoa to those who are truly looking at everything negatively. Most sit somewhere in the middle. But the beauty of a forum like this is that we can see that whole spectrum and attempts to quash free speech in matters of football debate are in my view philosophically wrong.

[quote user="morty"]Is a supporter really a true one if he stops going just because his team isn''t winning every week?[/quote]
I wish some of them would!

Anywhere away from all the happy clappy husbands who accept whatever muck they are dished up because they think marriage is for better or worse. Honestly, those people.

@Tumbleweed
No-one is trying to quash free speech or control debate on the forum. My OP was simply pointing out that you don''t need your team to be among the top x% to have fun supporting it, for any value of x (being in the EPL is being in the top 1% of teams in the hierarchy of England league football). 

Enjoyed this ''impressionistic'' post. This forum needs more of them. Makes a point but doesn''t take itself too seriously.

Only problem with the OP is after 15 seasons of not caring what division in you''re suddenly Ipswich Town and everything is all terrible and Ipswich-y

[quote user="hogesar"]Only problem with the OP is after 15 seasons of not caring what division in you''re suddenly Ipswich Town and everything is all terrible and Ipswich-y[/quote] [:D] We always contrive to outdo them though hog, it''s only taken 5 years of yo-yoing for everything to become terrible and Norwich-y!
Whatever, as I see it, your "not caring what division you are in" misses the point. It is perfectly possible to aspire to something better while still mining a rich seam of enjoyment from where you are. I dare say there are even Town supporters of whom this is true [;)]

Man after my own heart Westy. Before they know it life will have passed them by. They will look back on all those wasted hours spent blubbing. Headstones will probably say something like : -
Here lies the body of Canary Stu
Never missed a game but enjoyed only two.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="morty"]Good stuff.

I will never understand the mentality of folks who whinge endlessly but keep on going.[/quote]

No.

Sometimes we are bloody hopeless like Saturday, other times we are sublime like, erm, the second half at Forest.

The point is that it''s like my wife''s cooking. When it''s good, it''s brilliant and I devour it like an angry wolf. When it''s bad, I eat what I can and order a curry later.

Irrespective of what''s served up, I love her.

That''s what being a Norwich fan is.[/quote]

Just showed my wife this. She smiled and said "that''s lovely".

P.S. She hasn''t been drinking either.

I enjoy going to games. Lucky really, as it''s an absolute pain in the arse to get there from where I live.

I''m not the loudest in the ground (the Jarrold doesn''t really stand for that sort of thing) but I support my team and have also done a couple of away trips this season.

I also kind of agree with not caring too much about the divison we''re in- my most enjoyable seasons following Norwich have come in a variety of divisions.

But I''m not going to tell anyone else how to support their team and what they should do or say in or out of the ground. I''ve booed on occasions, I''ve left early and I stand by it all.

@king canary
This isn''t about telling anybody how they should do anything; it''s simply drawing attention to the possibility and attractions of an alternative attitude, an attitude which allows millions of fans world-wide to have fun supporting teams whatever their place in the football hierarchy. If some prefer to impose on themselves a state of almost constant dissatisfaction, with only the briefest intervals of relief, that is their business. But as I said in the final sentence of my OP, it''s an ever-increasing mystery to me why they do. 

Groundhog Day?

"I eard that ''X'' did ''X'' from a mate of mine and I was all the managers fault and john ruddy ate a house cat 100% legit"

I love my team ,,, go to every match at home and some away .

I hate it when we lose ,, it spoils my week .

Any " so called " supporter who enjoys us losing ? Not sure what you call that 😳

As the saying goes " show me a good loser ... and I will show you a loser "