Sign in to follow this  
Woodman

Who gave up?

Somewhat fortunately I was out of contact all weekend and can''t bring myself to watch any highlights or to trawl through all the posts here since 5pm on Saturday. Who is Russell Martin talking about when he said ''too many lads gave up''?

Probably just a general comment that a side that started the day 3rd in the table looking pretty managed to get thrashed 5-0. You don''t lose 5-0 by accident.

I guess we will see what AN thinks when we see the line-up for the next game, but in truth all 11 deserve no dignity after that. Not really sure you can even call it a "performance"

Tettey was just one of those that didn''t perform . He Couldnt get off the pitch quick enough at the final whistle when at least some of the players did come over to offer some sort of apologetic acknowledgement

Tetty in a midfield with Dorrans, Jacob, Wessi and Pritchard. We lost 5-0. If you constantly saw Tetty struggling why didn''t you notice the other four.

[quote user="Woodman"] Who is Russell Martin talking about when he said ''too many lads gave up''?[/quote]

Iwans Big ToeHighland CanaryPete

I think the issue with Tettey is that he pretty much features prominently in almost all of the goals conceded on Saturday but doesn''t actually really do anything to prevent them.

For the 5th goal, Klose & Tettey gave up. Klose trys to be far too clever, falls over and looks like an idiot. Tettey stands with his arm in the air as the ball rolls about a yard to the side of him, 5 seconds later Brighton score.

The unconvincing Irishman in goal who does not command his box and has me thinking Ruddy is far better takes a fair amount of blame for that disaster on Saturday

One could say most of the ''Happy Clappers'' have given up but that would be inflammatory!😉😉

Maybe some of the players said at half time that these tactics and formation are not working etc

told to get on with it and were proved right

[quote user="Move Klose"]Well McGovern Bennett Klose & Tettey all need dropping.[/quote]

Which leaves a CB pairing of Bassong & Martin...

Heaven help us...

[quote user="Ron Manager"]One could say most of the ''Happy Clappers'' have given up but that would be inflammatory!😉😉[/quote]
[:D] But as you well know Ron, nothing could ever happen to make a true Happy Clapper give up. All that alters is the degree of pity felt for those unfortunates, the Pant Wetters. 

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Maybe some of the players said at half time that these tactics and formation are not working etc

told to get on with it and were proved right[/quote]

Yes that would be how I saw it. We were in complete control of the game at that stage but with a real lack of quality from midfield, Murphy and Pritchard were ineffective and had little impact. It called for a tactical change at half time with the introduction of two out of Brady/Naismith/Oliviera, but this happened about 10 mins from the end which was totally pointless. As expected at that stage of the game they made no impact, and in particular Oliviera does not impress me at all.

[quote user="Clint"]I think the issue with Tettey is that he pretty much features prominently in almost all of the goals conceded on Saturday but doesn''t actually really do anything to prevent them.[/quote]
Where were the players who didn''t feature prominently in almost all of the goals?

I gave up !!

Never left a footy match early in my life, but as the ball hit the back of the net for the fifth time and with the prospect of an hour waiting for the bus back to the park and ride and 3 hrs drive back to Norfolk I turned to the Missus and said lets get the fook outta here, Its going to get hostile when the final whistle goes !

Best moment of the day was as we boarded the bus back to the car a little lad about 8 yrs old stood with his Dad and elder sister wearing his Brighton shirt with a grin from ear to ear....I said jokingly to him bet you enjoyed that one to which his Dad replied it was his first ever game.....I said nostalgically to the little lad "then this is a day you will never forget" fondly remembering being stood behind the goal in the river end Sept ''77 watching Kevin Reeves amongst others stick 4 past Brum without reply......

I knew you would come back with that NN and it''s a fair comment. I guess all I''m saying is Tettey looks like he had a bad game due to the high/low lights, to those that didn''t witness the whole shambles. Whether he was any worse than anyone else, I couldn''t say.

I Hope and Imagine that the CEO knows who gave up and is asking them why

Now if we are getting a bit of a revolt against the manager and his tactics / training its not looking good

why would a group of player just down tools give up ?

i think they turned on RM and AN the way the interview sounded to me captain & manager against the team ??

i really can not see a way back for AN

why are the players that unhappy when we are 4th ??

I didn''t agree with the team selection Clint. I felt that Alex had caved in to the demands for Pritchard to replace Brady. I thought it left us short of energy in the midfield and made the point on here last week. Howsons a huge loss which is the point Alex made when explaining the team for Preston.

Trouble is we all follow the play and then see the end result. I call it the Doc Syndrome where all we see is one player calling to cope and don''t question why the players he''s struggling to cope with have no one tracking them.

The thing with players like Brady, Howson and Tetty is that they have massive energy and get back, not always to win the ball but to cut down on the options available to the attacking team.

I gave up, stop watching the stream at 3-0, sorry couldn''t take anymore
As for players who gave up, I''m sure Alex wont play them Sat so we''ll know then.

I can''t say I noticed Bennett at all in the last half hour, and conceding 4 in that time I would interpret that as a player that went into hiding.

Tettey and Dorrans are currently caught in no-mans land where we need bodies into the box to attack and bodies back to defend; they don''t have the athleticism for that and as such played most of the game on each other''s toes. I wouldn''t say they gave up, but I think it''s most definitely now a case of either/or than playing both together.

Martin''s outburst has probably made life difficult for his manager. Of course Tetty can''t play so there''s a change that doesn''t necessarily mean he gave up. Any other changes will immediately brand someone a quitter.

Tettey is one the players many have accused of giving up.

If he is, can we blame him ? AN has fielded a pretty attack minded looking side against Brighton. In fact haven''t shown the home team any respect. Brighton are right up there, yet we have Pritchard, Hoolahan & Murphy supporting Jerome in attack and Dorrans besides Tettey. So in terms of defensive structure, Tettey has a lightweight 3 in front of him, a lightweight in Dorrans next to him, and an absolutely crap defence behind him ( including a plonker for a keeper) - what''s Tettey to do ??? He''s shovelling sh1t uphill !

Tettey is not the one that needs dropping - he needs support. We need to simply bring back Howson when ready & Brady (although he''s pants on attack) in place of Pritchard & Dorrans. Dorrans just doesn''t cut it defensively in the middle of the pitch.

AN is not that bad a manager. Despite the last 2 results he has us hovering just below the top 2. I wouldn''t just get rid of him if no capable & ready replacement can come in. Bruce was available but we''ve missed the boat with that one. Don''t want to end up like Wolves a couple of seasons ago. Acted too fast, no replacement and relegated with the number 2 in charge.

well i think we had enough defenders in fact set up with 7 players in defence and 4 attckers !

the balance is wrong how can a team player with GK

4 defenders 2 DM conceded so many goals

problem is with that the 4 attacking players are outnumbered and the ball does not stick up front so pushes up backwards

i think the the players saw this and confronted the manager at half time and the captain stuck up for him at full time

[quote user="Woodman"]Somewhat fortunately I was out of contact all weekend and can''t bring myself to watch any highlights or to trawl through all the posts here since 5pm on Saturday. Who is Russell Martin talking about when he said ''too many lads gave up''?[/quote]

Well, I can tell you that I have now watched that second goal for the umpteenth time and if anyone is guilty of giving up it is the boy Martin himself. Instead of tracking the Brighton player all the way to the by line and getting a tackle in, he gives up the chase and simply ambles into the middle of the box to get a good view of the goal being scored. If ever there was a case of right-back negligence this is it.

Martin would do well to start walking the walk instead of talking the talk. Shameful.

Allardyce in. Everyone else out.