Sign in to follow this  
pete

Search for another keeper

The papers are reporting City are looking for a new keeper. 22 year old Swindon keeper on list apparently. Just what we need!

Declan isn''t getting you promoted from this league.

Should have been after Dan Bentley.

I can''t see us getting another goalkeeper this season. Aside from Saturday, where he was abysmal, McGovern has generally been pretty solid. You could argue he was at fault for Newcastle''s winner but otherwise he hadn''t really put a foot wrong until Brighton.

I hope Neil keeps his nerve and picks him again. Ruddy was poor against Leeds in the cup and he was also very shaky against Blackburn under no real pressure at all. So he''s not made a pressing case for inclusion and McGovern should still have some credit in the bank after his earlier decent performances.

I think signing a goalkeeper will be an absolute certainty in the summer. Ruddy is out of contract in the summer and I think will undoubtedly move on. Given that he''ll be on sizeable wages for a goalkeeper who is no longer first choice.

The club also need to make a firm decision on Declan Rudd. He''s been in the first team squad since 2009 without ever estsblishing himself. The club now either need to decide if he''s going to be first choice or let him move on. I very much suspect it will be the latter.

[quote user="Jacko"]I can''t see us getting another goalkeeper this season. Aside from Saturday, where he was abysmal, McGovern has generally been pretty solid. You could argue he was at fault for Newcastle''s winner but otherwise he hadn''t really put a foot wrong until Brighton.

I hope Neil keeps his nerve and picks him again. Ruddy was poor against Leeds in the cup and he was also very shaky against Blackburn under no real pressure at all. So he''s not made a pressing case for inclusion and McGovern should still have some credit in the bank after his earlier decent performances.

I think signing a goalkeeper will be an absolute certainty in the summer. Ruddy is out of contract in the summer and I think will undoubtedly move on. Given that he''ll be on sizeable wages for a goalkeeper who is no longer first choice.

The club also need to make a firm decision on Declan Rudd. He''s been in the first team squad since 2009 without ever estsblishing himself. The club now either need to decide if he''s going to be first choice or let him move on. I very much suspect it will be the latter.[/quote]

Agree with every word of that.   I think McGovern had a howler on Saturday, but that''s the first time he''s the one that''s made the mistakes in a match.  On evidence of Leeds, Ruddy continues to look unconfident too imo. I''m mystified why Rudd wasn''t given a go this season, he continually does well on loan and did ok in the premier league apart from one bad mistake. 

The concern I have for Rudd is that he''s been managed by 5 different managers, in 3 different divisions, across 8 seasons - Gunn, Lambert, Hughton, Adams and Neil.

None of them have seen fit to make him first choice for a sustained period of time (aside from the run he got last year). Are all of these managers getting it wrong? (Gunn aside who clearly did get the GK issue wrong).

I think it''s become a situation where the club have to have the courage of their convictions and now bite on the bullet one way or another. I''d love to Rudd make it but I fear he''s going to have to move on for the sake of his career.

Nothing wrong with continuing to plan for the future - its not going to stop because we havent won in 3.

Having dropped down a league and loaning rudd out in the last year of its contract I think its highly unlikely he will be here next season.

Likewise the long term future of the rest is questionable.

Would we have bought McGovern if he hadn''t played under AN previously? I strongly doubt it. He''s an OK keeper, but no better than Rudd or Ruddy, and none of them are good enough for the Premier League - If we do go up, we need someone of a much higher calibre, with any one of the current three as backup - Rudd would probably be my choice as he''s the youngest and still has the potential to develop further.