Sign in to follow this  
unique

Time to play three at the back?

With Pinto and Olsson eager to attack rather than defend, and with Tettey contributing absolutely sweet FA to either the attack or defence, should AN be trying three at the back?

Dispense with Tettey, and play Martin, Bennett and Klose. Martin''s role could be to cover either full-back whenever they are attacking, as well as providing more cover at set-pieces.

Dorrans can play the defensive midfield role, but with the added bonus that he can actually pass a football.

Trying something different can''t be any worse than continuing with the current weekly defensive disaster.

Time to play six at the back?

Pinto Martin Bennett Klose Bassong Olsson

I still think we''d concede though...

It would be a horrible mess. But since it''s a horrible mess anyway....

I actually think this would suit us. Shame we have internationals in the back 5 else we could have used the break to think about it.

I think we are underestimating the value of surprising the opposition and should consider 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1. Too narrow? Perhaps switch to 0-10-0 at half time - we have the squad for it.

Personally think Olsson could play the 3rd spot in a back 3 with Martin & Klose, with Pinto & Brady wingback.

But I also think Brady would work well in the centre midfield of a 4231 or the wingback system.

[quote user="unique"]With Pinto and Olsson eager to attack rather than defend, and with Tettey contributing absolutely sweet FA to either the attack or defence, should AN be trying three at the back?

Dispense with Tettey, and play Martin, Bennett and Klose. Martin''s role could be to cover either full-back whenever they are attacking, as well as providing more cover at set-pieces.

Dorrans can play the defensive midfield role, but with the added bonus that he can actually pass a football.

Trying something different can''t be any worse than continuing with the current weekly defensive disaster.[/quote]

Time to stop panicking! Chopping and changing formations is not the answer!