Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

Pinto OUT for tomorrow

Gutted!

We have missed him big time recently and was really hoping he would be available for tomorrow.

A real weapon going forward for us and improving defensively game by game.

Who starts at right back tomorrow then with Whittaker also out injured.

Martin/Godfrey?

Looks like Bennett will get a vote of confidence at centre back then. The combination of him and Russ at full back will now be a target for the dirty gets.

Thank god Whittaker is injured.
Given the nature of last week''s defensive display, I think Russ will be moved to CB and Bennett dropped as a scapegoat (I''ve not bothered watching the goals back, so I dont know who especially was to blame. but my instinct is that he will make at least one defensive change and it will probably be Bennett making way rightly or wrongly).
I think Godfrey will start, I actually think a few of the kids will start tomorrow and it will be a bit of a "shock" selection.
Thompson is nailed on to start I would think, and I suspect we may see both Murphys starting together.

He''s a huge miss. So is Howson. Two players who we don''t have like for like replacements.

If Whitts is fit It prefer him at rb to Martin. He gets up and down much quicker. Pinto was his upgrade.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]A difficult game with the manager under pressure and you think he''ll play all the kids ? I don''t think so[/quote]
So you think after last week''s capitulation and his comments about some of the players this week, he''s going to stick to the status quo? I don''t think so.

As I said earlier in the week I believe Russell Martin has made the team selection very difficult for his manager. Anybody other than Tetty who Neil leaves out will immediately be branded a quitter. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]He''s a huge miss. So is Howson. Two players who we don''t have like for like replacements.[/quote]Better make that three if ever Jerome gets injured or suspended.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]As I said earlier in the week I believe Russell Martin has made the team selection very difficult for his manager. Anybody other than Tetty who Neil leaves out will immediately be branded a quitter. [/quote]

The manager can''t win imo.   From the fans'' point of view, if he selects the same team he will be accused of cowardice, if he changes it and we lose he will give more ammunition for the doubters.    From the players point of view, if he keeps the same team, the others in the squad will have even more reason to be disatisfied, but if he changes it anyone he leaves out will be seen as the scapegoats for last week.  Not an easy weekend for the manager, but imo he will select almost the same team as last week "to give them a chance to redeem themselves". 

I think that too LDC. His only way out of this is to have the players firmly behind him, get them to put in a performance and win the game. He''s more likely to do that with his best 11 and that means starting with a similar line up.

If he feels he can''t get that group to perform for whatever reason then he will have no option but to throw in some of the fringe players. We''ll know much more about the support he has in the dressing room and the reaction to last week he''s seen on the training pitch when we see what team he puts out.

The only way the manager can "win"is by getting a result, if we have a victory his selection will be justified, if we lose he will be castigated and he will have got it wrong, for him it''s as simple as that.

Not sure where we stand with a draw.😀

I don''t think any reasonable supporter would expect anyone other than Martin at right back if Pinto and Whitaker are both injured. Godfrey wasn''t great against Leeds a couple of weeks back and IMO it''s too early for him and first team action. The choice of centre backs could be interesting and Bennett is usually the first to be dropped. I''m expecting Bassong along side Klose unless AN makes the very brave decision to drop him! I''m not expecting much width either with Brady and Ja Murphy tucking in most of the while to bolster the midfield. It''s going to be a tight old game. OTBC.

[quote user="VanWink"]The only way the manager can "win"is by getting a result, if we have a victory his selection will be justified, if we lose he will be castigated and he will have got it wrong, for him it''s as simple as that.

Not sure where we stand with a draw.😀[/quote]It''s getting to the stage where it''s not just the win that counts it''s the performance too. I don''t think a half-a*sed win is going to do much for AN in the popularity stakes.Just to add to the fun this is the sort of game where we could be all over them and Robert Green goes and plays a once-a-season blinder.

Maddison is, by all accounts, a skillful & gifted player.

But he''s just too small. Opposition teams have rapidly realised the way to beat us largely depends on their ability to out-muscle us. We really need some physical presence, especially in midfield - although it''s all over the field really.