Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Congratulations Wes.

Great stuff, stayed loyal to us through so many ups and downs since his signing, and has been part of our best moments in recent history. Congratulations Wes, like a fine wine - better with age.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Best City player of the last twenty years.[/quote]Darren Eadie and Hucks would like a word with you...

I''d rather have Wes over Eadie anyday.

Now Wes, Hucks and Holty - it''s like deciding which one of your children you should save. It''s not a question you want to deal with.

I do miss the way Holty and Wes linked up - oh how we could do with a centre forward like him in our squad, we have still never replaced him.

I remember quite vividly our home game against QPR. We were 1-1 and Lambert threw on Wes and Holt as subs to try and change the game and they came on, linked up and did the business to end a dire winless run. I remember at the time laughing and thinking "here come the cavalry!" but they came up trumps like so many other times. But like I said, I still think we''d get more out of Wes if he had someone like Holt to play with.

[quote user="The gut"]I''d rather have Wes over Eadie anyday.[/quote]Really?If it wasn''t for the injury problems I would have fully expected Eadie to become a full time England player and probably get a move to a top 6 side within a relatively short amount of time.He really would have been the answer to Englands left-side problem that we had for years, as well as offering genuine attacking menace as he had pace to burn, great technique and knew where the back of the net was.Wes has been a great servant no doubt, but he''s often been inconsisent and has never scored enough for someone in that position for my liking.Still, horses for courses.

To be fair Indy_B all your points are understandable and it''s like comparing apples and oranges. I''m probably getting more enjoyment out of Wes than I remember getting from Eadie.

I get where you''re both coming from, but Eadie is one of those players I''ll always remember watching and thinking ''wow'', he plays for US!He was also the first name I ever had put on a shirt, so maybe I''m slightly biased, but even watching old footage of him makes we wish we could have him back now, he''d own that left side spot (like Hucks would) as well as being able to cover upfront if needed.

Wes is better than hucks and eadie in my book but they are all quite different it''s hard to compare.

With wes every time he gets the ball im happy, can''t explain it.

Holt was maybe better the watch in that he was so dedicated he wore his heart out there for all to see it was impressive.

Eadie was good in spells, especially remember him linking well with Keith O''Neill, Eadie was exciting at times, too many injuries, a personal thing for me, Wes is more of a craftsman, and Holty was just a legend for being Holty, doubt we will see another like him.

Holt by his own admission wouldn''t have been the player he was for us without Wes. For me Wes was and still is an upgrade on Hucks (although different players) he''s the one player who still looks for the ball when things aren''t going well.

If he wasn''t so one footed he''d be plying his trade elsewhere. so let''s enjoy him.

Wes deserves a testimonial.

NCFC vs RoI. Nothing like that since the Martin Peters testimonial and both two of our greatest ever players although no one trumps Wes for loyalty in my book.