Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Yellow

So what actually happened that day?

And before anyone takes issue with the board backing Worthy with Hucks , I do know who paid his wages like everyone else, but I still stand by it was the board taking a leap with some other expensive wages that year. That , and a decent run of injuries , clinched promotion that year imo.

The game against Cardiff, where Huckerby absolutely tore them to shreds, was the crossroads of the season. Somehow sign him and probably go up, or let him walk away, probably join Wigan or West Brom (both I think wanted him) and watch as they get promoted instead.

Say what you like about the board but flanked with the signings of Mckenzie and Svensson they made it happen that year. Unfortunately, it just meant we''d used a lot of our money up before we''d enough got to the Premier League as a result.

Worthy had lost the dressing room (mostly) in the weeks leading up to that game and it was evident to all they didn''t want to play for him as soon as it kicked off.

The atmosphere was poisonous but fully the fault of the board who dithered, dallied and buried their hands in the sand for 12 months whilst they desperately hoped their friend could turn it round.

It must have been heart breaking for them.... i think if they''d acted on relegation from the premiership, when it became onvious Worthy was out of his depth, we''d have bounced back quicker and been established.