Sign in to follow this  
Ark

Peter Crouch expected to face Austria. Discuss...

Just been browsing BBC Sport and found this quote from Alan Shearer: "Peter has not scored for Liverpool yet this season but by all accounts he has done very well."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4312694.stm

Worthy and the Norwich board made a judgement decision not to sign Crouch last season in favour of Dean Ashton. Crouch has done little or nothing to prove them wrong, yet he''s expected to start in a crucial qualifier for his country on Saturday. Did I miss something??

Best decision the board ever made.   He''s useless unless you consider his qualities for causing confusion in opposition penalty areas due to his sheer size...but that''s the sort of thing that Owen will pick up on...

"Worthy and the Norwich board made a judgement decision not to sign Crouch last season in favour of Dean Ashton. Crouch has done little or nothing to prove them wrong, yet he''s expected to start in a crucial qualifier for his country on Saturday. Did I miss something??"

Did you miss something?  12 goals for a team that finished bottom of the league in what was pretty much half a season.  There was also the £7m transfer fee......

He plays for one of the ''big'' teams now. Gives him an automatic spot doesn''t it?  He isn''t a bad player though, it''s not as if Liverpool are an attacking side are they? Four league goals all season tells it''s own boring depressing story.

I guess maybe if we''d let Ashton go to a big team in the summer he would have come in for consideration too.

To be honest, I found the move to Liverpool bizzare enough in itself (at least with Champions League victory considered), but to coutenance his place in the starting lineup for England in a crucial qualifier without a goal to his name this season is a bit of an ask for any sane man.

Don''t get me wrong here, Crouch did a great job for us in the First Division, but with his run at Southampton last season aside, he has failed to make the step up to the top level.

If you want the size up front, go for Heskey. He has his detractors, but I''d rate him as better than Crouch in every category other than height, and he''s scored this season to boot! Plus he''s played with Owen and formed a successful partnership on numerous occasions.

At the end of the day, last summer we obviously couldn''t afford a top striker.  We didn''t get the pennies together until January.  By that time Crouch was obviously at Southampton and we didn''t have the oppertunity to buy him.  Deano was available, so we went for him.  I would certainly pick Ashton over Crouch anyday.  I''m damn sure Deano will have a longer and more distinguished England career than Crouch will!

i dont think he is going to do anything at Liverpool. Totally over priced. I can see him having good runs, then having a transfer, then doing nothing and the cycle starts again with a loan

i like Crouchy, i thought he did ok here and wish him well....

If he does play, and indeed fires England to the world cup, the sun will shine out of his backside in the press will it not?

jas

I would have Dean Ashton in my XI any time over Crouch.

I hope he does well on Saturday though as I like the chap but at the moment it seems everyday we get a Crouch quote in the media. He is certainly talking a good game whether it be about Liverpool knowing how to beat Chelsea or how he is the right man for England. I think he should at the moment concentrate on finding the back of the net on a regular basis and let his football do the talking instead.

seems like a decent enough bloke, but his England call up seems premature to me. When he''s been slotting them away week in week out for Liverpool then perhaps. I''d rather see Defoe or Smith in there instead. As others have said, if Ashton was playing for a big 5 club then he''d be in the England setup. Sad, but it''s always ever been thus. Ashton''s got a better all round game and finisher IMO.

seems like a decent enough bloke, but his England call up seems premature to me. When he''s been slotting them away week in week out for Liverpool then perhaps. I''d rather see Defoe or Smith in there instead. As others have said, if Ashton was playing for a big 5 club then he''d be in the England setup. Sad, but it''s always ever been thus. Ashton''s got a better all round game and finisher IMO.

I cannot believe he is an international player by any stretch of the imagination. Never ever. Surely we have a better alternative...even Heskey? (Puts on tin hat and jumps into trench)

Peter Crouch is am average player, if Rio was dropped for poor form how has Crouch made the team, 0 goals in 8 games, when Darren Bent has scored 8 in 8 games. Personally I would have bent in before Crouch, but hey i''m not paid £5 million to hump my secretary!