Sign in to follow this  
gazzathegreat

just a bit concerned

about the levels of nastiness creeping up on this board

There are plenty of views on here that i disagree with, but to call someone stupid or a binner is both personal and fails to address the point the other poster has made.

Can''t we all just post our views about the team without nasty little backchats to posters we know hold a different view to us?

Just because a poster holds an entirely different viewpoint to you doesn''t make him or her any less of a supporter, it means they see the game differently. 

This message board still holds a great reputation as being fair and full of lively football debate, but lately most of the debate seems to be about who is right and who can sling the most insults at others.

Sorry to go on, but it is a sad day if posters (new or old) are deterred from posting their opinions because they are going to get slatted for it.  Hoping that things improve soon..........

[quote]about the levels of nastiness creeping up on this board There are plenty of views on here that i disagree with, but to call someone stupid or a binner is both personal and fails to address the point ...[/quote]

I agree - give me a reasoned argument about why my views are wrong and I can be talked around, or at least respect you for having a view even if it differs from mine (filletthefishwife springs to mind here - we rarely see eye to eye yet I can see, understand and respect his view point as he explains his thinking - even if FTFW junior seems to have a better (alright views more similar to mine) undesrtanding of football&nbsp 

It is, or rather was that approach that made this board stand out from the rest (its sure as heck is not the response time that brings me back but thats another post!)

Compare that to the numerous 1 line responses from posters questioning others loyalty, parentage etc and its no wonder I have no or little time for those posters.  These posts add nothing to the purpose of this board - discussing the club - and create spiteful divisions out of nothing. 

If any of my responses have become personal & offended posters in the past I make a universal apology now in case I have not apologised previously.

Kick abuse out - the campaign starts here... 

OTBC

There’s a place in
Your heart
And I know that it is love
And this place could
Be much
Brighter than tomorrow
And if you really try
You’ll find there’s no need
To cry
In this place you’ll feel
There’s no hurt or sorrow

There are ways
To get there
If you care enough
For the living
Make a little space
Make a better place...

Heal the world
Make it a better place
For you and for me
And the entire human race
There are people dying
If you care enough
For the living
Make a better place
For you and for me

Gazza I completely agree, this board has turned a bit nasty, there is alot of slating for just expressing one opinion or another.

I think one problem has been the recent form prompting Worthy In / Worthy Out debates, which are ok but have strayed into ''Im positive / youre negative'', then into ''Im a realist / youre a fool'' (''no, IM a realist, YOURE a fool'') type arguments, and ultimatley ''Im a better fan than you''.

It really is detracting from an otherwise great site with a good community, with one thing in common - WE SUPPORT NORWICH CITY.

So come, give peace a chance..

Is it a worry that nfc 4 prem spent his time looking
for jackson lyrics, clearly a binner you mean stuff like that

I have been thinking about this for a while, and have kept out of it completely up until now. However, it is irritating when a sensible debate is turned into a "I''ve been to every game for 5 years, even when my mother died" etc. etc. I say that from now on, whenever someone posts an ''I''m a better fan argument'' the post is abandoned and no longer added to.

Any agreement?

[quote]about the levels of nastiness creeping up on this board There are plenty of views on here that i disagree with, but to call someone stupid or a binner is both personal and fails to address the point ...[/quote]

Gazza, I tend to ignore these "cheap shot" individuals who find and deem it necessary to slate other posters on this board..... What I find unbelievable, is that they''re probably (and are) intelligent individuals- who are guilty of "giving it large" to anyone that doesn''t share their points of view.

I  can visualise the scenario: Staring at their monitor''s through bloodshot eye''s - like a peregrine falcon waiting for a target- whilst rapidly clicking on the ''refresh'' button. Swigging occasionally from a litre bottle of Smirnoff with their free hand - and pouring dry roast peanuts down their gullet like a stoker shovels coal into a ''full ahead'' battleships'' boiler. Waiting....waiting....."There''s one!"  "The flamin'' barsteward! I don''t bloody believe it! the scummer wants Worthy Out?! ''Righty ho chum''- both barrels for you it is then!" Pudgy fingers rapidly banging away on their greasy keyboard like a belt-fed bazooka ''take this!'' ''take that!'' ''pea-brain!'', ''half wit!'', ''loser!'' ''unbeliever!'' ''true fan?! ''pathetic!'' and ''clueless!'' (not necessarily in that order). But am I bothered?.....Nah''..........I bet they wouldn''t have the ballcocks to say it to my face in a pub- but preferring instead, the security of a darkened little hovel of a room, and the anonymity to despatch their insults and vitriol to the nonconformists on this forum...........allegedly  

ME? I just prefer to have a laugh.......  OTBC ;~) 

Not sure I agree it’s any worse now. Prior to joining this forum I observed the exchanges between posters for several months and, quite frankly, there was also a fair amount of nastiness exchanged in the early going. Equally, there were a few posters who articulated their point of view very well, which I personally found very appealing. Subsequently, I decided to “join in” and, on one of my first posts, expressed a view that we may well find it difficult in East Anglia ( let alone Norwich ) to experience/participate in Premiership football in the future, other than the odd season here and there. Basically, I was interested in others ideas of how we might increase those odds. Of course, I used an example of a potential Norwich-Ipswich merger to enable increased scale but, more importantly, I was interested in others ideas of how increased and ongoing Premiership participation could occur. The responders generally hurled abuse, mostly with one liner attacks of sarcasm, calling me a “binner”, a windup artist, or referring to my stupidity, with only one or two individuals taking the time to see the bigger picture I was getting at. Of course, my skin was not that thin and I was not deterred. Many new posters taking the plunge, who might have some interesting things to say, may well decide it’s not worth the aggravation.

Take the example of a current thread initiated by Craig Brown: “ Drury is Norwich’s Weak Link”. Craig is a relatively new poster and offers his point of view. Many of the responses refer to either Craig’s limited amount of gray cells, respond with sarcasm or allude to Craig being a “binner”. Sounds very similar to what I experienced when first posting. Zippers, consistent with his philosophy of kicking abuse out, gives Craig a very reasoned reply, which is basically ignored by Craig as he responds, because he appears to be more motivated to defend himself and react to the abuse. Bottom line, I think the nature of the beast has always been there and the board will always constitute a mixture of insight, shallowness, abuse, friendly exchanges and, thankfully humour. Accordingly, each of us selectively choose to read and respond to those we find most appealing.    

What a lot of sense - for once

You''ve already said it all really - I just wanted to take issue with Mello''s use of the term "flamin'' barsteward" as an example of abusive posting! I''m sure you can see why I''m upset

[quote]What a lot of sense - for once You''ve already said it all really - I just wanted to take issue with Mello''s use of the term "flamin'' barsteward" as an example of abusive posting! I''m sure you can s...[/quote]

My sincerest of an apology "Mr Stout Barperson"..........It was never my intention to upset, or annoy, or insult, or extract the urine, or intimidate, or mock, or be sarcastic, or be arrogant, or single out individuals, or be abusive to, or.......whatever!

Unfortunately, I was two-thirds through my litre of  "Yer'' me bes'' friggen'' marrer!" Smirnoff Voddy, and it''s also quite dark in my hovel and so I wasn''t really in control of my faculties, when  my pudgy digits banged out my above post.......And, in between regular visits to the white throne to discharge my 14 packets of dry roast peanuts to the North Sea (cor! my No2''s are like a flock of seagulls!) I must have lost my self discipline in political correctness. Totally out of my personal character I can honestly assure you, and I decree it won''t happen ever again.......Once again I apologise for my "fraudulent" slip.......  

"Now accept my apology and lighten up yer'' fat git!"

Oops sorry!  (it''s the Smirnoff talkin'').  ;~)  OTBC

I''ve been posting on this board very sporadically for about 6 years and to be honest, it hasn''t really changed that much. There are always fans who are passionate but cannot express their opinions and views with a sufficient argument or evidence to back their views - I''ve been guilty at times to being a blind optimist/too negative mixing opinion with fact - usually after I''ve been attacked for being negative or too positive when the trend was to be negative and I''ve "overreacted"  to peoples'' responses - as most people tend to do - it is human nature to defend one''s views/position - unless you know your hypothesis is complete b******s - which tends to be rare

Anyway - the Pinkun forum continues to be the best Norwich City fan forum. Other forums are filled with nonsense or abusive language which is not befitting of the thinking man''s opinon - if one could be judged to be such a man.