Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

As regards our defence......

Evening all, now i don`t post very often but i watch the board with interest, lots of silly infighting makes me refrain from commenting mostly, however

Its no secret our defence whatever combo seems to be a shambles, and generally throwing youngsters in , especially in defence can be suicidal but surely there must be one or two of our youngsters who could step up and do no worse than the seasoned pro`s making a balls up at the moment, the crowd would be a bit more patient with a young un coming in as an experiment.

Am probably going to get shouted down for this post but the alternative is rotating the same bumbling idiots who have been under performing till the January window, so you guys who get to see the reserve games anyone you think good enough to try out ??

Often it''s not just defenders at fault. Take a look at the first goal on Saturday again.  The marking was tight at the outset, but the goalscorer was being marked by Jerome - and he just wandered away at the last second and left the player to have a free header, so a defensive error, but not by a defender. The second goal was harder to defend, but it was a midfielder who let his player get the wrong side of him.  And so it goes on.  Defending as a team is the issue.

I do agree LDC but there have been a lot of individual errors by defenders in a lot of other games, they look shaky, nervous and very weak

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]I do agree LDC but there have been a lot of individual errors by defenders in a lot of other games, they look shaky, nervous and very weak[/quote]In truth the defence has looked like that for 3 seasons now , but season after season we plod on with the same defenders.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]I do agree LDC but there have been a lot of individual errors by defenders in a lot of other games, they look shaky, nervous and very weak[/quote]Is it indiviual errors or is it that some individuals just can''t be bothered anymore?

Individual errors caused by tense players who have very little belief and confidence, compounded by lack of leadership on the pitch. It appears some of our players cannot, or do not want to, handle the extra challenge and expectation of being one of the favourites in the division.

Klose is a prime example of someone who looks a shadow of his former self - he has been dominated physically time and time again by average strikers this season.

[quote user="Ian"]Klose is a prime example of someone who looks a shadow of his former self - he has been dominated physically time and time again by average strikers this season.[/quote]And yet has still been far and away our best centre half...

You could certainly argue he''s been the best of a bad bunch at CB Indy, but I wouldn''t say he''s been "far and away" the best. That would indicate he''s been outstanding in the back four, and I personally don''t think that''s the case.

In fact, given his supposed quality, I don''t really think he''s been that much better than the much-maligned Martin when playing at CB.

For a tall physical guy he seems to struggle to win as much in the air as he should at times (without fouling the opposition players), and also struggles to dominate physical players. Perhaps it''s a culture shock with regards to Championship football and I''m being overly harsh, but I expected much more from him this season.

I think Klose can be deceiving at times, you sometimes don''t see all the good things he does or the positions he takes to make better interceptions, but he does struggle at times against strong, physical forwards.He''s makes nearly twice as many interceptions per game than any other defender, in particular either Martin or Bennett (who are the main competition for CB), he makes more clearances than any other defender on average, he also makes twice as many aerial challenges than any other defender and wins 66% of them as well (compared to Bennett on 55% and Martin on 58%), and his short pass accuracy is also perfectly good at 85%.Has he looked as commanding as he did at times last season - no, I don''t think he has, but he''s still a cut above the rest in my view, even with the dodgy periods against big, target men at times.

The reality is that we were defending better with the Martin/Bassong partnership that got us promoted.

This time around Klose has maybe just slightly been the best of a bad bunch but that''s it.

He has the class and quality to do better for us. At the moment he''s not showing what he''s made of.

I don''t watch the reserves so I can''t help with the OP''s question.

However I would suggest that almost every single player appears to be a shadow of his former self at the moment. That to me suggests that there is something endemically wrong in the preparation, training, fitness or something else around this squad. I can''t think of any player other than the two Murphys who seem to have improved and even Jacob has struggled recently. Why are all these decent players playing below their capability? If there is a big time Charlie attitude or such like then one would still expect some to be performing well. But no -one is. Even Wes seems to have lost his zip after a good start.

It''s like they were self-motivated at the start of the season with all its excitement and anticipation, but now in the cut and thrust the management team have sucked the life out of them. All of them.