Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Delia interview

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Jacko"]I personally thought the interview raised a lot more questions than it did satisfactory answers.

Automatically saying no to investment is just absolutely ludicrous. Surely Delia Smith should remember that she was once an outsider to the club? By doing what''s she has said she could block the path of the next Delia to the club. If that makes sense?[/quote]It does and I totally agree Jacko.The arrogance displayed in the interview is quite astonishing.  With one breath she states that she is merely a custodian of the club, then, we''ll never sell, the fans won''t like that but to hell with them, but that''s what we''re going to do anyway because we want to hand the remnants over to Nephew Tom.  Never mind whether that''s in the best interests of the club or not.[/quote]This.

I think it''s a mistake saying what she did, whilst her honesty is admirable to many on here and other forums for her to say that it''s going to Tom regardless is a mistake. As someone on here said she wasn''t born a Norwich fan same as i was''nt so why stop the next ''Delia or Michael'' taking over who may well have a lot bigger pot to play with.I also understand Parma''s point of clubs theoretically much bigger than us languishing in the lower leagues with half empty stadiums but all it takes is for us to get it wrong with managers etc a couple of times like them down the road and as Parma states the gap between prem and the rest widens and we are stuck on the wrong side with pockets not deep enough to get us back up.Ultimately I want Norwich to be successful and if it takes a foreign owner, manager and even 11 players I would take it, not ideal I grant you but they all move on and it''s great to have the Murphy''s playing but if they continue they will move to a bigger club it''s just progression.

For me it is not so much what Delia said because let''s face the boy Tom news and the non interest in outside parties coming on board was hardly earth shattering news. It was the timing and the vehicle used to confirm such news. The timing on the back of a 5-0 thrashing and on the day that if Leeds won the pressure would build on both the manager and the directors could hardly have been worse. To announce it in a national paper was an insult to Norwich City fans who surely deserved better from a woman who says we are the best fans in the world. The AGM is only a couple of weeks away and that would have been a far better time to say what was said with an initial audience of a few hundred shareholders or maybe a press release on the day with Archant getting first dibs. I believe Stefan Philips is involved with her PR and surely he and/or the media guru Joe Ferarri should maybe have given better advice as on the back of yesterday this has done nothing other than fan the flames of growing discontent especially surrounding her thoughts on our inept manager ?

Good post Til1010

I don''t know how much say she would have in when the piece was published, but as it turns out it was either unfortunate or as you say very much intended to send a strong message.

I believe it was said precisely at this time to pave way for the AGM Til. So that the backing of the manager, plus ownership questions and her views are quite clear to all beforehand. It is taking a strong position. She knew what she was doing.

It certainly shattered any illusion the club belongs to the Community.

If fans don''t come, any owner has nothing. You can own the team, the players, the ground - but with an empty ground on a Saturday it is worthless.

As far as I see things there are three paths forward for the future ...

1. Being taken over by a billionaire who will build the club intelligently and establish us in the top tier ... see Bournemouth, Stoke, Southampton, Watford etc.

2. Staying in the pocket of the Smith family keeping us stable, debt free and wholesome but never rich.

3. Being taken over by a billionaire who will act recklessly and hurt the soul of the club ... see Portsmouth, Blackburn, Leeds, QPR etc.

The question is do you take option 2 ensuring security but risking sinking back to an average Champs side waiting for a lucky break or do you take the plunge and keep your fingers crossed?

[quote user="sonyc"]I believe it was said precisely at this time to pave way for the AGM Til. So that the backing of the manager, plus ownership questions and her views are quite clear to all beforehand. It is taking a strong position. She knew what she was doing.[/quote]So you think The Times was the vehicle to use as opposed to using local media or the club PR machine ?

The timing of the article was to mark the 20 years since DS and MWJ took over the club. I don''t see any ulterior motive in the timing of the release. There is also a big article in the program from yesterday which I have yet to read.

One of the roles undertaken by McNally was acting as a "barrier" between the majority shareholders and the fans and media, by that I mean he took all criticism aimed at the club and he ran his eye of any press releases before they were made. It is interesting that Moxey does not seem to perform the same function, you hardly ever hear from him. This was a typical "hearts on sleeve" but totally ill advised press interview, at a time that things on the footballing side are not going well. I am prepared to stick my neck out here and say that if Tom Smith gets all the shares he will sell them within two years, he just is not qualified or experienced enough to own a football club. Cantiaci has summed it up nicely, for me I would go for Option 1, Option 3 and Option 2 in that order as for me Option 2 leads to us spending the rest of out time in the Championship......

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]One of the roles undertaken by McNally was acting as a "barrier" between the majority shareholders and the fans and media, by that I mean he took all criticism aimed at the club and he ran his eye of any press releases before they were made. It is interesting that Moxey does not seem to perform the same function, you hardly ever hear from him. This was a typical "hearts on sleeve" but totally ill advised press interview, at a time that things on the footballing side are not going well. I am prepared to stick my neck out here and say that if Tom Smith gets all the shares he will sell them within two years, he just is not qualified or experienced enough to own a football club. Cantiaci has summed it up nicely, for me I would go for Option 1, Option 3 and Option 2 in that order as for me Option 2 leads to us spending the rest of out time in the Championship......[/quote]He''s going to have to convince the trustees first................:He’s a very passionate Norwich City supporter and he will be the

recipient of our shares.” “They will go into a trust first,” says

Michael. So Tom cannot sell. “He could if the trustees think it’s right

and proper. He can’t do it on a whim. He’s been a fan since he was

eight.”

OK Morty what is your take on Delia''s piece? Are you happy being a ''Community club'' as long as the supporters toe the line with her or do we owe her a debt of gratitude for saving the club that allows her to shun ''all'' enquiries not just the ones from loony foreigners? And don''s say there have''nt been any yet cause that''s irrelevant if enquiries are pointless?I think it''s OK and relatively easy for her at the mo with first season back in the champs and parachute payments to cover players wages but god forbid we end up like ipswich still here in five or six seasons and then find the goodwill.

[quote user="Time to go Delia"]Surely Delia gets the Chase treatment now ? its pointless turning on the manager when the trouble is at the very top of the club .[/quote]

I completly agree and have said this for sometime now.

Despite a number of bad discisions and mistakes since joining the NCFC board twenty years ago DS & MWJ have done an awful lot of good for the club and this should not be forgotten or dismissed lightly.

However football in this country has changed greatly since and continues to change whether we or the Smith''s agree with the direction it''s taken.

Although their perception of modern day football has some virtues the article in The Times was a sad read in regards to their stubbornness to even consider surrendering custody of THEIR football club. They know best it seems !

Irrespective of views held regarding foreign ownership to outright dismiss any enquiries to purchase the club is totally arrogant . Are all enquirys to buy the club whether foreign or otherwise undeserving of consideration as The Smiths have clearly indicated ?

They are both starting to sound & behave like Mr Chase towards the end of his reign and I hope for their sake this does not sour the positive years under their stewardship.

How the hell can anyone defend her action and sentiment?

The fact is without promotion this season we will go into debt next year, this years accounts are from our premiership season, without promotion we will see major changes in squad and budget adjusted in purchasing and salaries, this is long term under the house of Smith & Jones.

This confirms what has been said by many of us, as much as you think you''re a supporter this Norwich board only see you as a customer, your opinion is of no consequence to their dynasty.

All I can see from this is steady declne, maybe I''m missing something here but I can''t see the alternative.

Time to go Delia wrote the following post at 06/11/2016 12:53 PM:

Surely Delia gets the Chase treatment now ? its pointless turning on the manager when the trouble is at the very top of the club .

This. The problem is that football has changed to the point where people don''t seem to care as much anymore.

I''m watching Leipzig on bt sport at the moment. If they win today they will go top on the German league. The red bull ownership doesn''t seem to have done them any harm. So who would be against Red Bull Norwich? This is the type of investment that Delia is against but Red Bull have turned them into a top flight team only 8 years after their formation. To flatly refuse to listen to any enquiries is pure arrogance as it also stops any chance of success like this

JF there''s too many fans like the board who are scared of change and Johnny Foreigner investing in our fine City.

If you live outside the inner ring road you''re considered a plastic fan!

Indy wrote the following post at 06/11/2016 2:52 PM:

JF there''s too many fans like the board who are scared of change and Johnny Foreigner investing in our fine City.

If you live outside the inner ring road you''re considered a plastic fan!

That is it. But the days of the local builder or cook owning a successful football club are never coming back. With her future model we will be left behind while everyone else gets on the bandwagon. You can''t beat or compete with them so the only option is to get on with them

By the time Tom becomes owner he will be far more experienced than Delia was when she took over ownership of the club so I welcome the early announcement of the succession plans, which shouldnt really come as a surprise.

All we should ask of the owners is that they appont the right people to run the club. in the past I''ve felt they''ve appointed people they were comfortable with rather than people who could do the job. The exception being McNally who was signed in desperate times.

So far I have not seen Moxey do anything to fill me with confidence that he is the right replacement for DM. And while as a politician Ed Balls lnow how to say the right thing in public I am not aware of his acheivements within the club to date. it is this that worries me more than who owns the majority shareholding.

And as for fans reaction to the announcement on the succession, you''re behaving much too precious.

It''s nothing to do with the succession. It''s her finally admitting that they won''t even listen to enquiries that has people''s backs up.

Well surely that has everything to do with the succession. For the last couple of years I''ve been reading posts (not sure if any of them were from you JF) stating that Delia and Michael were getting no younger and it is time there were plans for succession and that we should be made aware of them. That appears to be what''s happened here. That doesn''t mean this was always the plan and that they lied for years. People who so easily see these traits in others really worry me.
Since nephew Tom joined the board and vowed to carry on with D&M''s values that succession was obvious. The bit we didn''t know was that for a time the shares would be held in trust. 
Now what would you have had them do? Not make a succession plan? 

The succession plan is fine. It''s their admission that this is the only way the club is allowed to go that doesn''t sit well with me. Not all outside ownership ends badly but if they are refusing to listen even to enquiries then the potential good ones will pass us by as well

So what would you have had them do? Not set up the plan and carry on as they were in the hopes that the saviour would show up?
This has obviously been well thought out and planned.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]So what would you have had them do? Not set up the plan and carry on as they were in the hopes that the saviour would show up?
This has obviously been well thought out and planned.
[/quote]Well thought ouy and planned , Delia and the thing she calls a husband have never been able to think anything out thats why we ended up in league one and thats why we will end up there again .You really have to question some fans they really would go along with anything because they know nothing better .Sooner she gets run out of this football club the better .

I would have rather they had this plan in place but still be open to the options of moving the club on if interest came along that was genuine and looked good for the club going forwards. To flatly refuse to entertain the possibility that outside ownership may benefit the club is incredibly small minded and arrogant. As I''ve said previously clubs like Leipzig in Germany are thriving on that kind of ownership. It can go both ways