Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Lafferty

Everyone''s scapegoat.  Apparently no good, according to many on here.  The manager seems to have issues with him.  The player plainly doesn''t do himself any favours with his antics.......but......he came on and scored.   Has bided his time and although he must be disappointed at not being played, shown no real dissent about it, as far as I am aware - and having got his chance, did the business. Well done Lafferty.

Scapegoat?

How could he be a scapegoat if hes never been played for a decent amount of time?

However, I agree re the rest of the post, clearly wanted to prove a point & made no mistake when the chance came his way. It wasn''t a tap in that he scored, it was a good finish.

BUT where exactly does this leave Oliviera?

I mean brought in as number 2 striker, yet cant get on the pitch when losing at home with a sub still to use, yet the outcast who cant get a look in comes on and scores?

Our management team should be able to handle his antics and get more out of him for the wages he is on. Waste of money by not using him or putting him out on loan to get a bit in for another player.

[quote user="Rustyboy"]Our management team should be able to handle his antics and get more out of him for the wages he is on. Waste of money by not using him or putting him out on loan to get a bit in for another player.[/quote]

The way AN''s ''handled his antics'' is by not picking him. And he''s not gone anywhere on loan or permanently is either a) no one wants him or b) he''s not prepared to take a wage cut.

[quote user="Woodman"][quote user="Rustyboy"]Our management team should be able to handle his antics and get more out of him for the wages he is on. Waste of money by not using him or putting him out on loan to get a bit in for another player.[/quote]

The way AN''s ''handled his antics'' is by not picking him. And he''s not gone anywhere on loan or permanently is either a) no one wants him or b) he''s not prepared to take a wage cut.[/quote]

It was widely reported that we stopped him leaving on deadline day (to Reading?) as we couldn''t get anybody in to replace him - my guess would be a move for another striker (Rhodes?) broke down and we told Lafferty he was staying, yet he knew he wouldnt get much of a look in

On the flip side, he got his chance Saturday, took it & put forward a good argument for starting alongside Jerome next game

Saturday was about as ironic as you could get. To the point where AN finally brings on Laff''s and he does exactly what he does best, and poaches a goal just like he''s been doing for Ireland at every opportunity. Not for one minute am I suggesting Laffs is the answer, and I certainly wouldn''t be starting him, but once again it raises questions over AN''s tactics and treatment of Laffs - I hope he remembers as well as I do the stupidity of playing Naismith upfront against Birmingham instead of Lafferty...

To be fair Winky it is halfway down the page and it was way back at 7.30pm last night when it was last posted on. [:P]Anyway what has it come to when Lafferty is being heralded as the answer,he is pants ?

The manager is value-reducing. Our team performs less than the sum of the parts. Until a new manager is appointed there''s little point worrying about individual players because we are in a spiral of decline.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The manager is value-reducing. Our team performs less than the sum of the parts. Until a new manager is appointed there''s little point worrying about individual players because we are in a spiral of decline.[/quote][Y]This is certainly true and in the next few games we will find out if AN will be taking the high road or the low road.The worrying thing is that Saturdays unchanged defence signals to me that he doesn''t know how to get out of it and is waiting for something to turn up. 

For me Ricardo it shows a lack of faith in the other defenders or even stubbornness.

If that''s the best he can get out of his preferred defence then we''re in trouble.

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 07/11/2016 5:00 PM:

To be fair Winky it is halfway down the page and it was way back at 7.30pm last night when it was last posted on. Stick out tongue [:P]

Anyway what has it come to when Lafferty is being heralded as the answer,he is pants ?

What intrigues me is why he was brought on on Saturday.

"unchanged defence signals to me that he doesn''t know how to get out of it and is waiting for something to turn up."

It''s as if he has completely lost confidence and has frozen. That lack of confidence will be picked up by the players.

At the moment, he seems like a rabbit in the headlights.

Nothing good is gonna come of it.

Yes rabbits taste like chicken

At this level Lafferty might easily be the answer. In 14/15 AN frequently started hard working Grabban to bring on Jerome as impact, and he frequently scored against tiring defenses. We do not seem to have that sort of attacking impact subbing this season. Perhaps Lafferty could take the Grabban role to spare Jerome for the later stages of the game?

[quote user="VanWink"]What intrigues me is why he was brought on on Saturday.[/quote]He was brought on because the Manager was desperate and worried. He finally realised that he needed to put his obvious dislike for Lafferty to one side and put on who is realistically, and by some margin, our 2nd best striker. What happens and what are our options if Jerome breaks a leg may I ask. Do we rely on Oliveira, who looks as weak as wee wee and completely out of  his depth or do we use Lafferty.Suddenly at 4.50pm on Saturday the penny finally dropped for Neil and for once he made the right decision, albeit 15 minutes too late.Just a shame that our numpty defenders, and our even more numpty goalkeeper, couldn''t hang on to the situation that Lafferty had retrieved after being on the pitch for all of 4 minutes. So he''s not the greatest striker in the World but in the Champioship, especially working alonside Jerome, he can do a job.

So when Alex Neil doesn''t play Lafferty it''s a travesty of justice, but when he does play him he''s "desperate and worried"?

Okie dokie 🖒

Its hard to understand why AN felt Laffs could influence this particular game when he has had him has an unused option for so many others.

[quote user="VanWink"]Its hard to understand why AN felt Laffs could influence this particular game when he has had him has an unused option for so many others.[/quote]It is dificult to understand, but it probably has something to do with how the players appear in training.  AN has to chose who he thinks are best for the matches and from the bench.  Canos may not be doing it in training and maybe Oliveira isn''t atm either - and Lafferty looked the best option this time.  I would like to see more of Lafferty if he can produce his best form when he gets the chance.  He came on and scored, so he has put himself in a good place to get more time in the next match.  I still think that his form when he arrived with us was terrific and he was unlucky in that time not to score more, hitting the post and bar on more than one occasion in those first few weeks under Adams. It''s probably in his hands.  Do well in training, show a good attitude and he will be picked - and it will be the same for all the players.

To be fair I don''t think AN had much of a choice since Oliveira''s recent performances have pretty much amounted to consistently trying to turn someone in any position he ends up on the pitch and failing.

I don''t rate Lafferty but credit to him for taking his incredibly brief opportunity!

Loads of stuff I don''t understand but it''s good to come on here and get some thoughts from other fans.

[quote user="lake district canary"]It is dificult to understand, but it probably has something to do with how the players appear in training.  [/quote]Maybe he should base his team selections on what people are doing, or more to the point not doing, in actual games rather than what they do in training.

That''s hardly fair MP. If you''re not getting game time then your attitude and performance in training is always going to be what get''s you (back) into contention.

I hope that Laffs has been working hard, has impressed the manager and that he will now feature more. We will have to wait and see.

Frankly I don''t care whether people think he''s cr@p or the dogs bollox, as long as he continues to get us goals then good on him.

Saw his first appearance in a City Shirt Pre- season friendly match at Dereham and thought he looked another Grant Holt. The complete answer to our attacking problems and willing to come into defence to collect the ball, Tackling back when needed. Was he given a fair ? I doubt it,