Sign in to follow this  
Skip

McGovern

@OfficialIrishFA: McGovern is back with #ncfc for ''treatment on an injury''. Expecting to hear from Michael O''Neill later today

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Looks like Ruddy may be getting a spin between the sticks at Loftus Rd  ?With all the goals we''ve been leaking lately it''s not going to be a disaster unless he has a complete mare.[/quote]McGovern really hasn''t been at his best the last few games, makes you wonder why Ruddy didn''t get his chance already? Maybe he''s even worse in traynun?

[quote user="Chemical Bro"]Either ruddy hasn''t been producing in training or AN is too stubborn.....

Hmmm i wonder[/quote]Pick whatever suits[Y]

[quote user="Chemical Bro"]I''ll pick the most logical 👍[/quote]Good man.Its patently obvious that no manager would leave a form player out of his team just because of petty stubbornness.

That i hope is true.

In all seriousness with or without injury to McGovern I''m fully expecting a big JR recall at QPR. Hope he does himself justice and gets a run between the sticks.

JR back to his best would major boost to us.

Hope this means Ruddy is back on sat. he played well vs everton and wasn''t bad vs Leeds in the cup while mcgovern has been rubbish all season.

I''d say there are stubborn managers out there to an extent that simply trust certain players more than others.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Hope this means Ruddy is back on sat. he played well vs everton and wasn''t bad vs Leeds in the cup while mcgovern has been rubbish all season.

I''d say there are stubborn managers out there to an extent that simply trust certain players more than others.[/quote]Well its pretty obvious that a manager would trust certain players more, based either on their abilities, or on their current form.Which is totally different from some kind of arms folded, pouty "I just don''t like him".

Hmmm

Tbh i do think it goes on tho morty.

Look at the Manchester city situation with joe hart and claudio bravo.... Is bravo really better than hart?

Or is it a case of Pep simply not liking joe for one reason or another, and being buddies with Bravo?

He apparently had better distribution than Hart but seeing Bravo this season looks to me like a proper pals act going on.

Not saying this is happening here but for sure definitely goes on in the game.

[quote user="Chemical Bro"]Hmmm

Tbh i do think it goes on tho morty.

Look at the Manchester city situation with joe hart and claudio bravo.... Is bravo really better than hart?

Or is it a case of Pep simply not liking joe for one reason or another, and being buddies with Bravo?

He apparently had better distribution than Hart but seeing Bravo this season looks to me like a proper pals act going on.

Not saying this is happening here but for sure definitely goes on in the game.[/quote]You think Joe Hart is in good form?

What I mean by that morty is that there are some managers that have a warped sense of judgement and loyalty to certain players. I think mcgovern would be first player out of the side if we appointed someone new tomorrow.

I''m surprised Bassong hasn''t been recalled after what Neil did with him when he first arrived. Bassong was a big player for us in them 1st Alex Neil games. There''s still part of me that hopes the Bassong that we had under Hughton will make a reappearance, he can be class at this level and none of the current defence are really undroppable are they.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]What I mean by that morty is that there are some managers that have a warped sense of judgement and loyalty to certain players. I think mcgovern would be first player out of the side if we appointed someone new tomorrow.

I''m surprised Bassong hasn''t been recalled after what Neil did with him when he first arrived. Bassong was a big player for us in them 1st Alex Neil games. There''s still part of me that hopes the Bassong that we had under Hughton will make a reappearance, he can be class at this level and none of the current defence are really undroppable are they.[/quote]Why is their sense of judgement necessarily warped?A manager will have preferences based on the system he wants to play, how well a player is playing currently and what abilities he has shown in the past.And a player will be judged on his workrate and attitude too. Which is only right.

Because perhaps they have developed a personal level of relationship to the point Neil is prepared to give him more time to get form back given he has worked well with him before.

Look at how Bassong was pushed out completely by Adams but was 1st choice on the team sheet for both Hughton and Neil until late last season. I get the feeling that most managers would rate ruddy better than mcgovern but we can only speculate as we don''t watch them train every day etc.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Because perhaps they have developed a personal level of relationship to the point Neil is prepared to give him more time to get form back given he has worked well with him before.

Look at how Bassong was pushed out completely by Adams but was 1st choice on the team sheet for both Hughton and Neil until late last season. I get the feeling that most managers would rate ruddy better than mcgovern but we can only speculate as we don''t watch them train every day etc.[/quote]Really all of what you posted there is speculation.If Bassong was playing out of his skin in training, I suspect he''d be in the team.To assume otherwise really is guesswork.

have to disagree there Morty remember my message at the start of season ref Bassong if he trained twice as well as Russell Martin doubt he would not play

[quote user="norfolkngood"]have to disagree there Morty remember my message at the start of season ref Bassong if he trained twice as well as Russell Martin doubt he would not play[/quote]Fundamentally though, RM is a better centre back than Seb is though.....

[quote user="norfolkngood"]have to disagree there Morty remember my message at the start of season ref Bassong if he trained twice as well as Russell Martin doubt he would not play[/quote]
Russell Martin isn''t keeping Seb Bassong out of the team so in a nutshell..... 
That''s nuts[;)]

If McGovern is injured for Saturday, then we will still be none the wiser over AN''s level of stubbornness.

We will never know if Ruddy would have been selected ahead of McGovern as the ''least worse option''.

[quote user="unique"]If McGovern is injured for Saturday, then we will still be none the wiser over AN''s level of stubbornness.

We will never know if Ruddy would have been selected ahead of McGovern as the ''least worse option''.[/quote]Just make up, or assume, whatever suits you[Y]

[quote user="unique"]You need help.

Go and see a shrink......[/quote]My point is that this whole favourites thing is ludicrous.A manager will pick his best team, thats his job.People will likely say, with all authority "Yeah well, he would never have picked Ruddy unless McGovern was injured". Seriously, how the hell can anyone actually know that?And anyone who thinks they know what goes on in Alex Neil''s head is more likely to be the one that needs help.....

Unique has a point. Some people will have been thinking that McGovern should be replaced.  If he is injured, the question of whether AN would have switched goalkeepers of his own choice this week won''t be answered.  However, if Ruddy gets a chance this week, it is up to him to make the shirt his - and he can do that not making the mistakes he made before he lost his place to McGovern in the first place.

I used to always think that managers wouldn''t be daft enough to have favourites, so I couldn''t believe it when on a couple of those life-story documentary interview things on talksport a couple of managers, and I can''t remember who but will look it up at some point basically said yeah, every manager does.

But it doesn''t necessarily make it the wrong decision. I mean, Lafferty is in form but if he''s constantly being a kn*b in training should he play? If a player doesn''t really respect the manager i.e Bassong with Neil Adams should he play him? It''s not an automatic yes.

I think if Ruddy was ever going to be picked ahead of McGovern by AN it would have been after the 5-0 drubbing where McGovern was largely responsible for 3 of the goals.

[quote user="hogesar"]I used to always think that managers wouldn''t be daft enough to have favourites, so I couldn''t believe it when on a couple of those life-story documentary interview things on talksport a couple of managers, and I can''t remember who but will look it up at some point basically said yeah, every manager does.

But it doesn''t necessarily make it the wrong decision. I mean, Lafferty is in form but if he''s constantly being a kn*b in training should he play? If a player doesn''t really respect the manager i.e Bassong with Neil Adams should he play him? It''s not an automatic yes.

I think if Ruddy was ever going to be picked ahead of McGovern by AN it would have been after the 5-0 drubbing where McGovern was largely responsible for 3 of the goals.[/quote]Exactly.The favourite aspect is made up of a combination of the players ability, attitude, and current form.This reminds me of people who whine on about bosses at work having their favourites. Maybe if you take all the nonsense away from it, its actually about who can get the job done.

You look a bit a silly when you go out and sign a gk (who happens to be ya matey) to replace the one you have but he turns out to be even worse.

Don''t ya think?