Sign in to follow this  
Kidderminster Exile

Arturo Lupoli

A name from the past ,Ipswich after him !!!

Nottingham Forest, Ipswich Town and Brighton and Hove Albion are chasing Pisa''s 29-year-old former Derby County striker Arturo Lupoli. (Gazza Mercato via Derby Telegraph)

Reminded me of an old Capital Canaries article in which Arturo Lupoli featured but did not even play in the game. Some old favourites feature.

From 11th Dec 2008

Did Lee Clark make all the Subs?

Every time I go to Watford I seem to get depressed or angry about the game. There’s always something that goes wrong, upsets me or winds me up. It’s getting so bad I’m sure the local cat population look up the fixture months in advance and hide for an hour or so after the game to avoid being kicked as I walk back home from Kenton station.

There was the gutless 4-1 defeat a few years ago, and the 2-1 loss where I had tickets, but didn’t go having been ill on the day. I saw Kevin Lisbie score his only goal for us, and last year we had to endure the hoofball-fest from Watford, but City somehow managed a draw.

So this year could it get any worse? Oh yes it could. This year we had the “No-Subs” game, the first I can ever recall where we were losing and didn’t make a change, although it was crying out for one.

Even more depressing was that Watford were comfortably the worst side we have played this season. In the first fifteen minutes they looked like a Conference team, but we didn’t score. Had City found the net first I am sure we would have won easily.

Norwich, not wishing to be outdone in the “Conference Football Stakes”, conceded the lead via a poor clearance and some half-asleep defending which gave the scoreline some depressing familiarity.

Despite playing well, the 4-4-1-1 formation was missing the spark that we’ve had in recent games, due to Hoolahan’s absence. His replacement Daryl Russell, despite all his effort, looked like a fish out of water. He wasn’t sure where he was playing. Was he a midfielder, an attacker or an “in the hole” man? Who knows? Russell didn’t, and poor old Leroy Lita who worked hard, ran the channels well, needed more support up there with him.

If someone told me that Crofty would score with his left foot I would have been amazed. If I had heard that he scored from twenty-five yards I would retreated to my darkened padded cell. But now I’ve seen him score with his head, so I know I wasn’t dreaming about the other two goals. He’s been our most improved player this season and fully deserving of a new contract. Let’s hope it’s with Norwich.

Some more calamitous defending gave Watford the lead again, and despite Norwich’s decent play, pretty build up and huff and puff, their keeper didn’t have to make that many saves of any difficulty. Time for a sub we all thought. Get Lupoli on for either Russell, Pattison or Bell.

As the game passed seventy-five minutes, there were more and more shouts from the away fans for a change, for Lupoli, who by now had created a furrow up the sideline as a result of the number of times he had run up to the away fans and back. No subs were made. My general feeling and those around me was that the more we yelled at Roeder the less likely he was to do anything.

The whole substation farce was turning into a bizarre game of bluff and double bluff between Glenn “I have the only opinion that counts” Roeder and the 1000+ away fans who could all see we were playing well, but it needed a change. Even Kennedy up front for the last five minutes. But as Roeder knows best, no subs came on.

Despite losing 1-2 we played well, but lost again, with a major contributing factor, the catastrophic error of judgement by Roeder by not making any substitutions.

If Lee Clark was at his side would the same mistakes have been made? An interesting question.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]God there''s some scary names in amongst that.

Dark days indeed.[/quote]Oddly I don''t think there was actually as much whingeing then, compared to now.

Arturo Lupoli?   Seems a lifetime ago.  The club is totally different now to what it was ten years ago.  Not even close to it.  Debt up to the eyeballs, team of loanees, a manager who lost the plot and lost what players we did own.  Huckerby the only beacon of light, but then snuffed out by Roeder.  Thank goodness we moved on to where we are now........

"Oddly I don''t think there was actually as much whingeing then, compared to now."

Eh? Wasn''t there a concerted movement to get Roeder Out? Not on the scale of the Worthy Out but I distinctly remember a website, posters and a major wobbler by Mick Dennis railing about how nasty fans were being to poor old Glenn.

[quote user="canarydan23"]"Oddly I don''t think there was actually as much whingeing then, compared to now."

Eh? Wasn''t there a concerted movement to get Roeder Out? Not on the scale of the Worthy Out but I distinctly remember a website, posters and a major wobbler by Mick Dennis railing about how nasty fans were being to poor old Glenn.[/quote]There was a website? Not sure I remember that.All about context though, and about greater levels of self entitlement amongst fans, these days.

You had me question my faculties so after a brief investigation I cannot find any trace of the website itself, but have found this article...

http://www.norwichcity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/roeder_out_get_a_life_425867/index.shtml

...which both proves the existence of a Roeder Out website and also that whingeing Norwich fans is anything but new to this season and this manager.

I suspect as you disagree with the whingers this time around you are more inclined to notice it. I think Alex Neil has been afforded a pretty significant portion of patience in comparison to some of his predecessors. Particularly given the fact that he has had far, far more financial resources relative to his rivals than other managers who have incurred the fans'' wrath; Hughton, Worthy and Roeder to name a few.

I think AN should be gone but nobody in their right mind would say he''s a worse manager than Roeder.

I remember much worse than whingeing during his "tenure"

Those were dark days indeed.

What worries me is that if we don''t get back to the Prem this year, or next year, we''ll be back in that sort of mess all too quickly.

Is it "whingeing" when you disagree and "complaining" when you agree with what''s being said ?

Anyway, there were plenty of complaints/whinges under Roeder.  Although probably fewer people whingeing/complaining about whingers than we get now....

[quote user="canarydan23"]You had me question my faculties so after a brief investigation I cannot find any trace of the website itself, but have found this article...

http://www.norwichcity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/roeder_out_get_a_life_425867/index.shtml

...which both proves the existence of a Roeder Out website and also that whingeing Norwich fans is anything but new to this season and this manager.

I suspect as you disagree with the whingers this time around you are more inclined to notice it. I think Alex Neil has been afforded a pretty significant portion of patience in comparison to some of his predecessors. Particularly given the fact that he has had far, far more financial resources relative to his rivals than other managers who have incurred the fans'' wrath; Hughton, Worthy and Roeder to name a few.[/quote]Like I said, its about context.If you have supported Norwich City for longer than 10 years we have been in a far, far worse state than we are in now.And the finances are irrelevant, everyone has more money to spend than they did ten years ago., its the going rate of football.

"Particularly given the fact that he has had far, far more financial resources relative to his rivals than other managers"

I kinda covered that point off. See the definition of "relative" for further information. So no, they are not irrelevant. Though I can understand why a staunch Alex Neil backer would wish to paint it as so.

Managerial performance compared to transfer spend and wage budget is a pretty key measurement for any manager. It is probably why Neil Adams was dumped when he was; he''d been backed strongly relative to other Championship clubs with one of the league''s biggest war chests. It''s the context in which Alex Neil''s promotion must also be viewed. Yes, he got the job done and deserves to be commended for doing so, money never, ever guarantees success; however, it does make it easier. Alex Neil inherited one of the league''s most expensively assembled and well remunerated squads.

This season he has one of the league''s most expensively assembled and well remunerated squads.

I tend to look at it like golf, though each team has a par of a different league position based on their fiscal resources. Norwich''s par, based on this rudimentary fashion, would be 2nd or 3rd. On league position this is only 2 below par for sure but as has been pointed out before, our league position is a result of our fixture list (7 of our 8 wins have been against THE BOTTOM 7 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE).

Based on current performance, we will be significantly lower than 2 under par by the time we''re putting our Christmas trees up. Hopefully by the time we''re tucking into our Turkey, we''ll be on an upward trajectory as a result of a change in manager.

I would dearly love to be proven wrong but the pesky evidence prevents any optimism. We are but a point ahead of where we were under Neil Adams two years ago and at least by November 2014 we had seen some cracking performances and a Portman Road win. What have we got to smile about so far this season?