Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

All about the fans.....

I think Jim''s pointing out a little hypocrisy when Delia slams the Premier League riches, argues it''s not fair on fans etc, then openly refuses to listen to offers for the club despite her damning verdict on the premier league, all whilst being one of the most expensive clubs to watch football at in the league.

[quote user="hogesar"]I think Jim''s pointing out a little hypocrisy when Delia slams the Premier League riches, argues it''s not fair on fans etc, then openly refuses to listen to offers for the club despite her damning verdict on the premier league, all whilst being one of the most expensive clubs to watch football at in the league.[/quote]Theres clear choices here though, and if Jim weren''t such a miserable git, or we were top of the league, this wouldn''t even be mentioned.But really it boils down to, if you don''t like it, don''t pay it. Would people rather we slashed the price of our football at the expense of no longer being competitive?

Oh yeah don''t get me wrong, I completely agree that our ticket sales and regular 25k crowds is one of the few advantages our club has and we should look to benefit from it as much as possible.

But typically, if you''re going to do that (which we are, and like I say, rightly so) it''s going to leave a bad taste for some fans if you criticise the Premier League for pretty much the exact same thing in the national media!

No I wouldn''t although in this day and age (certainly whilst in receipt of parachute payments anyway) is arguable that ticket prices make little difference to our competitiveness which is why so many of the top clubs have been able to slash prices because its the TV money that underpins everything including ourselves.

I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy of our owner gushing in media interviews (and earning plaudits for doing so) about how football is treating fans badly or not taking them into consideration whilst having the most expensive cheapest season tickets in the division and also regularly charging away fans £40 to visit Carrow Road.

She either just does not have a clue what is actually happening at Carrow Road or does not care about making hypocritical statements.

Fans have put up with pretty much anything/given back their rebates etc because (i) going to football is what we do (ii) the club previously needed us when it was at a low ebb and (iii) we all had belief that we were building something that would see the club establish itself and compete at the top level. After the recent times article, the nephew Tom revelation and with hypocritical positions such as this coming out I very much suspect that for the first time in a while there will be a weakening of season ticket sales (or if there isn''t it will because regulars who will be questioning the point of it all are replaced by new and more transient fans on the waiting list).

[quote user="hogesar"]Oh yeah don''t get me wrong, I completely agree that our ticket sales and regular 25k crowds is one of the few advantages our club has and we should look to benefit from it as much as possible.

But typically, if you''re going to do that (which we are, and like I say, rightly so) it''s going to leave a bad taste for some fans if you criticise the Premier League for pretty much the exact same thing in the national media![/quote]Another case of "whatever suits" for some fans though.If we were lining Delias pockets for some kind of retirement fund, then I''d be right there with Jim. But we''re not, are we?And really the whole thing is very selective. Kids and teens tickets are very affordable, and I believe there was a completely free match at Carrow road last night?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]No I wouldn''t although in this day and age (certainly whilst in receipt of parachute payments anyway) is arguable that ticket prices make little difference to our competitiveness which is why so many of the top clubs have been able to slash prices because its the TV money that underpins everything including ourselves.

I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy of our owner gushing in media interviews (and earning plaudits for doing so) about how football is treating fans badly or not taking them into consideration whilst having the most expensive cheapest season tickets in the division and also regularly charging away fans £40 to visit Carrow Road.

She either just does not have a clue what is actually happening at Carrow Road or does not care about making hypocritical statements.

Fans have put up with pretty much anything/given back their rebates etc because (i) going to football is what we do (ii) the club previously needed us when it was at a low ebb and (iii) we all had belief that we were building something that would see the club establish itself and compete at the top level. After the recent times article, the nephew Tom revelation and with hypocritical positions such as this coming out I very much suspect that for the first time in a while there will be a weakening of season ticket sales (or if there isn''t it will because regulars who will be questioning the point of it all are replaced by new and more transient fans on the waiting list).[/quote]My advice Jim is put your money where your mouth is, and stop going.

Oh and Bristol City charge 70p more than us for a pie.[insert Bristol City''s owners name here] OUT!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]No I wouldn''t although in this day and age (certainly whilst in receipt of parachute payments anyway) is arguable that ticket prices make little difference to our competitiveness which is why so many of the top clubs have been able to slash prices because its the TV money that underpins everything including ourselves.

Fans have put up with pretty much anything/given back their rebates etc because (i) going to football is what we do (ii) the club previously needed us when it was at a low ebb and (iii) we all had belief that we were building something that would see the club establish itself and compete at the top level. After the recent times article, the nephew Tom revelation and with hypocritical positions such as this coming out I very much suspect that for the first time in a while there will be a weakening of season ticket sales (or if there isn''t it will because regulars who will be questioning the point of it all are replaced by new and more transient fans on the waiting list).[/quote]My advice Jim is put your money where your mouth is, and stop going.[/quote]

Your advice appears to generally just consist of accepting any given situation without question. I don''t want to stop going to watch the club I love but that does not mean we can''t hold opinions on the owners, manager, players etc. Sadly clubs also know that we don''t want to stop going which is why football is a rather unique "industry."

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]No I wouldn''t although in this day and age (certainly whilst in receipt of parachute payments anyway) is arguable that ticket prices make little difference to our competitiveness which is why so many of the top clubs have been able to slash prices because its the TV money that underpins everything including ourselves.

Fans have put up with pretty much anything/given back their rebates etc because (i) going to football is what we do (ii) the club previously needed us when it was at a low ebb and (iii) we all had belief that we were building something that would see the club establish itself and compete at the top level. After the recent times article, the nephew Tom revelation and with hypocritical positions such as this coming out I very much suspect that for the first time in a while there will be a weakening of season ticket sales (or if there isn''t it will because regulars who will be questioning the point of it all are replaced by new and more transient fans on the waiting list).[/quote]My advice Jim is put your money where your mouth is, and stop going.[/quote]

Your advice appears to generally just consist of accepting any given situation without question. I don''t want to stop going to watch the club I love but that does not mean we can''t hold opinions on the owners, manager, players etc. Sadly clubs also know that we don''t want to stop going which is why football is a rather unique "industry."[/quote]So what you going to do about it Jim?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"]Oh yeah don''t get me wrong, I completely agree that our ticket sales and regular 25k crowds is one of the few advantages our club has and we should look to benefit from it as much as possible.

But typically, if you''re going to do that (which we are, and like I say, rightly so) it''s going to leave a bad taste for some fans if you criticise the Premier League for pretty much the exact same thing in the national media![/quote]Another case of "whatever suits" for some fans though.If we were lining Delias pockets for some kind of retirement fund, then I''d be right there with Jim. But we''re not, are we?And really the whole thing is very selective. Kids and teens tickets are very affordable, and I believe there was a completely free match at Carrow road last night?[/quote]
Well, technically we''re lining Tom''s pockets if he''s going to be next in line but I don''t think that''s relevant anyway. I think as a club we''ve always been pretty good with kids and it''s helped us keep a consistently high crowd over the years.
Again, there''s no problem with our ticketing structure in my opinion, even if we are one of the most expensive. But I do think it''s a bit silly of Delia to say what she did in the media, which I said at the time before this came out.
It''s a bit like me docking everyones wages by 20% at work, going to the EDP and slating other companies for docking peoples wages by 20%.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"]Oh yeah don''t get me wrong, I completely agree that our ticket sales and regular 25k crowds is one of the few advantages our club has and we should look to benefit from it as much as possible.

But typically, if you''re going to do that (which we are, and like I say, rightly so) it''s going to leave a bad taste for some fans if you criticise the Premier League for pretty much the exact same thing in the national media![/quote]Another case of "whatever suits" for some fans though.If we were lining Delias pockets for some kind of retirement fund, then I''d be right there with Jim. But we''re not, are we?And really the whole thing is very selective. Kids and teens tickets are very affordable, and I believe there was a completely free match at Carrow road last night?[/quote]
Well, technically we''re lining Tom''s pockets if he''s going to be next in line but I don''t think that''s relevant anyway. I think as a club we''ve always been pretty good with kids and it''s helped us keep a consistently high crowd over the years.
Again, there''s no problem with our ticketing structure in my opinion, even if we are one of the most expensive. But I do think it''s a bit silly of Delia to say what she did in the media, which I said at the time before this came out.
It''s a bit like me docking everyones wages by 20% at work, going to the EDP and slating other companies for docking peoples wages by 20%.
[/quote]Whilst I see what you''re saying, the point of what she was saying boils down to the fact that, with the increase in TV money this season, clubs could actually let every single fan in for free for the whole season, and still turn more profit than they did the previous.And were we still in the Premiership, her statement could be seen as a bit hypocritical.But we''re not.....

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Untitled_zpsy1fsbtif.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Untitled_zpsy1fsbtif.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="morty"]Whilst I see what you''re saying, the point of what she was saying boils down to the fact that, with the increase in TV money this season, clubs could actually let every single fan in for free for the whole season, and still turn more profit than they did the previous.And were we still in the Premiership, her statement could be seen as a bit hypocritical.But we''re not.....[/quote]I doubt that is true. It almost certainly fails to take account of the extra wages players will have demanded as a result of the new TV deal.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]Whilst I see what you''re saying, the point of what she was saying boils down to the fact that, with the increase in TV money this season, clubs could actually let every single fan in for free for the whole season, and still turn more profit than they did the previous.And were we still in the Premiership, her statement could be seen as a bit hypocritical.But we''re not.....[/quote]I doubt that is true. It almost certainly fails to take account of the extra wages players will have demanded as a result of the new TV deal.[/quote]Oh right, that makes it all okay then.....

I''m not having a go morty, but why do you feel the need to get in anyone''s back that criticises the club?

I''m not one for going overboard in criticising the club and some obviously look for anything and go way over the top, however sometimes a bit of constructive criticism is fine.

Generally the club is ok, but you can''t deny that the merchandising and ticket prices are on the steep side in some respects, especially in relation to similar clubs. For me, our pricing structure makes me think the club are trying to justify because of our premier league flirtation in recent times. Of course on the flip side, it all adds to our kitty, but I do wonder if fans are getting less thought about, which is particularly ironic following Delia''s comments last week.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I''m not having a go morty, but why do you feel the need to get in anyone''s back that criticises the club?

I''m not one for going overboard in criticising the club and some obviously look for anything and go way over the top, however sometimes a bit of constructive criticism is fine.

Generally the club is ok, but you can''t deny that the merchandising and ticket prices are on the steep side in some respects, especially in relation to similar clubs. For me, our pricing structure makes me think the club are trying to justify because of our premier league flirtation in recent times. Of course on the flip side, it all adds to our kitty, but I do wonder if fans are getting less thought about, which is particularly ironic following Delia''s comments last week.[/quote]I guess its about the same people desperately trying to find anything they can to criticise the club, yes it annoys me.And really this issue is symptomatic of peoples general dissatisfaction, I don''t actually remember hearing much about this subject when we were actually in the Premiership.The ticket prices have remained, generally, pretty stable in recent years.An interesting aside is that Ipswich fans, despite their tickets being cheaper, are also moaning....

So would people want lower ticket prices, making us less competitive?Shut the academy and slash a fiver off?

The article appears to say that we have the most expensive cheapest season ticket in the championship. Whoopee doo Jimbo. 
We have spent four of the previous five seasons in the PL and that cheapest ticket price is for a large percentage of season ticket holders. How does that compare to the others? How many ticketys do they have at their cheapest price? That price has also been frozen for three seasons.
Are you saying that at a time when our income is slashed we should also slash ticket prices to compound the issue?

[quote user="morty"]So would people want lower ticket prices, making us less competitive?Shut the academy and slash a fiver off?

[/quote]This. Duh.

Personally I''d love to know how much change you had for a fiver when you used to go and see Norwich in the good old days

I don''t think it''s ever been brought up

A hypothetical question, if as a professional footballer you could play in front of a full house but earn £5-7000 /week or play in front of a few fans but a large TV audience but earn £25% less (but still a living wage!!) which would you choice?

Unfortunately the mould has been set and until the bigger teams stop paying average player above average wages then whatever money is put into football via the TV deals the players/agents etc will profit at the expense of the fans.

As Morty says we all have a choice, I think after nearly 30 years of Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings this season will be my last. - I will become an armchair fan.

So that''s two of us on here then TGD, after 40 years I''ve ad enough, part against the way the club have gone in regarding us as customers and football in general has become boring and predictable.

So the same, Saturday afternoon on the golf course is a far more attractive day than paying £7 for parking, £3 for a pie, £5 pint & £3.50 for a program.

I do miss the old days when we had a great run in the top flight, semi finals in cups and ultimately winning the milk cup in 85, the new generation think it''s all about the premiership, you can''t beat winning a cup as a when I thought of myself as a supporter.

Not really Morty, I''ve missed a few games over the years when I played and while working offshore, but i just feel very distant as a fan, more so with the attitude of our owners and it''s expensive compared to other activities, I''ll still watch highlights and live games, just enjoy the football from my armchair after enjoying a nice Saturday afternoon with friends on the golf course.

I mean to be fair the £7 parking, £3 pie, £5 pint and £3.50 program are all optional.

Cut them out and you''ve saved £18.50. Over 23 home games thats over £420.

I''ve just made your football day ALOT cheaper :)