Sign in to follow this  
nick oakley

will we sign davenport?

is this deja vu or is it my imagination? ,cast your minds back to when we had hucks on loan from man city, and we all wanted him permanently, and the board took the gamble and signed him, need i say more? since davenport has come in to the side he has looked every inch  the quality defender we have needed , and has struck up a good solid partnership  with the doc ,who looks a different player to the one we saw last season, so isay to the the board and worthy, the money is there , and if spurs are ready to deal , lets get him on board  o.t.b.c.

That''s exactly what I said in my article today!!

We probably have £2m to spend, which was the cash for the bid for Morrison. Whether Davenport wants to sign on a permament basis is another thing entirely though.

[quote]That''s exactly what I said in my article today!! We probably have £2m to spend, which was the cash for the bid for Morrison. Whether Davenport wants to sign on a permament basis is another thing enti...[/quote]

quality costs money, and you have to be prepared to spend , when the opportunity arises, im sure davenport would like to play on a regular basis with a side more than capable of  returning to the prem, than being stuck in spurs reserves! and he has got himself back in the under 21 squad since being with us, come on, lets get him here permanently

You may be right, but Huckerby was 750k going up to a million if we went up (which we did) and theres no way that we could get Davenport for any less than £2m.

I think he may be interested in staying until the end of the year, and then a permanent move if we are in the premiership, but I imagine he has his eyes on an England future, and we all know that he doesn''t have the chance if we''re not in the top division.

I was talking to a spurs fan about him and he seems to think that they would be willing to let him go if we stump up the cash, as he is a long way down the pecking order and isn''t ever likely to play first team football as long as King and Dawson are around.

I hope we find the money to keep him. He is a quality defender and there aren''t many players like that around who are available.

OTBC

Unfortunately I don''t think we will.  IMO Dav isn''t prepared to leave Spurs yet.  He wants another crack at the big time.  Maybe if we got promoted we could try next summer. I can''t see it happening before though

[quote]should get him but how much are we prepared to pay for him? where is the limit? How much was Huckerby by the way?[/quote]

Hucks cost £750,000 intially, then if we got promoted there was some more money going man city''s way.

But kevin keegan was a great bloke to let us have him at such a price, so a big thanks to kevin GIVE US A WAVE!

DAvenport cost 3 million, i reckon we could get him for 1.5 to 2 million. Depends if they are willing to sell him or not. He wont be cheap...... im just wondering where we are going to get the money from to buy him.....

I do believe we will sign Davenport, but not straight away. IMO we will get him on loan untill the end of the season and then if we go up he will sign, otherwise he wont. He would cost about £2million which is a lot but very much worth it. He is the best defender in the Championship and I havnt seen him have a bad game yet, and he is still just 21/22 so still has many years left in his promising carear. IMO he should be our first priority and then we can get that right-winger position filled.

Green

Colin Doherty Davenport Drury

Marney Hughes Safri Huckerby

Ashton McViegh

Bring on the Millwall. OTBC.

[quote]I do believe we will sign Davenport, but not straight away. IMO we will get him on loan untill the end of the season and then if we go up he will sign, otherwise he wont. He would cost about £2million...[/quote]

Ir depends on whether he wants to come here and play games or have a chance at some european glory with spurs, and whether we can match the asking price if he does want to leave.

If he wants to come I would not want to pay more than £1m - doc looks better than him and Shacks looks as good a defender too - why break the bank when we already have as good?

Taking him on loan either short or long term is not a possibility after his current loan ends - its either we buy him in Jan or say goodbye in Dec.

OTBC

[quote]Ir depends on whether he wants to come here and play games or have a chance at some european glory with spurs, and whether we can match the asking price if he does want to leave. If he wants to come ...[/quote]

I would just love Callum here full time Zipper, even if we had to include Ashton somewhere in the equation.

I expect that''ll upset a few!, but I rate Davenport that highly, and his importance to City cannot be undervalued.

He could become a ''bigger'' signing than Hucks, and Worthy has been very clever in getting him here.

So well done Worthy on that at least!.

It isn''t really a question of whether we have the money to buy him - if we could front £2m for Morrison, then we know that there is money in the kitty. What matters is if we have the funds to pay his wages. Remember a kind supporter/benefactor paid a lot of Huckerby''s wages in the early days (I don''t know if he still does).

[quote]I would just love Callum here full time Zipper, even if we had to include Ashton somewhere in the equation. I expect that''ll upset a few!, but I rate Davenport that highly, and his importance to Ci...[/quote]

Any player who ousted the finger pointing good flem deserves a contract in my eyes!

However nothing I have seen so far suggests he is any better than doc or shacks and as we have little cash to splash its a question of where do we need strengthening most. 

If we can sign him permanently at a decent price - like hux on an extras basis for league, appearances etc - then I would welcome him here as he would be a good signing and he is the right sort of age.

OTBC

[quote]Any player who ousted the finger pointing good flem deserves a contract in my eyes! However nothing I have seen so far suggests he is any better than doc or shacks and as we have little cash to spl...[/quote]

speaking of Shacks, does anyone know how long is is out for with that leg injury??

Be careful with speculating on speculation.

Firstly, I doubt we have £2m. I don''t believe our offer for Morrison was ever that much - more like 1.25m, perhaps with add-ons later.

Secondly, whatever money we had, some has now been spent on wages for Davenport and Lisbie for (between them) 4 months. Even at £10k per week that''s close to 200k, so we may only have £1m that we can scrape together.

Thirdly, it all depends on Spurs wanting to sell, and the player wanting to come. If they ask £3m we''ve got no chance. Even if the board and Worthy were desperately keen, there is only so far you can push the boat out until you''re out of your depth!

People said we should push the boat out for Hux and we did - to 750k. A few million is a very different proposition....

From what I''ve seen so far though, I really hope that we can do something, and I''d bet Worthy and the Board will do everything they can. Of course if a big offer for Ashton comes in early Jan, and he wants to go, then things may look different.

[quote]speaking of Shacks, does anyone know how long is is out for with that leg injury??[/quote]

Its ankle and I heard at least a month

[quote]I would just love Callum here full time Zipper, even if we had to include Ashton somewhere in the equation. I expect that''ll upset a few!, but I rate Davenport that highly, and his importance to Ci...[/quote]

that''s crossed my mind too Wiz, and on current form it''s probably an easier case to make than lets say if we were seeing the Ashton of last season, but and its a big but Im not convinced at all that Spurs would even want Ashton, as Jol already is finding it difficult to juggle his strikers (Keane on form but still doesnt get a place)...also assuming their scouts would continue to watch him I''m not sure current performance level would really convince them he was a 6 -7 million pound investment. The assumption is that using Ashton would be either the only way to entice Spurs to sell (not convinced by that) or that its the only way we can afford him (and that quite frankly is anyones guess)

the other thing is quality strikers ultimately (i believe) in my opinion are harder to find than quality centre halves, and command bigger money, thats why I believe we should hold on to Ashton at all costs and push the boat out for Davenport (possibly next summer, if we can get him on loan till end of season)

I''m sure this decision will be taken much nearer the time. If we are there or there abouts and Worthington feels he is the man then the board will back him. I doubt Spurs will stand in his way. The fee would undoubtedly be conditional ie payments if we reach the premiership, appearance payments and a healthy sell on clause.

It should be borne in mind that most figures quoted are the final total should all eventualities take place (see Ashton). Or better still, Wright''s supposed £6m transfer to Arsenal. The total they received was £2m, even after he was put into the England team to boost the payments. Much the same happened with Tortoise Bumble og who went to Newcastle.

If Davenport is still up to it then I would suggest the club moves for him. If we don''t go up this season we still need a a strong team for 2006/7 so why not get him now ? Fleming will be another year older and whilst I can understand why Worthington signs ''utility'' players (Docherty) we do need some players who a good in one position.

Stop - people - one worry - did anyone see him play in the premiership for Saints last year - he was pants.  Quality players and James Beattie made him look decidedly average - he might be - no he is great in this division - arguably the reason for the run of form - I am just not sure that with a premiership place as an aim he is really worth the sums being spouted about.

Sorry