Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

let get McCarthy

McCarthy is an experienced manager who knows how to get teams promoted. He has also done an excellent job at Ipswich considering the tools he''s had to work with. Utterly laughable to see the NFN''s mentioning the likes of Giggs and Huckerby. Yeah we''re currently paying the price for having a manager with little experience, so let''s get a manager with ZERO experience! Brilliant.

[quote user="King Crimson"]Can we just unsettle him so he resigns and then appoint someone else?[/quote]Sounds like a fecking good plan!

With the scum''s defence we might have a chance of promotion. Instead with Rab C Nesbitt in charge we are setting or have set a club record for games without a clean sheet.

Today''s selection was that of a drowning man trying to grasp anything to stay afloat. now that the cook has publically declared there is no ambition I don''t suppose it matters anymore. Thompson played well last match so doesn''t even make the bench today. If he''s not injured young Rab needs putting out of his misery.

You were saying ?

GOAL (Assombalonga)

Ipswich 0-1 Nottingham Forest

Posted at

1 min

That didn''t take long!

Ipswich fall asleep at the back, and Ben Osborn slides a perfect pass through to Britt Assombalonga, who slots the ball low into the back of the net with his left foot.

The home fans are stunned.

After this evening''s game the scum''s defence ranks 4th= in the Championship with 17 goals against. We rank 22nd with 29 goals against.

Seems I''m more on the pulse than you bunch of jokers.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]After this evening''s game the scum''s defence ranks 4th= in the Championship with 17 goals against. We rank 22nd with 29 goals against.

Seems I''m more on the pulse than you bunch of jokers.[/quote]Didn''t we have a massively negative manager recently, that everyone hated?Surely league position is more important?

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]My point Morty is that our attacking play coupled with their defensive play would give us a much better chance of promotion.[/quote]We score so many goals because we attack with our fullbacks, which leaves us open, you can''t have it both ways.Individual errors is the problem though, not the system.

Dunno the system isn''t working. You don''t with our squad, have the 3rd or 2nd worst defence in the league if the system is good.

You can accept being in the top 4 scorers and then the 12th, at worst, defensively. That would indicate a working system. Our current free fall isn''t because we can''t score but because we are asking too much from our strikers. Individual mistakes maybe but we changed personnel yet our defensive shape was as bad as it''s been recently.

[quote user="hogesar"]Dunno the system isn''t working. You don''t with our squad, have the 3rd or 2nd worst defence in the league if the system is good.

You can accept being in the top 4 scorers and then the 12th, at worst, defensively. That would indicate a working system. Our current free fall isn''t because we can''t score but because we are asking too much from our strikers. Individual mistakes maybe but we changed personnel yet our defensive shape was as bad as it''s been recently.[/quote]I don''t get it, regardless of how we attack, you have a standard defensive unit of a keeper, two cb''s and two full backs. Players that have likely played there all their lives. I honestly can''t get my head round what Alex Neil is coaching into them that makes the whole thing not work.Its not like we''re faffing around with wing backs or three at the back, this is a standard defensive unit.My point about the full backs attacking isn''t even the issue either really, because as soon as one attacks the dm should tuck in to cover. All pretty standard stuff. And I have rarely seen us undone by a winger exploiting the gap left by an attacking fullback. But what I have seen a lot of is basic, individual errors. 

We have made a lot of individual errors but when everyone is doing it you have to look at the coaching - can we no longer deal with pressure? Why not? Plenty of these players have done in the past..

And unfortunately I''ve not seen us keep a solid defensive shape...probably all season.

Look back at the goal we can concede. It''s less to do with wingers exploiting space behind, although it has happened on occasion, but much more to do with our two centre backs getting pulled apart covering space and pretty much always resulting in unmarked players arriving into the box late etc.

We''ve tried just persisting with the same players in the same system and giving them a chance to get it right. As Alex Neil rightly said they didn''t manage that.

He''s now tried different players in the same system and none of our problems have been resolved or even remotely looked improved.

I think to still think the system, and not just formation but our entire tactical setup, isn''t a problem is a bit naive considering all the evidence.

What you say is right Morty but unfortunately it''s not working. Mainly because we can''t seem to cut out the individual mistakes when we''re under pressure. It''s been our Achilles heel for a year.

So do we just carry on bemoaning our bad defending or do we change system to take the pressure off our defence? Stop pushing the full backs forward so we can limit the fast breaks the through balls that catch us out so often. Then employ two direct wide players (we have a couple of those!) and maybe go two up top now and again.

That might nor work either but we can''t just carry on like this. It won''t just sort itself out.

The problem is we turn into a complete mess as soon as a ball gets put into the box. Even today, after 30seconds we could not deal with a throw in, chaos ensues and the game is effectively over

If you were Derby''s manager, you are saying to your players to get the ball into the box at every opportunity as we will crack under the slightest pressure.

I can accept individual errors, but this is truly incredible. Almost every goal is now an individual error. Missed tackles, blocks, free headers, GK errors, and its the entire back 4, regardless of who plays there

[quote user="hogesar"]We have made a lot of individual errors but when everyone is doing it you have to look at the coaching - can we no longer deal with pressure? Why not? Plenty of these players have done in the past..

And unfortunately I''ve not seen us keep a solid defensive shape...probably all season.

Look back at the goal we can concede. It''s less to do with wingers exploiting space behind, although it has happened on occasion, but much more to do with our two centre backs getting pulled apart covering space and pretty much always resulting in unmarked players arriving into the box late etc.

We''ve tried just persisting with the same players in the same system and giving them a chance to get it right. As Alex Neil rightly said they didn''t manage that.

He''s now tried different players in the same system and none of our problems have been resolved or even remotely looked improved.

I think to still think the system, and not just formation but our entire tactical setup, isn''t a problem is a bit naive considering all the evidence.[/quote]I''m not saying the system isn''t playing a part. But the players should be perfectly capable of playing the system.I''m still calling at least 80% individual error.Seriously I don''t think Alex Neil is coaching defending set pieces any different to most managers.

But as our manager, should it not be his job to manage the players & coach them to stop making the same mistakes over & over again

I''m sure every manager doe not use the same methods to coach set pieces - its up to him to find a way to get the messages across to players to help us cut out the mistakes.

Its there where I think his biggest failing our. He doesn''t have the experience of things going wrong to realize he has to make the changes

At the minute he seems to think he has his way, its the correct way & its the players that need to do better - hence the ''hard work'' quote that keeps getting repeated after every game

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]But as our manager, should it not be his job to manage the players & coach them to stop making the same mistakes over & over again

I''m sure every manager doe not use the same methods to coach set pieces - its up to him to find a way to get the messages across to players to help us cut out the mistakes.

Its there where I think his biggest failing our. He doesn''t have the experience of things going wrong to realize he has to make the changes

At the minute he seems to think he has his way, its the correct way & its the players that need to do better - hence the ''hard work'' quote that keeps getting repeated after every game[/quote]Defending set pieces is about as basic as it gets, I really don''t think there are many different ways to do it.What changes do you want him to make exactly? We changed personnel today, and we conceded two goals through individual errors.And Jesus Christ, Alex Neil really shouldn''t be having to tell guys that have been playing football for years how to head balls away, or track runners.