Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

We're not much better than when Adams was in charge?

At the same stage, after 17 games in the 2014/15 season we were languishing in 10th

with 26 pts under Neil Adams. Now we have 27 pts but with a better squad

and a league position that''s hiding a lot of cracks. Admitedly we

haven''t played all the teams yet, but with the exception of Bristol City

all the teams we have beaten are 19th and below. I cannot see us staying

top 6 under Neil.

this was interesting to read - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38014171?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sportwe''re in danger of becoming one of these clubs.indeed the article makes an interesting point "since 2012/13 of the clubs mentioned, only 2 are now in a better position than they were after sacking managers"sooner or later you have to stick with someone long term and see them through the other side.

Are we in danger of becoming one of those clubs?

Alex Neil has been manager for all almost 2 years now, it''s not as though we change at the first sign of trouble. I''m not sure what the average time a manager soends a team a club, I think it''s less than 2 years though

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Are we in danger of becoming one of those clubs?

Alex Neil has been manager for all almost 2 years now, it''s not as though we change at the first sign of trouble. I''m not sure what the average time a manager soends a team a club, I think it''s less than 2 years though[/quote]the answers in the Article.Since 2012 we''ve had Lambert, Hughton, Adams and Neil.. 4 managers in 4 years...whilst we aren''t quite at Blackpool’s 5 managers in 1 season yet we aren''t far off "doing a Leeds" or a Nottingham Forest.how long do we keep changing and what do we hope to achieve by doing so?

Jaz that''s a bit selective, Lambert was here from 2009-2012, Hughton 2012-2014, Adams, what, six months with a break in between, Neil 2014-2016 so were not really a sacking club.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Jaz that''s a bit selective, Lambert was here from 2009-2012, Hughton 2012-2014, Adams, what, six months with a break in between, Neil 2014-2016 so were not really a sacking club.[/quote]Burnley have had 1 manager in that same period of time and ignored calls from the fans to sack him when it started going wrong... a smaller club than us with a poorer stadium and limited resources yet they''ve made many look like mugs...lets look at Bournemouth and sticking with someone when it goes wrong gets you?or we can just sack every 2 years and stagnate.

Well I can''t argue with those facts obviously but in all honesty do you think AN can turn this around and get us close to going up? I think the autos are going to be beyond us now and the playoffs at the moment are looking doubtful. 1 point from a possible 15 and except Brighton all those games were against teams below us. 5 goals for 13 against, 2 games at home 3 away.

To be fair when Adams was in charge we at least dominated and really destroyed several of the lower teams with 4 or 5 goals. We''ve not seen that this season and I don''t think the bottom 5 this season is any stronger than last time. Yet I think we have a slightly stronger squad than we did last time.

BTW Bournemouth didn''t stick with Eddie Howe, he''s had nothing but success since he went back. He failed at Burnley mind, so they aren''t the shining example either.

Syteanric wrote:

''''or we can just sack every 2 years and stagnate.''''

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We''re already stagnating!! I like the principle but the players have lost their faith in the manager, the writing is on the wall.

We might have a stronger squad on paper but we aren''t a better team on the pitch. At least we didn''t fold today. And despite having 10 men all game by all accounts we were the fitter team at the end of the game today. Let''s hope we start like that next week...

[quote user="Syteanric"][quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Are we in danger of becoming one of those clubs?

Alex Neil has been manager for all almost 2 years now, it''s not as though we change at the first sign of trouble. I''m not sure what the average time a manager soends a team a club, I think it''s less than 2 years though[/quote]the answers in the Article.Since 2012 we''ve had Lambert, Hughton, Adams and Neil.. 4 managers in 4 years...whilst we aren''t quite at Blackpool’s 5 managers in 1 season yet we aren''t far off "doing a Leeds" or a Nottingham Forest.how long do we keep changing and what do we hope to achieve by doing so?[/quote]It''s a fair point although Lambert wanted to leave, Adams I believe actually resigned and Neil is still here. I''ve not seen enough evidence to suggest Neil is ''a keeper''.

I agree we aren''t a better team on the pitch Nutty but that comes from the management and coaching.

It comes from within the players Hoggy. You can''t coach in team spirit. We didn''t fold today. That will count for nothing if we don''t build from it. But there''s a massive difference between today and the end of the Brighton game. Perhaps having Bassong in the team helped.

Sorry nutty but I disagree. Coaching in team spirit is surely one of the fundamentals of being a manager. Ranieiri virtually won the PL,on that alone. Mourinho lost it at Chelsea. Under Lambert and previously Walker in the early 90s we could see ourselves what spirirt they seemed to generate.

Unfortunately nutty it may partially be down to the players but it''s clear management and coaching staff play a vital role in confidence and morale which are intrinsically linked to team spirit.

As for Bassong he was the best of yet another terrible defensive display throughout the pitch.

My point about Seb is that he is a leader on the field. He''s one that the other players seem to like and respect. When the chips are down you need those guys.

I''ll absolutely guarantee that if we went to Colney we would come away convinced that the team spirit was there. It''s just not being transferred to the pitch. An ex first team played told me more than once that once they''re on the pitch its down to them.

We didn''t fold today. Finished the game the stronger and fitter team. That will have pleased the manager and given him something to work on. Let''s hope we start from there next week.

If it''s happening in training but not on the pitch then again, unfortunately nutty, the backroom staff have responsibility. In fact managers of past have always said one of the hardest things seems to be getting players to replicate training performances into actual matches.

We didn''t collapse which is a positive but it''s also a bare minimum requirement. Had we not completely fell apart against Brighton that wouldn''t even be deemed a positive.

I''m at Derby next week so hopefully we start better than we did today...

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 2016-11-20 1:01 AM:

We might have a stronger squad on paper but we aren''t a better team on the pitch. At least we didn''t fold today. And despite having 10 men all game by all accounts we were the fitter team at the end of the game today. Let''s hope we start like that next week...

We didn''t fold nutty because QPR were a very poor side who completely and utterly failed to exploit the advantage they had. Had they done so, it could have been a cricket score with our woeful defending. I''ve seen some poor matches this season, but this was embarrassing, where was the passion and pride in wearing that shirt. It was just woeful and it''s the first time I have seen City supporters walk out when the second went in through Ruddys legs.

The manager is the easy target and I don''t thin he can win (😕) from here. Worthy was in a similar position and went on a 5 game winning run. He got no credit and as soon as he lost one the knives were out again. Then we started the next season Well but the same thing happened as soon as we lost a couple. Thing is we then had Grant, Roeder,....

Why are QPR such a poor side City 2nd. Parachute payments and owners to die for. What could possibly go wrong?

[quote user="City 2nd"]nutty nigel wrote the following post at 2016-11-20 1:01 AM:

We didn''t fold nutty because QPR were a very poor side who completely and utterly failed to exploit the advantage they had. Had they done so, it could have been a cricket score with our woeful defending. I''ve seen some poor matches this season, but this was embarrassing, where was the passion and pride in wearing that shirt. It was just woeful and it''s the first time I have seen City supporters walk out when the second went in through Ruddys legs.[/quote]Yeah for an early half time pint....

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 2016-11-20 3:06 AM:

The manager is the easy target and I don''t thin he can win (😕) from here. Worthy was in a similar position and went on a 5 game winning run. He got no credit and as soon as he lost one the knives were out again. Then we started the next season Well but the same thing happened as soon as we lost a couple. Thing is we then had Grant, Roeder,....

Why are QPR such a poor side City 2nd. Parachute payments and owners to die for. What could possibly go wrong?

If you were there Nutty you know that QPR were poor, but not as poor as City. And who mentioned parachute payments and owners?

At least they had the balls (excuse the pun) to get rid of an under-achieving manager.

Yeah. But they did replace him with Ian Holloway. That''s like replacing your current babysitter Jimmy Saville with one of the McCann parents.

[quote user="hogesar"]Yeah. But they did replace him with Ian Holloway. That''s like replacing your current babysitter Jimmy Saville with one of the McCann parents.[/quote][:D]