Sign in to follow this  
Chicago Cub

Tunisia v Morocco

It''s now 2-2 with Safri going off on a stretcher. Not good news. I hope he''s not too badly injured. We need to so badly.

oh dear.......

latest news on safris injury would be highly appreciated, he is a key player, and without him we are in for some serious trouble.....

sounds a good game thou

Is this safri injury story for real? Have read the reports on the FIFA site and others and it mentions that he conceded a penalty but no mention of being stretchered off...

(everything crossed)

ive searched but to no avail of safri''s news

Matters worsened for the shaky Moroccans after a recurrent thigh injury forced dynamo Youssef Safri to withdraw from the game, ceding his place to an inexperienced Mourad Hdioud.

http://www.moroccotimes.com/paper/article.asp?idr=28&id=10168

[quote]Matters worsened for the shaky Moroccans after a recurrent thigh injury forced dynamo Youssef Safri to withdraw from the game, ceding his place to an inexperienced Mourad Hdioud. http://www.moroccoti...[/quote]

...well Worthy did ask the Morocco FA not to play him because of this injury, so why did they then ?

He went to an international  with an injury ?  , whats going on  eh ?  was there a clause in his contract  stating that  if Saffri  wants to attend  internationals , even though he`s injured , then the club cannot stop him ?  ......  somethings  wrong here !    he comes limping back , and the club pays his wages  while he sits on his a**e !! 

What worries me most is that Safri''s contract expires June 2006.
Will he go on a free transfer or will he stay?

Could you see Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger letting their players go off to an Internaional fixture with an injury of any sort?

I think not.

Fingers crossed there''s not a problem here - we''ve got 7 matches in 3 weeks starting this saturday, so a real test of anyones fitness.

[quote]He went to an international with an injury ? , whats going on eh ? was there a clause in his contract stating that if Saffri wants to attend internationals , even though he`s injured , then th...[/quote]

The FIFA rules are very clear - the national appearances take precedence over everything for competitive games and it is for the national teams doc to decide whether he is fit or not - it it one of the hazards that the club knows it takes on when signing any international player.

If Safri himself felt unfit then he would not have played, but I am pretty sure his desire to play at next years world cup would have driven him on anyway.

There is nothing City could do to prevent him playing - if they stopped him going FIFA would suspend him for 10 days after his return and he would miss a couple of games anyway.  Any contract terms stating no international appearances would be an unfair term anyway.  

The rules are there to stop the G14 clubs dominating who does and does not play - and I welcome them to be honest.

OTBC 

The FIFA rules are , obviously , wrong then ZLF ,   for a start Safri`s`s national team doc  will not give a s**t if  Safri   is lamed for ,maybe , weeks because he played with an existing injury ! ...he will , obviously , be biased  to  follow  his employers  " guidance " ....  not to mention the fact that  he wont be paying  Safri`s wages  while he lolls about  !! 

[quote]The FIFA rules are , obviously , wrong then ZLF , for a start Safri`s`s national team doc will not give a s**t if Safri is lamed for ,maybe , weeks because he played with an existing injury ! .....[/quote]

I agree it is one of the problems facing football with the clubs paying wages however we will have to simply disagree whether it is right or wrong.

The G14 clubs are looking for national FAs to pay for players when they are away on duty - can you see Ivory Coasts FA, for example, being able to pay even part of the wages for Drogba?   Should Drogba have to forego appearing in the world cup, every players ultimate dream to represent your club there, because the fa can''t afford his wages or because chelski dont want him to go.  They have made the world cup for the first

It is a bitter pill to take but one I am reluctantly happy to take as it is better than ruining international football at the cost of the money hungry club game.   It is something every manager has to balance when deciding whether to sign a player or not.

OTBC  

Agreed. As much as it pains me to think he might be out for the next few weeks, we can''t be swathing the Barclay in Moroccan (all over the world) flags one minute and then denying him the chance to play for his country in a crucial world cup qualifier the next...

I take your points ZLF and 0405 ,  yet ,  Safri  played that international   with a calf injury , an injury that  caused Nigel to ask him not to play ?  , Safri chose to ignore this , he played , and obviously aggravated  the injury  , thereby making himself   unavailable  to play  in some crucial games to come  !   for him to limp back here , and expect to continue  drawing  wages  , is a hard pill to swallow !!  .....  there must be a legal  out for  the club , wherein Safri  can be told to get stuffed  , and to tell him to come back when he`s fit .... yeah , I know it wont happen , but , in any other job but football ,  he would be  on the dole !

[quote]I take your points ZLF and 0405 , yet , Safri played that international with a calf injury , an injury that caused Nigel to ask him not to play ? , Safri chose to ignore this , he played , and ...[/quote]

I dont think the club would have a leg to stand on, nor should it have, since only the other week Worthington played a clearly unfit Ashton who then had to be taken off suffering blinding headaches. Pots and kettles spring to mind, or perhaps stones and glass houses.

[quote]I dont think the club would have a leg to stand on, nor should it have, since only the other week Worthington played a clearly unfit Ashton who then had to be taken off suffering blinding headaches. P...[/quote]

Yes , Nigel  played Deano  , despite an obvious concussion , and I   did post my  anger at  this  !   but the case of Safri is a bit different , inasmuch that  he ignored the advice of our physio`s , ignored a request from Nigel not to go , thereby he , literally , made himself  unemployable !  I stand by what I said , Safri should NOT limp back here and expect to draw wages  when  he was the architect  of his injury !!

Of course , the reality  is that Safri will sit on his aris  for God knows how long  , obtaining money he hasn`t earned ,  meanwhile, his selfish  lack of consideration to his employers may just bugger our chances of a promotion play off