Sign in to follow this  
morty

Theoretical scenario.

We win on Saturday.Whats your plan?Be happy that we have won, and maybe making steps to recovery? A begrudging harumph, then predict Derby were on the beach?Is there any way back for Alex Neil for those of you that have the noose around his neck?

Happy that we have won, but it is becoming like shades of Houghton in that the manner of the performances are as important as the results. We have shown a lack of fight and guts recently and it will take more than one victory to turn it round. It would however arrest the slide and perhaps provide a base we can build from.

We miss Howson and Pinto badly, and that isn''t down to AN''s tactics or player management.

[quote user="Number 9"]Surely that''s more hypothetical rather than theoretical?[/quote]Thanks for participating[Y]

[quote user="Mary Poppins"]Happy that we have won, but it is becoming like shades of Houghton in that the manner of the performances are as important as the results. We have shown a lack of fight and guts recently and it will take more than one victory to turn it round. It would however arrest the slide and perhaps provide a base we can build from.

We miss Howson and Pinto badly, and that isn''t down to AN''s tactics or player management.[/quote][Y]A theory has been put forward that it is beyond repair for some fans. That even if we win ten on the bounce, then lose one, they will be straight back on him.I wonder what that says about those fans?

If we win with a convincing performance I''m happy to see if we can turn it around with AN in charge. The hardest thing in management is getting out of these slumps but a good performance and victory away at Derby would be, potentially, a terrific turning point.

Plus, for the first time in a while i''m actually going away so it''d be nice to see us win!

Not one match no but say in the next five he gets us playing solidly as a unit with good use of substitutions then maybe.

Thats a big ask though Morty as he hasn''t really managed that all season.

[quote user="Bagster"]Not one match no but say in the next five he gets us playing solidly as a unit with good use of substitutions then maybe.

Thats a big ask though Morty as he hasn''t really managed that all season.[/quote]Apart from all those games we won, and when he was manager of the month?

[quote user="Number 9"]😁

What I meant by that comment was that it''s not likely to happen.[/quote]Do you want it to happen? Would you be happy if it did?

[quote user="hogesar"]If we win with a convincing performance I''m happy to see if we can turn it around with AN in charge. The hardest thing in management is getting out of these slumps but a good performance and victory away at Derby would be, potentially, a terrific turning point.

Plus, for the first time in a while i''m actually going away so it''d be nice to see us win![/quote]I''ll be there too.I think the very best scenario, amongst all the nonsense and "Roeder mk 2" nonsense, is that Alex Neil somehow manages to turn it around.

So would you say that we were a solid unit in all those victories. Also we have won 8 games 7 against the bottom 7.

Losing against mainly top half teams, that suggests to me a mid table finish. As you said in a previous thread that this season is our best chance of going back up.

I have said it before that I would love to see him succeed but the evidence points to the contary

Always gutted if we lose or even draw, 3 points and a win for me every time.

However, I firmly believe that we need to change the manager now, have done for a while.

He has consistently failed to address the core problem of conceding too many goals.

[quote user="Bagster"]So would you say that we were a solid unit in all those victories. Also we have won 8 games 7 against the bottom 7.

Losing against mainly top half teams, that suggests to me a mid table finish. As you said in a previous thread that this season is our best chance of going back up.

I have said it before that I would love to see him succeed but the evidence points to the contary[/quote]A win is a win. Somehow suggesting we didn''t deserve to win the games we did really is just suiting an agenda.I thought people admired a side that could play badly, but still win?

[quote user="Number 9"]Always gutted if we lose or even draw, 3 points and a win for me every time.

However, I firmly believe that we need to change the manager now, have done for a while.

He has consistently failed to address the core problem of conceding too many goals.[/quote]We have always conceded lots of goals[:D]This honestly isn''t something exclusive to Alex Neil!

I''ll be pleased but still not convinced. I need to see an upturn in results and general performances (particularly defensive) over a few games before I feel we''ve turned a corner.

I''d still like to see AN turn it around, I''m just very sceptical he can.

There is a section of our support that would secretly be smug if we lose on Saturday, just so they can be proven "correct".There, I said it.

[quote user="king canary"]I''ll be pleased but still not convinced. I need to see an upturn in results and general performances (particularly defensive) over a few games before I feel we''ve turned a corner.

I''d still like to see AN turn it around, I''m just very sceptical he can.[/quote]Thats a fair summing up of the situation[Y]

[quote user="hogesar"]If we win with a convincing performance I''m happy to see if we can turn it around with AN in charge. The hardest thing in management is getting out of these slumps but a good performance and victory away at Derby would be, potentially, a terrific turning point.

Plus, for the first time in a while i''m actually going away so it''d be nice to see us win![/quote]

Hogesar, bearing in mind you were quick to judge those who live far away from CR for not making the effort to go to all home games, it surprises me to see you don''t make the effort to go to more away games.

Where is your loyalty? Or are you a plastic like us in exile?

That would be the best scenario and if AN can pull it off he will be a very capable manager because it seldom happens.

I always want City to win and a clean sheet would be even better. I thought we would lose to QPR before the game but didn''t voice it because that is no way to approach a match.

But even during the winning run (remember Hughton had the same thing) it was fine margins but ultimately counted for nothing over the season. With AN it was against poor sides and supporters were sceptical of the games because of the defensive frailties on show and the tendency to almost throw away leading positions.

The only thing that has changed is our lack of potency going forward.

Alex Neil has to achieve change in too many areas and like the typical manager under pressure he has become fearful of change as his late substitutions show.

Morty do you think if we keep Alex that we will gain promotion this year?

I certainly woudn''t feel smug about losing I honestly thought at the start of the season that we would get 2nd place this season.

I was happy to stick with Alex but looking at the 17 games we have played we have underperformed.

maybe I was just over optimistic about our chances, maybe I am wrong, I am definitely not one to be happy to lose to prove a point.

[quote user="Bagster"]Morty do you think if we keep Alex that we will gain promotion this year?

I certainly woudn''t feel smug about losing I honestly thought at the start of the season that we would get 2nd place this season.

I was happy to stick with Alex but looking at the 17 games we have played we have underperformed.

maybe I was just over optimistic about our chances, maybe I am wrong, I am definitely not one to be happy to lose to prove a point.[/quote]No idea.I also have no idea if we sack him it will make any difference.

I''ll be there.  For me...

If we play badly and lose or draw, I will still think AN needs to go.

If we put in a really good performance, with the players looking committed and organised, and get a win, then I will be delighted and I will hope it shows AN can turn it around - although one game would only be the start.

If we play badly and are lucky to sneak a win, I''ll be glad because I always want City to win, but I''ll have mixed feelings because I will still think AN needs to go.

Never happy to see City lose.  But I do wonder if we''re at one of those "First Wiz" points when getting rid of the manager is more important than a single result.  He''s had plenty of time to turn it around, with no sign of improvement.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bagster"]Morty do you think if we keep Alex that we will gain promotion this year? I certainly woudn''t feel smug about losing I honestly thought at the start of the season that we would get 2nd place this season. I was happy to stick with Alex but looking at the 17 games we have played we have underperformed. maybe I was just over optimistic about our chances, maybe I am wrong, I am definitely not one to be happy to lose to prove a point.[/quote]

No idea.

I also have no idea if we sack him it will make any difference.
[/quote]

As Paul Gascoigne said "I never make predictions... especially about the future."

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

I''ll be there.  For me...

If we play badly and lose or draw, I will still think AN needs to go.

If we put in a really good performance, with the players looking committed and organised, and get a win, then I will be delighted and I will hope it shows AN can turn it around - although one game would only be the start.

If we play badly and are lucky to sneak a win, I''ll be glad because I always want City to win, but I''ll have mixed feelings because I will still think AN needs to go.

Never happy to see City lose.  But I do wonder if we''re at one of those "First Wiz" points when getting rid of the manager is more important than a single result.  He''s had plenty of time to turn it around, with no sign of improvement.

[/quote]I don''t disagree with much of that, but on the last point, I take a step back and think about the fact it was only a month ago we were top of the league and Alex was manager of the month, and I start to consider, is there a certain amount of overreaction happening?You could look at in the context of we got relegated, thats done, it happened, its put in a box. Just in the context, of what is happening this season, I think there could be shades of self entitlement.

Not bothered about how we do it, but if we win I''d have a lovely drive home buzzing about how he''s turned it around and looking forward to the next match and the start of a run.