Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

2016 AGM

[quote user="vos"]Will be interesting to see how Ed Balls handles what is sure to be a difficult meeting. Being a politician he is not in the same league as shrewd businessman Alan Bowkett who had considerable experience in the Chair. [/quote]

I''m sure the AGM will be just the same as the debating chamber at the Houses of Parliament during PMQ''s.

*Should think whole post through before hitting send, oh for an edit button*I would think it is nigh on impossible to set out an exact financial strategy and policy because of the very nature of the football business. The only absolute definite income is what is stated by the TV companies, and season ticket money. Everything else is entirely variable.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="93vintage"]I have a question for the AGM, perhaps someone who''s going (Tilly?) might like to ask it :-"In the Annual Report, the club''s future strategy consisted of investing all available

surplus cash into our squad in an attempt to return to the Premier League and hence be able to finance long term investment projects.How can the club hope to be able to finance long term projects if it doesn''t have a long term strategy eg with respect to selling players, age profile of our purchases,
integration of youth players, squad turnover and quality of product."~~~~~~~~If the answer claims that there are such strategies in place, then ask why these weren''t stated in the Annual Report.For reference, below is the club''s strategy as per the Strategic Report section of the [url=http://www.canaries.co.uk/cms_images/annual-report-2016-web132-3388231.pdf]Annual Report[/url]."The Club’s future strategy remains that of investing all available

surplus cash in to the playing squad and hence maximising the chances of

returning to the Premier League at the earliest opportunity. This in

turn will allow the consideration of longer term investment projects

centred on both the Club’s training facilities at Colney and at Carrow

Road itself."[/quote]But isn''t the report, primarily, a financial one?I would think it is nigh on impossible to set out an exact financial

strategy and policy because of the very nature of the football business.

The only absolute definite income is what is stated by the TV

companies, and season ticket money. Everything else is entirely

variable.[/quote]All annual reports state some kind of description of a company''s strategy eg how they intend to compete, keep skilled staff, where they source their raw materials, how to mitigate against exchange rates, supply problems etc.Even some small quoted firms will highlight the relevant stategic issues in some detail, especially if there have been issues with performance. We got two sentences, albeit perhaps because Ed''s 10 year plan might affect the club''s future strategic direction.It''s precisely because of the highly variable nature of football that we need a long term strategy. I''m referring to general areas rather than specific financial issues.If conditions are very unpredictable then we need to do as well as we can in areas that are under our control, eg buying, selling, youth and things like having a consistent playing style at all levels (Parma alluded to this).I think we''ve not really had a consistent approach in these areas and have suffered because of it. For example, we went from buying young & hungry under Lambert and playing attacking football, to recruiting lots of older players and playing defensively under Hughton. I think too much is left to the manager, when it should be the manager working within a general framework set by the board.If we had a long term strategy in place then maybe we''d have had less severe issues with eg age of the squad (highlighted by Alex Neil) and recruitment. We need to be a lot more organised with the things that we can control.

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="morty"][quote user="93vintage"]I have a question for the AGM, perhaps someone who''s going (Tilly?) might like to ask it :-"In the Annual Report, the club''s future strategy consisted of investing all available

surplus cash into our squad in an attempt to return to the Premier League and hence be able to finance long term investment projects.How can the club hope to be able to finance long term projects if it doesn''t have a long term strategy eg with respect to selling players, age profile of our purchases,
integration of youth players, squad turnover and quality of product."~~~~~~~~If the answer claims that there are such strategies in place, then ask why these weren''t stated in the Annual Report.For reference, below is the club''s strategy as per the Strategic Report section of the [url=http://www.canaries.co.uk/cms_images/annual-report-2016-web132-3388231.pdf]Annual Report[/url]."The Club’s future strategy remains that of investing all available

Road itself."[/quote]But isn''t the report, primarily, a financial one?I would think it is nigh on impossible to set out an exact financial

variable.[/quote]All annual reports state some kind of description of a company''s strategy eg how they intend to compete, keep skilled staff, where they source their raw materials, how to mitigate against exchange rates, supply problems etc.Even some small quoted firms will highlight the relevant stategic issues in some detail, especially if there have been issues with performance. We got two sentences, albeit perhaps because Ed''s 10 year plan might affect the club''s future strategic direction.It''s precisely because of the highly variable nature of football that we need a long term strategy. I''m referring to general areas rather than specific financial issues.If conditions are very unpredictable then we need to do as well as we can in areas that are under our control, eg buying, selling, youth and things like having a consistent playing style at all levels (Parma alluded to this).I think we''ve not really had a consistent approach in these areas and have suffered because of it. For example, we went from buying young & hungry under Lambert and playing attacking football, to recruiting lots of older players and playing defensively under Hughton. I think too much is left to the manager, when it should be the manager working within a general framework set by the board.If we had a long term strategy in place then maybe we''d have had less severe issues with eg age of the squad (highlighted by Alex Neil) and recruitment. We need to be a lot more organised with the things that we can control.[/quote]But there is actually very, very little you can control.And the manager should have the majority of say in footballing matters, not a load of old codgers in a boardroom who have never kicked a ball in their life.We bought a mix of players, there was no exclusive "young and hungry" policy at all. Fact is we were in league one, so we were unlikely to be buying household names, and you may have forgotten that we also bought a lot that didn''t work out under Lambert too.There literally is no framework you can work to. "Right, we want two centre backs, they must be really good, and aged between 24 and 26, we will sign them on a 3 year deal, with an automatic extra year clause, that we will retract if it suits us"If you look closely enough, there is a strategy, it may just not be one that you agree with.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]I hope everyone enjoy themselves at tonight''s AGM. [/quote]It is tomorrow night Crafty.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="93vintage"][quote user="morty"][quote user="93vintage"]I have a question for the AGM, perhaps someone who''s going (Tilly?) might like to ask it :-"In the Annual Report, the club''s future strategy consisted of investing all available

variable.[/quote]All annual reports state some kind of description of a company''s strategy eg how they intend to compete, keep skilled staff, where they source their raw materials, how to mitigate against exchange rates, supply problems etc.Even some small quoted firms will highlight the relevant stategic issues in some detail, especially if there have been issues with performance. We got two sentences, albeit perhaps because Ed''s 10 year plan might affect the club''s future strategic direction.It''s precisely because of the highly variable nature of football that we need a long term strategy. I''m referring to general areas rather than specific financial issues.If conditions are very unpredictable then we need to do as well as we can in areas that are under our control, eg buying, selling, youth and things like having a consistent playing style at all levels (Parma alluded to this).I think we''ve not really had a consistent approach in these areas and have suffered because of it. For example, we went from buying young & hungry under Lambert and playing attacking football, to recruiting lots of older players and playing defensively under Hughton. I think too much is left to the manager, when it should be the manager working within a general framework set by the board.If we had a long term strategy in place then maybe we''d have had less severe issues with eg age of the squad (highlighted by Alex Neil) and recruitment. We need to be a lot more organised with the things that we can control.[/quote]But there is actually very, very little you can control.And the manager should have the majority of say in footballing matters, not a load of old codgers in a boardroom who have never kicked a ball in their life.We bought a mix of players, there was no exclusive "young and hungry" policy at all. Fact is we were in league one, so we were unlikely to be buying household names, and you may have forgotten that we also bought a lot that didn''t work out under Lambert too.There literally is no framework you can work to. "Right, we want two centre backs, they must be really good, and aged between 24 and 26, we will sign them on a 3 year deal, with an automatic extra year clause, that we will retract if it suits us"If you look closely enough, there is a strategy, it may just not be one that you agree with.[/quote]I don''t think we''d have bought players like Naismith or Mulumbu under Lambert. They are just two examples, but demonstrate a key area in which we''ve been going wrong.We''d have been better off spending the money on a couple of younger players, say in their mid 20s who could maybe improve the squad in the longer term. Some of our youth players are getting into our first team, but we haven''t got enough players in their mid 20s who are able to step up in a similar way, eg in defence. We used to recruit like this in the 80s and early 90s, less so in the last 20 odd years.With regard to the board and manager, I''ve said before that we ought to have an expanded football board and a footballing person sitting on the main board, similar to how it''s done at some European clubs (iirc this is the case at Bayern). Having different managers chopping and changing our strategy isn''t ideal.I think there is a strategy, and you''re right in saying that it''s one that I don''t agree with. But it certainly wasn''t stated in the report because it''s probably of an adhoc nature and subject to change whenever the manager changes. Just stating that we''re going to put as much spare dosh as possible into the first team isn''t much of a strategy.We need proper long term planning from our board, and the manager needs to work within this if we want to be able to effectively compete with bigger clubs. Consistency is key.

Naismith and Mulumbu were widely received, by most fans, as pretty good buys.All easy in hindsight, isn''t it?

[quote user="morty"]Naismith and Mulumbu were widely received, by most fans, as pretty good buys.All easy in hindsight, isn''t it?[/quote]I can''t remember if I posted about Mulumbu, but I do remember posting about the club digging itself a bigger hole by buying Naismith and discussing his cruciate injuries with you yourself. I actually quite liked Naismith as a player, but thought his age, injury record & price paid went against it being a wise move.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="vos"]Will be interesting to see how Ed Balls handles what is sure to be a difficult meeting. Being a politician he is not in the same league as shrewd businessman Alan Bowkett who had considerable experience in the Chair. [/quote]I''m sure the AGM will be just the same as the debating chamber at the Houses of Parliament during PMQ''s.[/quote]It''ll be nothing like it.Everyone''s banging on about how people who complain on here should do it tomorrow night in person at the AGM. Well we all know Delia''s Norfolk old boys will be at their intimidating best, sucking up to her as usual and shouting down any dissent. No wonder fans signing from a different hymn sheet find it nigh on impossible to get their voices heard. I would be the same.I well remember a fans forum some time ago when our old mate Smudger tried to make a point. Love him or hate him he did at least have the balls to stand up and protest but, lo and behold, he was howled down by the usual suspects ( you know the ones Nutty ). Then, sitting next to me I overheard a middle aged woman say, " What does he know, he hasn''t even got a Norfolk accent " at the same time failing to remember the only member of her precious Board who did have one was the bloke who made a living out of chickens. You couldn''t make it up....Anyone fortunate enough to get through the suck-ups on the floor will be comfortably batted away by Ed and Jez. Those two will be bolstered by the happy clappers but they don''t really need that. Ed has decades of experience as a politician so anything he might lack from a business perspective is more than made up by his expertise in never answering a question. Likewise after nigh on 20 years as Chief Exec of Wolves Jez is as smooth as a baby''s bum at handling AGMs.It is a possiblity that with the local media now demanding the manager''s head thing''s might liven up a bit. That''s long overdue but from all known previous form it just won''t happen.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Thanks Tilly, I had it down as the 22nd for some reason.[/quote]

I was going to make a cheap gag about how unsurprising it was that you "didn''t know what day it was" but in alignment with my being a better person, I''ve decided against it.

Are you not coming then Crafty? I''ll save you a seat if you are?

👍

Now then Smiffy. I''m sure if someone was to get up and say the board and Alex Neil were doing a wonderful job they''d get disaproving looks, tut tuts with those of the oposite view making them feel intimidated and ridiculed. Whether that would be by the usual suspects or certain shareholders I''m not sure.

To be honest using these people as an excuse to become the silent majority is weak and pathetic. What would you call someone who is Rottweiler on their keyboard but a nodding dog at the AGM?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Now then Smiffy. I''m sure if someone was to get up and say the board and Alex Neil were doing a wonderful job they''d get disaproving looks, tut tuts with those of the oposite view making them feel intimidated and ridiculed. Whether that would be by the usual suspects or certain shareholders I''m not sure.

To be honest using these people as an excuse to become the silent majority is weak and pathetic. What would you call someone who is Rottweiler on their keyboard but a nodding dog at the AGM?[/quote]C''mon Nutty be honest.....have you ever been to a rowdy AGM or fans forum on club premises ?They just don''t happen

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]Now then Smiffy. I''m sure if someone was to get up and say the board and Alex Neil were doing a wonderful job they''d get disaproving looks, tut tuts with those of the oposite view making them feel intimidated and ridiculed. Whether that would be by the usual suspects or certain shareholders I''m not sure.

To be honest using these people as an excuse to become the silent majority is weak and pathetic. What would you call someone who is Rottweiler on their keyboard but a nodding dog at the AGM?[/quote]C''mon Nutty be honest.....have you ever been to a rowdy AGM or fans forum on club premises ?They just don''t happen[/quote]

Some people have short memories.

There was an extremely rowdy end of season forum at Carrow Road following relegation to League 1.

That was the one where Munby and Doomcaster had to face the music whilst Delia and Wynnie were in hiding at a hotel in London.

[quote user="Big Vince"]

Some people have short memories.

There was an extremely rowdy end of season forum at Carrow Road following relegation to League 1.

That was the one where Munby and Doomcaster had to face the music whilst Delia and Wynnie were in hiding at a hotel in London.[/quote]Yes, I was there and it did get a little tasty though '' extremely rowdy '' is perhaps over egging the pudding.Not that strange how those little skirmishes co-incided with Delia being absent though. Munby and Doncaster never generated the same affection with the Deliarites.

Well which meeting bore fruit? The over egged rowdy one? Tillys shindig at the Andrews? Or Delias in the hotel room?

I''m going down ''spoons Wednesday afternoon. I''m gonna get all lagered up ready to get rowdy at the AGM. I think I''ll at the back near the bar and jump up and down throwing beer about....

If someone is prepared to weather the boos and hisses, I have a question for the AGM....Why has a manager who has lost 28 of his last 55 league games not been sacked?

I''m going to be wearing my Donald Trump hairdo and ask the BOD to appoint Nigel Farage as Ambassador to the club to liaison with Young Tom as to the future way the club is heading

''Serfs ye are and serfs ye shall remain.'' Richard II 1381.

Know your places; knuckle those foreheads and tug those forlocks.

Our minor shareholders are revolting!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I''m sure the revolting ones will all be there sitting on their hands to avoid having a tug...[/quote]Not in front of Delia I hope.[:$]

Just love the front row shareholders who are probably pitching their tents right now outside CR getting ready to blow kisses to Ed and his cronies.

Selfies with Ed, Delia and anyone who is anyone

[quote user="nutty nigel"]That''s a forelock conclusion Rickyyyyyy...[/quote]You had me worried for a moment.