Sign in to follow this  
Craig Brown

DRURY IS NORWICHS WEAK LINK

I can''t help but noticing that throughout this season, that Adam Drury and Simon Charlton have been poor. Listerning to Norwich''s recent games i have heard and seen alot of long balls to Ashton from the left (ADAM DRURY THAT IS). Norwich City play far better by getting the ball into Safri and Hughes than right up top. This was proved against Brighton that''s why we beat the hell out of them because we played proper decent football. I say drop Drury and replace with Brennan at left back. Brennan is a far better player than Drury. It is down the wings and in the full back positions where theres concern. I believe that when Louis Jean returns he should go back into the team and also i would have Brennan at Left back.

WE AS FANS SHOULD RECOGNISE THIS
WORTHINGTON TAKE NOTE !!!!!!!

I think with all due respect the sun hasn''t shone for a long time from where you are talking from,the only weak link I can find is between your hand and the keyboard....do you actually attend carrow rd.

Utter drivel

I think Drury is one of, if not the best left back in the Champsionship - sorry in advance for not being negative.

Your avin a laugh, Drury is one of our most consistant performers . I guess you are one of these people who only see what you want to and not the whole picture , by not getting help from huckerby tracking back he has to do a lot of defending by himself .so get off his back he doesnt deserve critism unlike some players OTBC

[quote]I can''t help but noticing that throughout this season, that Adam Drury and Simon Charlton have been poor. Listerning to Norwich''s recent games i have heard and seen alot of long balls to Ashton from t...[/quote]

I beg to offer a alternative view.

On the comparative merits of Drury v Brennan we have to go back to the middle of the prem season when charlie and drury were out injured/suspended.  Brennan stood in for a couple of games and was noticably worse in his performance than Drury or charlie.   This was at a time when drurys confidence was low having been dropped for worthys failure to offer him any support by insisting on playing Hux in front of him.   Charlie and subsequently Brennan showed that while Drury was not playing well it was a level above what either of the latter could offer.

Since then Drury has returned to form.  His defending in the latter part of the prem season was as good as we have seen from a left back since Bowen and that form has continued this year.  He is starting to get forward again more effectively but his passing does remain as it has always been - hit and miss.  As long as he defends soundly thats enough for me.

IMO the weak link is not the defence (colin is probably the weakest part of that but he is currently getting better game by game now the finger pointer supreme is on the bench :hehe but the midfield where we need two new faces and soon.

OTBC 

erm..... i dont have a clue where this is coming from, but from the games ive seen, and especially the last home game Drury has been superb. Nothing got past him, he linked up well with Huckerby and was good going foward. He also put in some good crosses and had two very close shots.

Drury isnt a weak link, infact he is a great asset going foward, easliy one of, if not the best left-back in the championship.

...what a load of tosh...an clearly spoken from the comfort of an armchair...

...if anything defensively Drury has looked better than 2 years ago (maybe experience + competition + lack of captaincy) far less crosses are coming in down that flank, and actually his solidity has played a big part in freeing up Hucks to unleash. Also compared with Colin he''s far more likely to be found in the opposition defensive third...okay crossing not always the best but always available to give Hucks an option...

...we seem to have stopped going route one as much since Flem got dropped

Oh dear.  We have another binner on the board!  I say this because Craig can''t have seen many Norwich games.  Except in the brief period when Drury was captain, he has been awesome throughout his Norwich career.  I thoroughly believe he is the best left back in the division and I''m sure could walk into a fair few Premiership starting line ups.

Adam definitely aint the weak link

Hmmm, with my conspiracy theory hat on:

We know that players read the message boards. What if the players decided to have some mischief, or a player fancied having his ego massaged. Simple. Come on here and post how rubbish that player has been all season. Sit back and watch the compliments pour in. If you were Adam Drury, the above would make great reading. Maybe "Craig Brown" IS Adam Drury, or one of the other players. He he.

The Pink Un would also then report it in the paper (cos they look here for stories, or evidence to back up stories as we have seen in the past).

Conspiracy hat off.

the last match i saw was stoke so i dont really know much about his recent performances. But at Stoke i felt that nobody was actually tackling the right winger/right forward.

Brennan and Drury are different. Brennan may be a lot better attacking but Drury is a VERY good defender as he has proved. Maybe he has not been as good in the last couple of seasons, but as a defender he is better. And if he is playing too many long balls they Worthy can tell him not too

drury a weak link?, surely not, granted not at his best but most of the side are blowing hot and cold of late. and as for Louis-Jean didnt he cost us 2 goals in those first 3 home games which ultimately cost us points, and to be honest Jurgen Colin is highly talented both defensivily and on the attacking front from that position, boundless energy aswell. Colin and Drury to stay in for me.

[quote]the last match i saw was stoke so i dont really know much about his recent performances. But at Stoke i felt that nobody was actually tackling the right winger/right forward. Brennan and Drury are di...[/quote]

Drury is one of our strongest players, full stop.

However, do you really think Brennan is better attacking wise. As a winger in our 4-4-2 formation I have never seen a player turn and pass the ball backwards sp frequently. I think he is afraid of crossing the ball. Drury however, particularly recently has been getting forward well, overlapping and getting involved, as well as continuing to defend excellently. Brennan is a defender, and IMO should be sold, not good enough.

OTBC

Well excuse me i am a bloody season ticket holder. I am not lying i sit in the Norwich and Peterborough stand top tier, section Q. So i know i''ve been watching him throughout the season now he hasn''t been really bad, but he hasn''t been that great. His passing has been poor of late in the Brighton game he played to many long diagonal balls up to the strikers now answer this question why play long ball when Lisbie and McVeigh were playing upfront for Norwich ?  It didn''t suit us without Ashton thats how Brighton were getting the ball back. Why not go for the simple pass to Hucks. Every time there''s a long ball we get court offside. Brennan keeps things neat and tidy and he holds the teams shape which is why i think he''d be better at gelling with our defence. I don''t see why Jim Brennan can''t play at left back when does he do a brilliant job for Canada. . Jim Brennan has proven this season that he deserves his chance so for me hes done enough to warrant a place in the side. Drury has been average no better.

[quote]Hmmm, with my conspiracy theory hat on: We know that players read the message boards. What if the players decided to have some mischief, or a player fancied having his ego massaged. Simple. Come on h...[/quote]

I''d like to point out how rubbish I er no Darren Huckerby is, I no he is not very good at all

Craig,

I can see up to a point where you''re coming from defensively, because Adam has developed a worrying habit of waiting for the ball to reach his opponent before he closes him down. Fair enough, don''t dive in, but he stands off 10 to 15 metres sometimes, which gives the winger time to have two or three touches and look up. Why he''s started doing this (from when he came back into the team after Xmas) is beyond me.

On the plus side, he''s started to look like his old self going forward, and has got into the opposition penalty area more in the last two or three games than in the whole of last season!

To be honest, our goals against this season haven''t stemmed much from play down that side; I think that we''ve got more pressing problems to address in other parts of the pitch (a play-making partner for Saffs, for one thing!).

I think at this level Drury is very strong. Last year he was exposed for not being strong enough / game was played to quick for him. Given that he has little support down the left, its not too surprising goals are conceded from Drurys side

[quote]Well excuse me i am a bloody season ticket holder. I am not lying i sit in the Norwich and Peterborough stand top tier, section Q. So i know i''ve been watching him throughout the season now he hasn''t ...[/quote]

I have to agree with you craig - questioning your loyalty is another example of poster abuse on this forum.  Anyone recalling your previous posts will know that you are the same as the 99% of loyal city fans that populate this forum.  This is post is yet another example of the decline in standards and respect gazzathegreat posted about recently. 

Personally I disagree with your assessment but you have had the decency to explain your view point and who is to say whether you or I are right?  Both are valid stand points but we just differ in our conclusion.    Neither is wrong and neither deserve this abuse. 

Carry on posting Craig - I enjoy your post and will continue to read them.

OTBC

KICK POSTING ABUSE OUT

If you said in "dribbling section" Drury is our weakest link, I think not many people would disagree with that, but if you said Drury is Norwich weakest link, then everybody must disagree with that!

Ok Drury is not good of doing step-overs to dribble pass defenders when we attack, but other than that: his passing, his crossing and most important, 1 on 1 man marking, surely the best in the league! I do not have any complaint about he hit long balls to Ashton, because when he was under pressure, play long is always safe than play to the center halves or the midfielder; also there are not many right wingers nowadays can beat Drury on the onside and make a good cross, even Damien Duff, SWP and C. Ronaldo, three best right wingers last season in the Premiership, cannot. Also when Drury overlapping, it helps Hucks a lot to pull the defenders wider and Hucks can have freedom to go inside more.

claiming Drury was the weakest link, is why you have got a lot of stick craig not because where you sit or how old you are or arn,t OTBC

as Barry Fry daid when we sihned him "Norwich have the best left back outside the Premiership" and in my view he''s probably right

Looking at Adam Drurys ratings over the last three matches from the EDP ratings this proves that what i stated in my message was true, i refuse to accept that Drury is one of the best Left Backs in the Championship as his ratings suggest otherwise. 2 Years ago that may of been true but Drurys performances in the Premiership were poor for the majority of the season, Simon Charlton was far more consistent and solid over the course over the season than Drury. Drury had 1 or 2 good performances and then got back in the team which is totally unfair on Charlton.

Adam Drury in my opinion is not the same player as 2 years ago and has continually got worse. Drury though may be better should Norwich City get promotion for the Premiership if he learns from his previous experience. 

So back to the EDP ratings the highest rating is obivously 1st and the lowest 18th. Adam Drurys is 10th so that proves that he has been average nothing else. So for all you people who say Drury is great are wrong he''s been AVERAGE. Okay so his defensive game is fairly solid, but still as a Full Back you must be reasonable at passing that is essential for a Full Back, and Adam Drury so far this season has been poor at that. Which is why i would try Brennan to offer more support & better link up play. Brennan can be just as good as Drury defensively if he gets games at Left Back which Worthington has failed to play him in his natural position since he first came to the club. After all he did it with Nottingham Forrest.  

[quote]Looking at Adam Drurys ratings over the last three matches from the EDP ratings this proves that what i stated in my message was true, i refuse to accept that Drury is one of the best Left Backs in th...[/quote]

I would far rather base my opinion on what I have seen, than some rating that is someone else''s opinion or based on their chosen criteria. 

Or we could always award the title to the team with the highest rating?

I also think its far harder for a full back to get a top rating than any player down the spine of the team or those that regularly score goals, think back to some of our great fullbacks of the past Culverhouse etc, they are very often unsung heroes...again i come back to the fact that a lot of your argument seems to be based on the fact that Brennan is excellent for canada...a team that finished bottom of its world cup qualifying group below Costa Rica, Honduras and guatemala and conceded twice as many goals as they scored.

[quote]Looking at Adam Drurys ratings over the last three matches from the EDP ratings this proves that what i stated in my message was true, i refuse to accept that Drury is one of the best Left Backs in th...[/quote]

On my message posted before, I said that if you look at Drury''s "on the ball" rating, surely everybody will agree he''s definitely not up to Jimbo and Charlie, but what I always looking at is what you need most from a full-back? It was how to stop their right wing to beat you and mark crosses on the outside, which Adam had did excellently season after season.

I agree Adam may not the best player in this club, but look at this topic, "Drury is Norwich''s weak link", surely not!!! Without Adam''s overlapping run, I cannot believe Darren Huckerby can come inside to shoot quite easily!!!