Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Wales fined because their fans wore poppies

Sky are reporting it as a fine, also stating that they will get a separate fine because there was a soldier with a wreath of poppies at the side of the pitch when the players came out

I think England, Jockland, Wales and the Irish should pull out of the World Cup and Euros and go back to playing the Home internationals at the end of every season. FIFA are a joke.

Perhaps the players should have worn Burka''s and Turbans

No wonder Farage has become so in demand

That''s wonderful, the gutless Welsh FA, decided not to let the players wear poppy armbands and still they get fined. Maybe somebody needs to explain to the Swiss what a war hero is!

just to get the real question at the core of this issue - what constituents a political or religious message?

how would you classify wearing poppies?

the basis of the FIFA rules are to keep politics and government interference out of football...

PS. personally i don''t think wearing poppies is really a religious nor political message, but its kinda borderline..

It is about remembrance of war dead. Of no political persuasion or religious following.And we have been doing this for a while now, why are FIFA suddenly concerned?

Certainly involves remembering people that gave their lives so that we could be free, something that the Swiss certainly aren''t able to participate in

It''s utter stupidity on behalf of FIFA, it should be noted that all religions and races fought on the battlefields, it''s remembering those who gave their lives.

I include all nations in my remembrance for all soldiers who have laid their lives for those they believed in.

Stick it to them as far as I''m concerned, carry on wearing them with pride.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Sky are reporting it as a fine, also stating that they will get a separate fine because there was a soldier with a wreath of poppies at the side of the pitch when the players came out[/quote]

Definitely an investigation, at present no fines.

The Welsh fined for wearing poppies?  Ridiculous.  Now if they''d been fined for having road signs in two different languages, making it doubly difficult to read them, I''d understand that.  Or speaking English the whole time and then changing to speak Welsh when an English person comes into the room, I''d understand that too.  Or for having Bob Bryden as a celebrity.  Or putting "isn''t it?" after every sentence.  Or for making it free to enter Wales and having to pay to get out. Or for having an annoying accent.  Any of those, but for poppies, no.  

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Sky are reporting it as a fine, also stating that they will get a separate fine because there was a soldier with a wreath of poppies at the side of the pitch when the players came out[/quote]It''s sky !I would check with a teliable source first

ps the rules were laid down well before this gameif you don''t like them then leave FIFA

A brief message to those who act to prevent the wearing of poppies.

The first artificial poppies were sold to raise funding to benefit those directly affected by conflict. The first sale of such happened in 1921.

The poppy was officially adopted as the symbol of the heroic war dead in 1928, the tenth anniversary of the cessation of hostilities, the official explaination of the symbolism of the poppy was "The poppy shall be the coinage of remembrance. a currency which crosses all borders".

It was adopted as the official symbol of the Royal British Legion, formerly the Warriors Guild, to signify remembrance & sacrifice.

The first artificial poppies were made by French women, in the Somme region of France, with the proceeds from the sale intended to benefit of children living in the war ravaged areas affected by conflict.

Therefore, organisations have had almost 100 years to understand, assimilate & support the display of the poppy as a simple act of remembrance.

International teams are permitted to wear commercial advertising on their kit, if only as a manufacturers symbol, however FIFA feel the necessity to fine individuals wearing the poppy.

FIFA hardly has a clean record as far as besmirching the good name of sport, given the recent scandals concerning bribery, corruption & draconian behaviour.

Hard though it may be for FIFA to accept the simple display of a non religious, non denominational, non political symbol, worn simply to show respect, remembrance, & appreciation, may I suggest that they adopt a more appreciative viewpoint, as, without the sacrifice of millions during conflict, they wouldn''t be permitted to hold office & act in such a manner.

Shame on you FIFA, you are truly an absolute disgrace.

My support shall stay with the poppy wearers.

Cymru am byth

[quote user="daly"]Perhaps the players should have worn Burka''s and Turbans

No wonder Farage has become so in demand[/quote]

Only by idiots

Political and Personal messages are banned by Fifa, the FA were at the forefront of that rule.

War is politics and glorifying the war dead is a personal matter. You may not like it, but would you feel the same if Serbia were wearing emblems to honour the Serbian dead in the 90s civil war?

You nationalists are obsessed with finding any opportunity to be offended.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]So when Israel were kicked out of the AFC for political reasons,  FIFA then kicked the AFC out of FIFA?[/quote]

What''s that got to do with political or personal messages on the field of play?

[quote user="Jerzy Krukowski"][quote user="daly"]Perhaps the players should have worn Burka''s and Turbans

No wonder Farage has become so in demand[/quote]

Only by idiots

Political and Personal messages are banned by Fifa, the FA were at the forefront of that rule.

N0b

War is politics and glorifying the war dead is a personal matter. You may not like it, but would you feel the same if Serbia were wearing emblems to honour the Serbian dead in the 90s civil war?

You nationalists are obsessed with finding any opportunity to be offended.[/quote]

[quote user="Alfie54"]That''s wonderful, the gutless Welsh FA, decided not to let the players wear poppy armbands and still they get fined. Maybe somebody needs to explain to the Swiss what a war hero is![/quote]what part of this are you unable to grasp ?[quote user="TCCANARY"]Just to clarify, it''s part of an investigation, no-one has been fined.[/quote]why don''t some of you bigots actually check before posting up your nonsense ?