Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Back where we started

It feels like the Doomcaster days all over again. We had two brilliant opportunities to kick on as a club and totally failed to grasp them. It is beyond belief that we spent nothing last season on being promoted and went down with a rookie manager and no real fight. Even though fans could see we needed a new striker and total overhaul of the defence from miles away.

Then we lost Bowkett and McNally and bring in Nepheew Tom as Ed Balls- and ever since then you can feel the decline almost tangibly. A fish rots from the head and I believe it is the board that is holding the club back via an old guard who want to build a on a local model suited to the 90s not a global one suited roc the present day.

Honestly it is hard to see where we go? We don''t just need a new manager- we need to shift a load of past it players who believe they are better than they are. An attack of Jerome + 2 also rams =mid table at best. The defence may not even be that standard. And as for the midfield-over stuffed with hit and miss players- with no clear plan on how to best use them.

Best prepare for a few seasons of champ medicotry and a diminishing standard of players in the Hughes, Fatty Pattison mould. Because this board have ejected the ambitious aand failed to back the team when it matters. Rant over

" bring in Nepheew Tom as Ed Balls"?

Are you saying Ed Balls is not the real Ed Balls but being impersonated by nephew Tom? So who is dancing on the telly, Ed or Tom? Should we contact the BBC?

Sadly I agree and said so at the time - the loss of Bowkett and McNally was a big blow and what has happened since is baffling. DS''s ''there there talk to AN post this afternoon''s improvement (sad how low our expectations have fallen) pretty much sums up the total lack of ambition and drive at this Club. V depressing to fall out of love with your lifelong Club but it does feel as though we have been cheated on by this crowd who are totally and utterly out of touch.

I actually thought it would be just like our lovable inconsistent Norwich to go and win today but sadly they couldn''t manage it. Bad vibes I am afraid.

They''ve already said we will have a hole to plug financially for next year. Will have to be sales.

Good.

Get rid of these players who don''t wanna be here. Get rid of the deadwood.

Let''s build again, Matthews, Pinto, Toffolo, Thompson, Howson, Murphys, Canos, Pritchard, Maddison, Morris is a good nucleus to a young squad.

Ruddy, Bassong, Whittaker, Turner, Bennett, Mulumbu, Lafferty all outta contract this summer. Goodbye.

Thanks for what you have done Wes and you are a legend but let''s work on Pritchard & Maddison for No.10.

Right. So now we have resigned ourselves too no promotion. This is exactly what Delia et al have been aiming for. AN a young Scottish manager who then uses youth to attain success in the long term.

Yes we have a good u23 / youth set up. Just accept we are going to have to struggle for a season or two until they all step up.

Must admit, the likes of Josh, Jacob, Morris, Canos, Maddison, Pritchard etc excites me but hold on.......... still no defenders...... oh dear

Spot on. The owners are the problem but for some reason they are untouchable.

By my calculation we have spent the best part of £25 million on players who didn''t even start today. Therein lies the biggest problem. Even if we change manager that problem will still exist. Recruitment has been utterly appalling since Lambert left.

How many of Lamberts permanet buys didn''t work out/or contribute alot. He made 22 permanent buys in 2 and half seasons and probably the only ones who come into that category are Anthony McNamee, James Vaughan, Daniel Ayala & Steven Smith. 2 of those were just very unlucky with injuries.

I know it''s a completely different era than now as we had debts still to be repaid so the type of player we were in for was different. But just look at the players he signed in that summer of when we got promoted to the prem Morison, Pilkington, Bennett, Johnson. Players who had something to prove who had been let go from bigger clubs as youngsters, who had to come back via non league etc. Even in the championship he did exactly the same with Fox, Crofts, Jackson, Tierney etc.

Players with hunger and something to prove, give me those ahead of Jarvis, Mulumbu, Naismith any day of the week. That squad got us a 12th place finish in the prem.

Look at the recruitment at somewhere like Brentford signing players like Odubajo (Dagenham), Andre Gray (Luton) Tarkowski (Oldham) who were all bought from lower league sides and sold on for huge profits and now playing premier league football. Look at the players they have now like Bentley (Southend), Henry (Walsall), & Hogan (Rochdale) who will also all be sold on for big profits at some point.

Unfortunately they aren''t big enough to keep hold of these players but still get big money for them. Would love to see us go back to the younger, British, lower league gems like these.

Matthews, Pinto, Toffolo, Thompson, Howson, Murphys, Canos, Pritchard, Maddison, Morris

we could build a squad around these but good young players are worth money

so they will sold turner martin whitts will be given new contracts by delia

So you think Delia chooses which players are kept on and she will give a new contract to Turner. Obviously you''re another in the know poster so I''ll watch events with interest...''

[quote user="nutty nigel"]So you think Delia chooses which players are kept on and she will give a new contract to Turner. Obviously you''re another in the know poster so I''ll watch events with interest...''[/quote]Come off it Nutty you know full well that your mate has been put in charge of those matters. [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Put in charge?

What was he doing before?[/quote]That has been a mystery for some considerable time.

Form really is woeful. When did we last lost 6 on the voice?

Carry on like this and we will soon be discussing the prospect of relegation. I think a loss next week and the axe will fall- but will it bring joy?

So why did Bowkett and McNally continue to propel him upwards? Seems they thought a lot more of him then the previous incumbents...

Mysteries were usually CID responsibilities...

what i said in my post was just how bad things could get with the good young players we have being sold not reality

but now you mention it Nutty its nice being in the know on many matters thanks :-)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]So why did Bowkett and McNally continue to propel him upwards? Seems they thought a lot more of him then the previous incumbents...

Mysteries were usually CID responsibilities...[/quote]Maybe the Colney bog cleaner is ITK so if he is in your National Guild of BCs he could tell you ?

I was a bog cleaner for nearly 25 years but I''m afraid I didn''t keep up with the guild after I was made redundant.

Do you still go to the odd policeman''s ball?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I was a bog cleaner for nearly 25 years but I''m afraid I didn''t keep up with the guild after I was made redundant.

Do you still go to the odd policeman''s ball?[/quote]It is just a few pints in a pub these days to talk about the good old days.