Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

FREE Top of the League at Portman Road car sticker

and remind mr chase what a naughty man he was buying that piece of land

and ask him as well where we were before he took over in 1985

Arrrghhh!!

Don''t get me started about Robert "Bob the Builder" Chase!

There''s two schools of thought about Big Bob.

1: His fantastic vision in buying an old flour mill 10 years ago has enabled the club to avoid administration a decade later.

or.......

2: His ridiculous decision to buy an old flour mill 10 years ago, instead of letting Martin O''Neill buy Dean Windass, led to the departure of the best manager in the country (in my humble opinion) from our club and condemned us to missing out on the BSkyB cash cow that has been the Premiership since we got relegated.

I sometimes wonder just what this club might have achieved in the last 10 years if Martin O''Neill had been allowed to take us straight back up as it was looking increasingly likely that he would. With all the Sky money to add to a team that already included Eadie, Sutton, Newsome, Ward, Gunn and Crook, I think it''s fair to say that we might have done rather well.

I think there are two schools of thought on Martin O''Neil, who had twice previously ''walked out'' on Norwich. Firstly to Manchester City following our relegation to division two and secondly a career move to Notts County !
The record books show we were in 7th position when he left, having been as low as 11/13th in recent times. Although much was made of the possible purchase of Dean Windass he never really set the world alight after he left Hull and in fact his scoring record in the Premiership was inferior to a certain Mr. Akinbiyi.
We will never know, although I accept O''Neil would have made a better job of things than Mike Walker the second.

andy

you and me both mate

the words ''if only'' come to mind

still, at least we have saved ourselves, or should i say, delia has saved us

thank god she took us in hand and we all got rid of that *******. I still have nightmares about him. Wonder what he would have made of the Huckerby drama!! Doesn''t it make you feel good that he''s gone?

The EEN is (generally) a newspaper reporting Norwich news, whereas the Pink Un is a dedicated newspaper aimed at NCFC fans. I think that the Top of The League stickers should be placed inside the Pink Un, so that genuine football fans can receive them.

If you could also include the following; dictionary, thesaurus, grammar & punctuation books, this would also benefit the contributors to this message board!

Well said Old Man Andy!

We''ve had too much recently about the shrewd purchase of "that" land. How much is the Premier League worth each year again? Windass may not have lived up to his reputation but lets not forget how he was a man in form back then. I think using the money a little differently would have changed this club''s fortunes infinitely.

A northern expression sums it up "Don''t spoil the ship for sake of a happorth of tar"

Guest CFrost
Yeah seeing as I live in North Suffolk (ish) I dont get the Eveing News either, but I do get the EDP and Pink''Un.
Putting it in either the EDP in which everyone would have or The Pink''Un would be great.

Good riddance to the poisoned dwarf O''Neill who was far far from the innocent party. His behaviour leading up to and over the weekend of his departure was nothing but an absolute bloody disgrace !

Was this the same O''Neill who swapped Mike Sheron for one of his exWycombe mates the donkey Keith Scott ?

Windass was a smoke screen to cover his move to Leicester - who ironically were just as happily dumped on by this supposed super hero as we were.

Sadly many football fans still want the theatre of the game to be extended to the off field activities with all the required pantomime charactors.

Goodies and baddies. Wicked uncles to blame and the eternal dream of what might have been. Unfortunately this deliusion usual requires a few things to be overlooked ie in this case the financial state of the club in 1985.

So Master Green we meet again!
This I assume is the same Mr O''Neill who ruined Leicester and is in the process of ruining Celtic.
I think an independent enquiry within the corridors of the mighty Carrow Road might reveal you are very much in the minority with regards to Mr Chase.
Put in simplistic terms, I have always thought that Mr Chase''s Chairmanship ran a similar course to Margaret Thatchers Premiership. Great start but got power crazy.
I don''t seem to agree with many of your postings Master Green but I do enjoy reading them.
OTBC

Master Green, I warned you not to get me started about Chairman Chase. I can feel the red mist descending as I type! ;)

Are you suggesting that Chase was in some way a financial "saviour" of this club in 1985? Correct me if I''m wrong, but I don''t believe he spent much more than what would have been pocket money to him to aquire his majority shareholding in the eighties. And I can''t remember him ever putting any of his money into the club afterwards.

I honestly believe that Robert Chase believed he was doing a good job. That''s the biggest irony of all. Robert Chase left this club in such an extraordinarily awful mess, that we are only now many years later beginning to recover from his legacy.

P.S.

I''m intrigued by your comments about the events of the weekend of Martin O''Neill''s departure. I remember it well, it was a dramatic and pivotal moment in the history of this club. Would you care to elaborate? I''ve only heard one side of the story.

My recollections of the Chase "era" were that the man did perform some clever business practices but he NEVER put his own money in to any degree. He used business funds (his "development company")to invest in the club and made sure that he would be able to get the money out again through clever contractual and loan agreements. He also took a very high salary! Remember it took a long time to unravel the "business" side of what he had done.

This was the reason that money was spent on land and not players as you can always get your money back from the land.

Contrast this to Delia''s endless pouring of money in beyond what could ever be recovered if(God forbid) the club folded and taking nothing out.

O''Neill asked for no more than Worthy did at Christmas (less I would suggest) and had reached the same point in his career. If the Board had said no to Worthy the result would probably have been the same (only Worthy''s a protestant so he''d have ended up at Rangers!!)

Chase and lets not forget his cohorts (Jimmy Jones et al) saw the club as an investment - to some of us its a wayof life and in the word of Shanks others believe it s even more important than that!

Details now! The Evening News says:

---

HERE’S your chance to show your support for Norwich City’s vital push for promotion to the Premier League.

To celebrate the Canaries’ high-flying first half of the season the Evening News is giving away 10,000 car stickers with Monday’s Evening News (January 19, 2004) to help all Norfolk get behind the team.

And what better way to convey the message than to reproduce the chant which rang out from City fans as the team shot to the top of the first division deep in enemy territory at Portman Road?

Claiming your free sticker is easy. Simply go into any of the Evening News outlets listed below, buy a copy of the Evening News and ask for your free Top of the League at Portman Road car sticker. The stickers are strictly a limited edition and this promotion is based on a first-come, first-served basis, while stocks last.

If you have the Evening News delivered to your home, or are a fan who can’t get to one of the outlets listed below, simply call into our offices in Rouen Road, Norwich, with Monday’s (January 19, 2004) copy of the Evening News and you will be able to claim one – subject to availability, again on a first-come, first-served basis.

Where to claim your sticker on Monday:

Norwich:
WH Smith, Railway Station
Morrison, Riverside
Morrison Garage, Riverside
Sainsbury’s Queens Road & garage
Q8 garage, Martineau Lane
Q8 garage, Hall Road
Ideal Shop, Heigham Street
Taylor’s News, Dereham Road
Martins, Anglia Square
Hannant’s, Magdalen Street
Howells Newsagent, Magdalen Road
Sainsbury’s Longwater & garage
Mitchells News, Clover Hill, Bowthorpe
Ideal Shop, Gurney Road, Costessey
Bridges, West Earlham
Spar, Middletons Lane, Hellesdon
Spar, Old Catton
Asda, Drayton High Road
Sainsbury’s Pound Lane & garage
Ideal Shop, Witard Road, Heartsease
Fish''s News, Plumstead Road

... and beyond:
Total Garage, Drayton
One Stop, Thorpe Marriott
One Stop, Hethersett
Dillons, Aylsham
Q8 garage, Acle
One Stop, Framlingham Earl
Sainsbury’s service station, North Walsham
Sainsbury’s, St Nicholas Road, Great Yarmouth
Asda, Great Yarmouth.

---

Guest CFrost
Yeah how do people get on if they dont live in or around Norwich/ one of the outlets you have said. I live in Suffolk (near Eye) so I doubt theres any chance of me getitng one when I''d really like one. I subscribe to the Pink Un though. I dont live near any of the oulets and I cant come up to Norwich on Monday. Chances are they will all be gone by Monday even if I could get up there. :oS Any suggestions?

I sent an email to the Evening News marketing manager earlier today with some suggestions - I''m hoping we can get a small batch for people who send a SAE to us. I don''t expect to hear anything until Monday, so don''t lick those stamps yet.

A SAE idea would be good to cover the folks, such as myself, who live miles away (Manchester) Selfish I know to be thinking of just myself but the sticker would look mint somewhere wehere my Uni mates can see it, especially as I''m sure there are some peeps from Ips**t at my Uni...

Looking forward to finding out whats happening...

Still the old question goes unanswered.

Exactly what was the position of the club when Chase took over in 1985 ?

Perhaps the answer is a little toio uncomfortable for those who don''t want their football to be one of reality, more one of '' fairy godmothers and boo hiss baddies "

For the record. Very, very, very few people put money into a club unsecured.

Check the supposed Chelsea hero Harding who was bleeding the club dry in loans yet was regarded by the simple masses as a some kind of benevolent saviour.

It is ironic that the supposed villian of the peace should leave us assets enough to allow future loans to be secured against.

When someone can start to clear the waters by stating the exact position of the club when Chase took over then I will happily move on to the poisioned dwarf and other matters.

Come on Vince sort this out. We want stickers out in the county, not just in the City. I would estimate that 40% of Canaries supporters live outside the City boundary, and do not buy the EEN. PUT THEM IN THIS WEEKENDS PINK UN.