Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Losing runs

Teams get them from time to time and five in a row is not worst by a long shot.  Ok, six if you count the cup,  but nearly always, teams turn it round without a change of manager.  So, does anyone know what our worst losing runs have been in the past and whether the manager concerned stayed on and turned it round? 

20 years !how sillyare are you telling us the stuff under Peter Grant was better  ?

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]Read the other threads ( you probably started them as well) best part of 20 years since we were this bad . You really are a plastic Lake Dickstic[/quote]I''ve looked through some threads, but have no intention of reading through all the reams of  turgid nonsense of people''s prejudices about owners and all.  If anyone could just put some facts down on the subject of losing runs without any of the other cr*p attached,  I would be grateful - and others might be too.

Genuine question for those that know as im not sure myself. Did we lose 6 in a row under grant? Roeder? I feel we must have done but with much, much worse squads.

We have a squad that should not be losing 6 in a row, if we stick with AN we may lose many more and end up in league 1 but as LDC never goes to games none of that matters to him

[quote user="city4eva"]We have a squad that should not be losing 6 in a row, if we stick with AN we may lose many more and end up in league 1 but as LDC never goes to games none of that matters to him[/quote]Just answer the question please, or stfu.

Lakey you need to respect people''s opinions.

We are all City fans, and that''s what matters.

Well Ricardo, that kind of lends itself to the fact AN is , unfortunately, performing terribly.

Without looking up the details I would think that the ''57 event was part of the 26 game run without a win that saw the demise of Tom Parker.The 1981 event was during Ken Browns tenure so he obviously survived that.The 1995 event was somewhere during the Deehan, O''Neil, Megson era so probably saw a change of manager.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Why LDC can''t be bothered to look this up for himself is beyond me - too busy no doubt dreaming up his next meaningless topichttp://www.statto.com/football/teams/norwich-city/records[/quote]It''s not about stats, its about numbers of losses and the consequences of them. And it''s far from a meaningless topic.

I love the sadistic responses of many on here to what is a plausible question.

The fact is this is one of the strongest squads we''ve had throughout the years, and it''s been some 20 years since we got close to a bad run such as this.

Those stats from Ricardo show just how under performing he is. At this level it''s practically impossible to go this long without picking up a point, especially with the resources at his disposal. It''s time to stop sugar coating this as a bad run and accept that things are clearly not right

[quote user="JF"]Those stats from Ricardo show just how under performing he is. At this level it''s practically impossible to go this long without picking up a point, especially with the resources at his disposal. It''s time to stop sugar coating this as a bad run and accept that things are clearly not right[/quote]I have made this point elsewhere, but will make it again.Who exactly is saying that theres nothing wrong?

I agree it was a reasonable question I am not sure about the strongest squad though. There are a lot of good individuals but they do not resemble a team with characters confidence and fight. There is a lot to build on but many gaps too and a stench of lack of confidence which takes some turning around

[quote user="Samwam27"]The fact is this is one of the strongest squads we''ve had throughout the years, and it''s been some 20 years since we got close to a bad run such as this.[/quote]It really isn''t.Look at last season for starters, We lost 5 on the bounce starting at Stoke away, then scraped a draw at West Ham, followed by a further 3 defeats, so 7 in 8 lost with a draw inbetween - and that was under Alex Neil as well, and part of the reason we were relegated (no chance that team should have gone down IMHO).There was also the period from Leicester at home to Chelsea away where we lost 5 out of 6 (with another scrappy 1-0 win against Swansea inbetween).Alex Neil has now shown on numerous occasions that he''s more than capable of taking this squad on a long run of games without a result, and that''s just in the past 2 seasons FFS, how much longer is he going to keep making the same rookie mistakes and refusing to adapt his approach, rather than being totally stubborn and keeping us playing like carp - especially when we aren''t getting the results as well!The man needs to go now, nothing personal, but we need a change here because whatever motivation he was able to provide in getting us promoted, has long since gone and the players aren''t even going through the motions at times now!

So taking as a given that what ricardo posted regarding this being our worst run of defeats since 1995 it means AN has achieved what even Hamilton,Gunn,Grant,Roeder,Hughton and Adams couldn,t. All with arguably our most expensive and experienced squad of players !

Yorkshire,

I agree and disagree about strongest squad. We''ve had far, far better strikers, and we could argue far better defenses.

But on paper it''s far stronger than most teams at this level (bar Newcastle imo)

Trouble is it looks so unbalanced. We''ve got a poor defense (we knew that last season, it wasn''t rectifed) but we''ve got little to choose from (AN says Bassong wins 80%, it''s just a shame that 20% keeps conceding goals) and same goes up front. Doubt we''d have seen Laffs yesterday if it wasn''t for the barrage of questions about him at AGM. But neither Laffs, Jerome or magic boots seem to know where the back of the net is.

And we seem to try pigeon holing and accomodating all three of Wes, Naismith and Pritchard into same roles each game, without any width. And yet AN seems intent on trying to make this work each game.

We could do worse than to get Madds back, and play him with Thompson, and try Murphy and Canos to give us a more natural midfield. Then two up front from usual suspects of strikers, or Pritchard/Wes behind Jerome/Laffs/Olive branch would give us a more natural midfield

[quote user="TIL 1010"]So taking as a given that what ricardo posted regarding this being our worst run of defeats since 1995 it means AN has achieved what even Hamilton,Gunn,Grant,Roeder,Hughton and Adams couldn,t. All with arguably our most expensive and experienced squad of players ![/quote]

But also achieved the same as Ken Brown did too and he took us on to greater things.....

Losing 6 on the bounce is not acceptable, and could only possible be expected or excused for a team who have just fluked their way to promotion to the Championship from League One! How are people still making excuses for him and cases to stay in the job?! When we lost 7 in a row in 1995, it culminated in Deehan realising he was out of his depth and us getting relegated, and that was in the Prem. We should not be on losing streaks like this at this level.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]So taking as a given that what ricardo posted regarding this being our worst run of defeats since 1995 it means AN has achieved what even Hamilton,Gunn,Grant,Roeder,Hughton and Adams couldn,t. All with arguably our most expensive and experienced squad of players ![/quote]

But also achieved the same as Ken Brown did too and he took us on to greater things.....

[/quote]

Can I just point out in case those that cant see the wood for the tree''s have forgotten....

Ken Brown would have been limited to one change per game.....and would only have had one option on the bench to make the change from :)

This pillock has a bench of 7 to pick from and can make 3 changes per game .....he has or should have the ability to change a game at will

unfortunately in nearly 2 years I havent seem him utilize that option to any benefit !!

When Ken Brown was manager all the other managers only had one sub and now all the other managers have 7 too. Anyway, we had this same stuff wanting Brown out. Only difference was there was no internet so the pillocks all waved white handkerchiefs instead....

Worst run of defeats ever outside of the top division.

Delia is nearly as old as my mum - way too old to have the final say in something as important to so many fans. She said the club belongs to the fans - prove it and hand it over to someone who can get a decent senior management structure in place without the likes of Balls, Moxey, little Tommy, Alex Neil, Rickey Martin, Frankie five bellies etc.

It''s worrying is that a) even if AN equals the worst record, and then surpasses it it''s still likely the board won''t act!

but b) if he gets a win somwehere soon, despite being an AN fan to start with, I feel it''ll only be papering over the cracks!