Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Match report whilst fresh in mind!

The problem is though Hairy that is not what they do. They stick with their man until they feel that they can no longer get away with no making a decision, which leads to it becoming about "must win" games and whether the crowd will turn.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]Or perhaps see winning as a good thing, as opposed to "prolonging the agony"?

You do want your team to win Jim, don''t you?[/quote]

If I am honest Morty I am torn. When we play I cannot help but want us to win because I am a Norwich fan but I have no doubt at all that if we do manage a win it will be rammed down our throats by Neil and the board as proof that they were right to stick with him and long term it could prove counterproductive because it will buy him (and therefore waste for us) a few more games. As has been said elsewhere the decision over whether to keep a manager should not e based on results in one, two or even three games. It should come down to a judgment over whether he has done a good job over a prolonged period and is getting the best out of the players at his disposal. I therefore think what happens at Carrow Road on Saturday should be irrelevant.[/quote]Take all the stupid nonsense away from it, its about wanting to see your team win.It really is that simple.[/quote]

Its also about wanting to see your team succeed long term and its perfectly possible to take the view that something needs to happen to force the boards hand that will long term be in the interests of the club.

I really, really dislike our board for the way they regularly manage to turn the matter into a stand off and thus make the fans feel like this when it comes to decisions on sacking managers.[/quote]Jim you are a fan.Your job is to support your team. The sooner you stop worrying about things that are out of your control, the happier you''ll be.The board hasn''t turned anything into a stand off, its petulant, short termed, over entitled "fans" that have.You have no control over whether or not Norwich City keep a clean sheet, score goals, or do well in the future, all you can do is support.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The problem is though Hairy that is not what they do. They stick with their man until they feel that they can no longer get away with no making a decision, which leads to it becoming about "must win" games and whether the crowd will turn.[/quote]No Jim, that is a situation that is created in yours, and others heads.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Winning is all that matters in football and s0d the long term issue. If we win on Saturday, we might follow that with another, then another, then another and go on to win promotion, making a change of manager unnecessary.

Really, if there are people out there who want us to lose, then they have no right to call themselves "supporters". We had all this cr*p with Hughton. It makes no difference who is the manager when it comes to winning matches. We win and everybody wins. End of.[/quote]

So winning is al that matters but losing doesn''t matter? You have started numerous posts of late saying how we need to think long term and thus should ignore recent losses and stick with Neil. Your post above could not be more contradictory.

I''ve not been able to post over the weekend, so for what it''s worth my take on Saturday :

- I was (pleasantly) surprised how good the away support was.  Made more noise that the home fans until they scored.  But I noticed that "Alex Neil''s Green Army" which is normally a regular chant, was tried several times by a couple of sections of the fans, but never taken up by the away fans as a whole.  No-one calling for the manager to go though, that I heard.

- on the pitch, I have never seen a City team with so many talented individuals who looked so unsure of themselves when we were going forward.  For the first 30 mins, we played the ball around nicely in midfield but when we got into the final 3rd, we completely froze up.  And on several occasions the players were having a go at each other, which is never a good sign.  They put in a decent shift but IMO they are struggling to know what they are meant to be doing.

- Defensively Derby caused us few problems and had to rely on set pieces or a fortunate break of the ball for their chances.  However, we all know BJ has the ability to strike a solid shot from distance - we don''t have any players in the centre of midfield who can do that.

- Naismith had a decent overall performance but it was disappointing that our two best openings came to him - the pass across field from BJ which came straight to him but nothing came of it, and when he was through on the keeper but couldn''t score.  I still haven''t seen signs of him being a player of true Prem quality.  I remember an Everton fan coming on here when we signed him and saying he''d always been ineffective when put out on the left flank... problem is that he doesn''t contribute much more when played centrally whereas Wes does at least create something (and had a good shot that was just over the bar) so we certainly can''t afford to play him centrally.

- Jacob M struggled to get into the game at all, as did Lafferty when he came on, although he didn''t get much service.

- Overall Derby looked pretty mediocre.  People can call it a sense of entitlement if they want, but the fact is our 11 should have been able to beat that team comfortably on Saturday.

- for the penalty claim, all I saw was that the cross came over and Jerome appeared to be pushed by the defender, but I couldn''t honestly say I had a clear enough view of it to say the referee was wrong, although most of the 50/50 stuff went their way.

So no change to my view of things - I see no sign that the manager has any idea how to turn this around and I think he will go sooner or later, it''s just a case of whether it is left too late that the replacement has too much ground to make up to the automatic spots.  Which is already going to be tough.

Fair summary from Character Forming, the Jerome penalty claim look like an arm across the face, these are rarely given as pens. Agree Naismith had decent game, but has no legs, as seen when BJ sent that stray ball and he picked it up. 2 months ago we would have won comfortably, imo.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="lake district canary"]Winning is all that matters in football and s0d the long term issue. If we win on Saturday, we might follow that with another, then another, then another and go on to win promotion, making a change of manager unnecessary.

Really, if there are people out there who want us to lose, then they have no right to call themselves "supporters". We had all this cr*p with Hughton. It makes no difference who is the manager when it comes to winning matches. We win and everybody wins. End of.[/quote]

So winning is al that matters but losing doesn''t matter? You have started numerous posts of late saying how we need to think long term and thus should ignore recent losses and stick with Neil. Your post above could not be more contradictory.[/quote]
I''m glad you said it.
Look, I want us to win against Brentford because watching 5 losses in a row has been miserable enough!
Our board tend to be indecisive so I know what Jim is getting at - it normally gets to a point where the manager is getting abuse from all 4 stands of the ground before they make a decision. However, there''s nothing to say that''s less successful than sacking at the first sign of a boo. 

Lakey goes to about two games a season, unlike a lot us who to go to all home games and some away,therefore he will never get quite as frustrated at travelling hundreds of miles or losing a whole day only to see a Norwich team not performing as they can. Lakey can just turn his radio off and that''s it for the day. After a 16 hour day on Saturday I''ve taken the decision that I shan''t be going to any more games with AN as manager. He is simply not getting the best out of these players. We''ve gone 5 league games now without any signs of improvement and I don''t think he''s got it in him to turn it around. I''d been defending Neil to the hills until just recently, but now he''s completely lost me. His demeanour in interviews is of a man who doesn''t like to be crocuses and is running out of ideas. His attack on the local media merely a deflection of our awful form.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="lake district canary"]Winning is all that matters in football and s0d the long term issue. If we win on Saturday, we might follow that with another, then another, then another and go on to win promotion, making a change of manager unnecessary.

So winning is al that matters but losing doesn''t matter? You have started numerous posts of late saying how we need to think long term and thus should ignore recent losses and stick with Neil. Your post above could not be more contradictory.[/quote]
I''m glad you said it.
[/quote]

How ridiculous to draw that conclusion.  The team winning is all that matters and that is why every Norwich supporter from Timberland to Timbuctu should want that. The long term view is the same - wanting the team to do well. That you ignore losses is obvious - if you lose a game, that''s it - its gone - you can do nothing other than try and win the next one - and every supporter - whether you go to every single game of the season or none - should want the same.  Morty''s right about entitlement. The entitlement culture is a false one based on selfishness.  You pay your money to go to matches if you want to and that entitles you to nothing other than gettng into the ground to watch the match.  If you don''t like what you see when you get in there - don''t go.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="lake district canary"]Winning is all that matters in football and s0d the long term issue. If we win on Saturday, we might follow that with another, then another, then another and go on to win promotion, making a change of manager unnecessary.

I''m glad you said it.
[/quote]

How ridiculous to draw that conclusion.  The team winning is all that matters and that is why every Norwich supporter from Timberland to Timbuctu should want that. The long term view is the same - wanting the team to do well. That you ignore losses is obvious - if you lose a game, that''s it - its gone - you can do nothing other than try and win the next one - and every supporter - whether you go to every single game of the season or none - should want the same.  Morty''s right about entitlement. The entitlement culture is a false one based on selfishness.  You pay your money to go to matches if you want to and that entitles you to nothing other than gettng into the ground to watch the match.  If you don''t like what you see when you get in there - don''t go.

[/quote]

I just think there is a massive contradiction in your position. Ignoring defeats on the basis that we need to taken a long term view yet suddenly for Saturday the long term position goes out the window and a win is all that matters.

I don''t want us to lose but I do think that for the club''s longer term prospects and the greater good something needs to bring this situation to a head so a change is made and defeat on Saturday would be likely to do that so, if you like, that would be the silver lining if we do happen to lose. Consequently i will be less gutted by a loss than i would ordinarily. I hate the fact that I even have to think like that but every so often with their blind backing of managers for too long the club forces us fans down this road. I wish they didn''t.

I am very confident that I am not alone amongst our supporters feeling like this.

I don''t know where you got the idea that I have said a win on Saturday is all that matters.  What matters is that everything should be done to ensure the best conditions for a win - the manager, the players....and the fans.  In the words of Delia - we need a twelth man here,  where are you? 

Where are you?? You are in the Lake District so we can''t count on any support from you can we!

You really are a twunt.

If you had put up with the last two seasons of watching us play rather than comment from afar you would know what the majority mean!

[quote user="lake district canary"]I don''t know where you got the idea that I have said a win on Saturday is all that matters.  What matters is that everything should be done to ensure the best conditions for a win - the manager, the players....and the fans.  In the words of Delia - we need a twelth man here,  where are you? 

[/quote]

"Winning is all that matters in football and s0d the long term issue."

Jim, support your team on Saturday, and stop worrying about things you have no control over.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The problem is though Hairy that is not what they do. They stick with their man until they feel that they can no longer get away with no making a decision, which leads to it becoming about "must win" games and whether the crowd will turn.[/quote]
See this is just plain daft Jimbo. Sticking with their man is a decision just as much as sacking him would be. Everybody has their own ideas about whether they should sack or stick but it''s arrogance to suggest if they don''t agree with you it''s not a decision.