Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Lies, damn lies, stats and EDP player ratings.

While calum has had a big impact on our performances there is no way that he has been better than Safri since the watford game... even Doc has performed better overall since the partnership came together.

Safri is comfortably the POTS for me. 

OTBC

How can they be lies when they are no more than the accumulation of ''pundits'' opinions ? Lies if the EDP misrepresented those totals but merely reporting them, no.

People will see a game differently, as well we know on here.

Given the closeness of the totals I would suggest one mark in one game by one pundit would almost be enough to alter the averages.

Problem with most of these pretty meaningless statistics, like the chronically moronic optima stats is that they are trying to give a numerical value to something that is mostly non qualifyable by numbers .

Assuming POTS is "player of the season", isn''t that more than a little premature? It''s not even xmas yet!

However, I must agree that Safri has been excellent. Doc good also, but don''t forget that the presence of Callum has had more than a little influence on his resurgence.

It''s a tricky one.  Saf was been superb this month.  Really really good.  But since Dav has come in he has rejuvenated the team.  We are looking solid at the back.  Hell, he''s even got the Doc to perform!

Oh dear the intellectual subtleties seem to have gone over somebodies head!

I think you will find that the title of this thread is a comical twist on a famous quote rather than a literal description of lies and the EDP ratings.  However once again there are those amongst us who concentrate on pseudo-education rather than the spirit of the board!

Getting to the football content I think we will find that the illustrious journalists have been swayed by the overall improvement in the team and have given "reflected glory" marks to Davenport for being the change to the side.

Clearly on actual performances you would have to rate Safri and indeed Doherty higher over this period.

I do think that Doherty has had his marks brought down by earlier substitute appearances though.

[quote]Oh dear the intellectual subtleties seem to have gone over somebodies head! I think you will find that the title of this thread is a comical twist on a famous quote rather than a literal description ...[/quote]

Thanks for explaining :o) - especially as I suspect you saw the post that inspired my thoughts here - cheers RMC

OTBC 

"pseudo-education rather than the spirit of the board!"

oh dear, someone is taking it a little too seriously

It does seem to me that the EDP are a little bland in their markings, they''re all politely in the middle. If you''re going to give a mark at least be honest, if you think someone''s really poor on the day, say so. I believe the Evening News is a bit more adventurous - I recall after the Watford game they were rather more harsh regarding some of the performances. Do they have a league table? If so, how do they compare?