Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

Harry Kane 6 Year Deal...

Harry Kane has just landed a new 6 year deal worth £100,000 per week for him.

He''s come a long way since many Norwich fans slated him and deemed him useless.

It goes to show much fans really know...

[quote user="Lewis DW"]Harry Kane has just landed a new 6 year deal worth £100,000 per week for him.

He''s come a long way since many Norwich fans slated him and deemed him useless.

It goes to show much fans really know...[/quote]Based on what you saw when he played here, did you predict he would go on to where he is today?

But he was still quite poor for us...

I don''t think anyone would''ve predicted such a dramatic fruition from him, but it doesn''t change the fact that he didn''t contribute enough while he was here!

Did we slate him? I think most of us commented on what we saw which was he coming on against West Ham as sub, being through on goal , and hitting the keeper . After that he was pretty much injured from what I recall?

I think any ill feeling was aimed at the nature of him signing , a last minute (in fact from memory it was later than last minute - didn''t we have to get some kind of extension to sign him?) panic, where expectation was high , and Hughton took him on a the word of a pal at Spurs , and didn''t see him play.

Oddly I have followed his progress ever since, and am delighted for him. And in todays climate I''m a bit surprised it is only £100k (if that''s true).

Good luck to him.

As a fan, I''m aware that a player can be rubbish in one setting but a change of circumstances - a different club, a new manager, even a change to the playing formation or team members around him - can transform that player.  It doesn''t mean he wasn''t rubbish beforehand.

It shows how much football depends on a multitude of factors - not just how good the individual is as a technical footballer, but the mental side, how the team work together, combinations between different players around the pitch - these are all important (and this is where the crucial input from the manager comes in FWIW).

[quote user="GPB"]Did we slate him? I think most of us commented on what we saw which was he coming on against West Ham as sub, being through on goal , and hitting the keeper . After that he was pretty much injured from what I recall? I think any ill feeling was aimed at the nature of him signing , a last minute (in fact from memory it was later than last minute - didn''t we have to get some kind of extension to sign him?) panic, where expectation was high , and Hughton took him on a the word of a pal at Spurs , and didn''t see him play. Oddly I have followed his progress ever since, and am delighted for him. And in todays climate I''m a bit surprised it is only £100k (if that''s true). Good luck to him.[/quote]

I was at the West Ham game and when he came on, I thought he looked very tentative and totally lacking in confidence, as if he didn''t feel he was ready to be playing in the Premier League.  As a result his contribution was poor.  He didn''t get too many chances & didn''t do enough to justify a starting position, and then as you say he was injured.

With fans - and with managers ! - sometimes they take to a player and he can get away with some poor performances without getting criticised.  Other players the fans just dislike - or the manager is just not willing to play - and they''ll get slated no matter what.  But Kane was not one of those - he had a pretty fair reception.

There''s also the syndrome we''re all familiar with, that a player who isn''t starting for the team, or has left us, suddenly becomes transformed into a great player in the eyes of some fans.  It amused me when we played Derby recently that a lot of people on here have been singing Chris Martin''s praises while he''s been at Derby (even when we were in the Premiership).  I asked a Derby fan what had happened to him and it turns out they''ve sent him out on loan.  Funnily enough, I''ve not see that mentioned on this message board....

Said at the time you can tell he''s got something and needs a run of games.

He was trying to do the right things and getting into the right areas.

It''s irrelevant really. We didn''t sign Harry Kane for his future potential, we signed him to make an impact straight away. During his brief stint with us he didn''t look ready for the PL.

His rapid development since doesn''t "show how much fans really know".

Ok, I''ll bite, say we had signed him , when (and despite of) he was here on loan, if he''d kept his record up (i.e not doing very well, for a couple more seasons), he would have got absolutely slated on here, and would of been considered the worst buy, for many a year.

Hard to compare the player he was on loan to us compared to who he is now. Developed a lot in that time. He was awful for us, that miss against West Ham was horrendous. But he was always highly regarded as having great potential and he''s worked hard to make the most of it. Fair play to him!