Sign in to follow this  
Barking Mad Barclay Boy

anyone know of any good books?

Tales from the city is excellent. Not a comprehensive history as such, but a lot of interesting stuff.

[quote user="morty"]I haven''t read the second one yet. Hopefully someone will buy it me for Christmas.[/quote]
Yeah I like you Morty mate, but remember, I know you ain''t no Mila, so i''m buying you nowt. Maybe a pint one day. [:D]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]I haven''t read the second one yet. Hopefully someone will buy it me for Christmas.[/quote]
Yeah I like you Morty mate, but remember, I know you ain''t no Mila, so i''m buying you nowt. Maybe a pint one day. [:D]
[/quote]Oh.I''ll take your present back to the shop then.*flounce*

On the ball City by Ted Bell is very good for the early historyEdward Couzins Lake has written ones about the 70''s & 80''s.There''s one called some thing like ''The Modern Era'' but I can''t remember who wrote it, try google.

Depneds what you are looking for, but for reference and stats the best two books I think are Norwich City - the Modern Era - by Rob Hadgraft, and (the best in my opinion) Canary Citizens by Eastwood and Davage . These two cover the whole era of the Club , up to around 2003; there may be updated version of them. since then I just relay on the internet I''m afraid !

The best non stat book I would say is All I want for Christmas - Iwan''s ghost written book; which is fabulous. A real insight to the game at the time, and covered a wonderful season for us. You feel his pain drinking Lucozade on New Years eve .

I would also go for "Norfolk and Good" which is brilliant, written by a fan but I cant recall his name.

[quote user="Barking Mad Barclay Boy"]Is there any around that explain the history of the club and is fairly upto date ?

ive been asked to ask on here if anyone knows of any good books related to the team?

thanks in advance[/quote]There is the official history, "Canary Citizens", which was published for the centenary in 2002. All the statistics you could want, plus details of every player, but it is now some years out of date, and perhaps constrained by being official.A racier read, and well illustrated, is "The Norwich City Story", published by the EDP, although that came out in 1995, so also out of date. The EDP also much more recently brought out "Norwich City - History as it Happened", which is just a compilation of pages from the paper, but one way of reliving the club''s significant moments.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]On the ball City by Ted Bell is very good for the early historyEdward Couzins Lake has written ones about the 70''s & 80''s.There''s one called some thing like ''The Modern Era'' but I can''t remember who wrote it, try google.

[/quote]

I possess and enjoyed the Ted Bell book. Until our rise to the old 1st Division, there was very little written down about us and many would not have known how close this club has stared into the abyss over the years.

And many old City players had little money at the end of their playing days and ended up working alongside the rest of us, which is unlikely to happen to most of the current squad, nationality excluded of course.

The demise of terracing has created a bit of a void through the lack of real atmosphere and the humour and heartaches of those stood next to you, and to me make many of the modern publications purely objective.