Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

Russell Bennett

On the Pinkun front page, an article about defenders for Saturday''s game.

We are asked to vote for Seb, Timm and oh yes, Russell Bennett.

Have I read it all wrong or is Chris Lakey alluding to a new defender, could be Ryan''s little brother?

Why isn''t Russell Martin one of the choices?   Our best pairing last time in the champs was Martin and Bassong, with Whittaker on the right.   Whittaker may be not always be at his best - but when he is on form, he is effective enough and a good attacking option.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Why isn''t Russell Martin one of the choices?   Our best pairing last time in the champs was Martin and Bassong, with Whittaker on the right.   Whittaker may be not always be at his best - but when he is on form, he is effective enough and a good attacking option.

[/quote]Surely though it should be based on current performances in positions, as opposed to what happened two season ago?

I don''t rate Martin or Whittaker to be honest, however, wonder what Captain Fantastic must think when he''s not in a poll of best centre backs at the club.

Another side issue is the pre match presser tomorrow.

Alex Neil threw toys out of the pram last week because of the press, what will he make of his new defender?

[quote user="Number 9"]It would be extremely bad if we all voted for the non existent defender to win the poll.😁[/quote]

They are all non existent at times.

If Pinto isn''t fit, I happily see Whittaker at right back, with a centre back pairing of Klose and Martin. Klose and Martin is our best pairing for me and they haven''t lost a game in which they''ve partnered each other yet this season.

[quote user="Jacko"]If Pinto isn''t fit, I happily see Whittaker at right back, with a centre back pairing of Klose and Martin. Klose and Martin is our best pairing for me and they haven''t lost a game in which they''ve partnered each other yet this season.[/quote]I agree with all of that.But I thought the defence that played last week did okay, so not really sure about the prudence of wholesale changes, apart from Olsson.

Yep, agree with that too.

Main thing though would be to make a decision and stick with it to try and develop some understanding. Had some bad luck with injuries to be fair but personally I think the defence is the area that should be tinkered with the least.

If pinto is still injured I would play Brady right back and move Russ back in the middle with either bassong or klose. We have more options left mid we can use

With the newly committed olsson that would be our best back four, compromising just rb rather than the cb pairing and rb

I have no issue with playing Brady at right back per se. I think of the best games he''s ever had in a Norwich shirt was against Man City at the Etihad as a right wing back. So he can do it.

However, I would prefer to see him on the left wing. Whilst Jarvis is out he is the only person we''ve got who can really do a proper job there. Hoolahan, Pritchard and Naismith can do a turn out there but we look really unbalanced as a result.

I take Morty''s point about the defence generally doing OK against Derby. Although playing devil''s advocate how much of that was down to them having to holding midfielders in front of them all afternoon? A luxury no other Norwich defence has had so far this season apart from Ipswich away.

[quote user="Jacko"]I have no issue with playing Brady at right back per se. I think of the best games he''s ever had in a Norwich shirt was against Man City at the Etihad as a right wing back. So he can do it.

However, I would prefer to see him on the left wing. Whilst Jarvis is out he is the only person we''ve got who can really do a proper job there. Hoolahan, Pritchard and Naismith can do a turn out there but we look really unbalanced as a result.

I take Morty''s point about the defence generally doing OK against Derby. Although playing devil''s advocate how much of that was down to them having to holding midfielders in front of them all afternoon? A luxury no other Norwich defence has had so far this season apart from Ipswich away.[/quote]Yeah the two DM''s is a reasonable point.But the defence did seem a lot better than the previous week in actually dealing with things, and doing basics. I twas only a deflected shot that undone them.Buy yeah, the two DM''s have me thinking now. Glad I''m not picking the team.