Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Josh Murphy

With Jerome apparently doubtful for tomorrow, we find ourselves short of a striker. Lafferty is the type of player I would like to have coming off the bench if we need a goal, and (in my opinion) Oliviera has looked poor.

So, is it worth playing Josh Murphy as a striker?

AN has oft spoken that his criticism of Josh is his lack of defensive tracking when played as a winger. I think AN also said similar about Redmond over the past couple of seasons. But if Josh were to play up front then this somewhat negates this point, no?

I''ve seen him play as an out-and-out striker in pre-season and youth games and I''ve always thought he looked very good there. Certainly has the pace to worry defenders, and clearly has a genuine eye for goal - something we sorely need in the team.

We missed this trick with Redmond, who is now being used almost exclusively as a striker for Southampton. Is it worth at least trying Josh Murphy in this way?

Neil Adams didn''t miss that trick with Redmond. I''ve seen Josh used up front like that but I''d go with Oliveira. He''s linked well with Naismith when Ive seen them together.

Could do, and if we were not on a 7 match winless run, I would say possible, but in this context i cant see us taking the chance

experience to get ourselves out of this seems to be the mantra; if its not going to be the so inspiring dolly or kyle then i suspect we may see naismith there again, he has put in two good shifts the last couple of games which probably puts him ahead of the other two who barely broke wind left alone a sweat when they had the chance.

pride comes before the fall Paul?

I echo Nutty and ZLF, he has played there for the youth teams and I''ve no doubt he could do an okay job. But we have better options. Although I hope not ZLF, we don''t want a repeat of the Naismith vs Birmingham debacle!

Personally i''m not convinced that the others are much better options at present - and given the poor form I would far rather we give one of our own a chance.

That said, i''m not naive enough to think that this is a realistic possibility tomorrow. AN is fighting for his job, and so is likely to play it safe.

Going forward I think this is worth considering though - even if only off the bench.

Oliviera has to have something about him - or else why did we spend lots of cash to bring him here? He''s looked a bit lost in the limited time he''s had in the first team; lets hope he finds the net should he play tomorrow...

So you would pick Josh Murphy over Morris. Morris not involved in the u23 game tonight so maybe get a spot on the bench tomorrow.