Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

Will the Carrow Road ever be made larger.

In my opinion the club have been throwing money away for 2/3 seasons now by not extending the ground. At the moment teams like Spurs/Arsenal/Liverpool needed to get more fans in to compete at the highest level. With us striving to be a middle level club we need the ground to be larger for us to compete at that level. I suppose the usual suspects will shoot this opinion down, but that extra revenue from extra seats would run the academy which they keep banging on about.

Simmo lets see if you thought this through and show us how the finances will work.

[quote user="simmo_2"]In my opinion the club have been throwing money away for 2/3 seasons now by not extending the ground.[/quote]

There is a viewpoint that would say get in the premier league, don''t spend all the TV money, don''t buy any expensive players, take the money, have a good time for a season in the top league then go down to the champs and use the money to do it again and improve infrastructure.  If we had done that instead of buying Hooper/Fer/RVW and then not bought Snodgrass/Grabban/Klose and others, we might have saved all that money, had a good time in the premier league with no pressures and had money to build the club with.I quite like that idea, but it involves a mindset that a lot of people wouldn''t like, but then if you accept what you are rather than try to be something you''re not (ie a club with limited resources, not a super rich one) then you can go into every match the underdog and just have a go.  What is there to lose?  You end the season with millions in the bank, back in a league you know you can compete in, with a super healthy financial situation to go and do it again. It''s a win win.  Exciting and attacking football all the time, no desperation to stay in a financially obscene top league, no frustration at watching the team trying to survive every week, no buying multi-million pound flops, money to spend on the ground if needed and everyone enjoying the football.  What we have had, is seasons of desperate and soul destroying premier league campaigns with delusions that we can establish ourselves despite our relatively small resources.  We all want success, but maybe there is a better way........

Yeah I reckon if i sat in my chair in the Lake District i''d have a similar viewpoint LDC [;)]

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]West Brom, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth[/quote]

This is the problem, I see NCFC as a bigger club with more potential than all above apart from Palace because they are in London. To all the posters who say where is the money coming from - the same place as when the Jarrold Stand was built. The clubs finances are in a lot better state than when it was decided to build Jarrold Stand.

Look up fanbase not down all the time.

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Crabbycanary3"]West Brom, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth[/quote]

This is the problem, I see NCFC as a bigger club with more potential than all above apart from Palace because they are in London. To all the posters who say where is the money coming from - the same place as when the Jarrold Stand was built. The clubs finances are in a lot better state than when it was decided to build Jarrold Stand.

Look up fanbase not down all the time.[/quote]So, lets put some meat on the bones here.How much would we have to borrow, and what capacity are you heading for?I''ll give you a clue, its going to cost a lot more to replace the City stand, than we paid for the Jarrold.

It''s a cost exercise, and it''ll never happen until we''re an established Premier League side. McNally said a few years ago it''d take 3 straight seasons in the Prem to sort out enough finances to upgrade the ground and sadly we never managed that without getting relegated.

The sad truth is getting back into the Prem will give us a vastly greater amount of cash compared to letting in a few extra fans. Extra fans don''t generate as much as the TV revenue we would get. We sell out every week, so the risk will never be taken until we''ve been in the Premier League for another long run.

Also bearing in mind this consultation was done several years ago now, the cost would probably be much, much higher and therefore require more seasons in the Prem than previously scheduled. To give you an idea;

Spurs new stadium improvements will cost them £750M

West Ham''s conversion of the Olympic Stadium cost £320M, bearing in mind it already cost £534M to build originally. Stadium redesigns are not cheap.

If we went for just a stand improvement I have found a few development projects which are a bit more relevant but still sound expensive;

Windsor Park £30 for an extra 4k seats and redevelopment.

Etihad Stadium £50M to add a third tier with around 6k seats added.

[quote user="hogesar"]Yeah I reckon if i sat in my chair in the Lake District i''d have a similar viewpoint LDC [;)][/quote]

It used to be a bit easier years ago before the premier league, the bigger clubs were always better funded, but the extremes are such these days that to have a policy that makes the available money work in your favour, makes sense.     How would we have done without Fer, Snodgrass, RVW and Hooper?  Got relegated???  Oh......

If, and only if Norwich can stay in the Premiership is there a case to enlarge the capacity.

Then only by adding a second tier to the Geoffrey Watling stand . It was designed to be able to take a second tier and it could be done quite cheaply.

Anything else is madness and would never pay for itself.

[quote user="Alan"]If, and only if Norwich can stay in the Premiership is there a case to enlarge the capacity.

Then only by adding a second tier to the Geoffrey Watling stand . It was designed to be able to take a second tier and it could be done quite cheaply.

Anything else is madness and would never pay for itself.[/quote]I don''t think it was.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Crabbycanary3"]West Brom, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth[/quote]

Look up fanbase not down all the time.[/quote]

So, lets put some meat on the bones here.How much would we have to borrow, and what capacity are you heading for?I''ll give you a clue, its going to cost a lot more to replace the City stand, than we paid for the Jarrold.[/quote]

I have been told that all the piling is in place for the stand to be extended it would sit directly on top of what is there now. I think we need 5/6 k more seats.

So many clubs are now 30k stadiums and fans, I feel we will get left behind long term.

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="morty"][quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Crabbycanary3"]West Brom, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth[/quote]

So, lets put some meat on the bones here.How much would we have to borrow, and what capacity are you heading for?I''ll give you a clue, its going to cost a lot more to replace the City stand, than we paid for the Jarrold.[/quote]

I have been told that all the piling is in place for the stand to be extended it would sit directly on top of what is there now. I think we need 5/6 k more seats.

So many clubs are now 30k stadiums and fans, I feel we will get left behind long term.[/quote]I don''t think that is correct, we have had the expansion debate here a lot of times.Its not just the seating, its all the services, dressing rooms etc that need replacing too. When McNally talked about it I think it was assumed the stand would be completely demolished, and rebuilt. Which, by my guess, would likely be 40 or 50 million.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="morty"][quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Crabbycanary3"]West Brom, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth[/quote]

So many clubs are now 30k stadiums and fans, I feel we will get left behind long term.[/quote]I don''t think that is correct, we have had the expansion debate here a lot of times.Its not just the seating, its all the services, dressing rooms etc that need replacing too. When McNally talked about it I think it was assumed the stand would be completely demolished, and rebuilt. Which, by my guess, would likely be 40 or 50 million.[/quote]

I am not 100% but I think those extensions can be built without doing nothing to the existing structure apart from taking the roof off.

I seem to remember one of the more far-sighted posters on here coming up with a masterplan to move out of Carrow Road? It was clearly a very credible argument since I believe he was involved in the game in a professional capacity too. Obviously not at the rarified level that the esteemed Mr Grit operates at, but he clearly had put a lot of thought into his proposal.

[quote user="simmo_2"]In my opinion the club have been throwing money away for 2/3 seasons now by not extending the ground. At the moment teams like Spurs/Arsenal/Liverpool needed to get more fans in to compete at the highest level. With us striving to be a middle level club we need the ground to be larger for us to compete at that level. I suppose the usual suspects will shoot this opinion down, but that extra revenue from extra seats would run the academy which they keep banging on about.[/quote]

The club is never going to be competitive until it is taken out of the hands of the pixies who run it.

The club is under-performing across all departments.

Academy? What academy? They haven''t produced a top player since Bellamy.

The owners need to be prepared to allow significant inward investment if infrastructure is to be improved, but not at the expense of the football department.

But the Stowmarket Two will not dilute their shareholding so we are where we are............

[quote user="simmo_2"]In my opinion the club have been throwing money away for 2/3 seasons now by not extending the ground. At the moment teams like Spurs/Arsenal/Liverpool needed to get more fans in to compete at the highest level. With us striving to be a middle level club we need the ground to be larger for us to compete at that level. I suppose the usual suspects will shoot this opinion down, but that extra revenue from extra seats would run the academy which they keep banging on about.[/quote]This is not going to happen any time soon, if ever. But the essential point here is correct. Far from not needing ground expansion in the Premier League, it is when we are in the top flight that the extra revenue from ticket sales, commercial and catering would help make us as competitive as or more competitive than our rival medium-sized clubs. Because everybody gets the TV money, and we get less than most, while our ground is generally one of the smallest in the division.

The dressing rooms and dug out are Conference League and perhaps less spent on Delia''s sherry and buttering up to her Labour Party cronies and we could at least improve the toilets.

PS

Thought the local yokel Barney the Rabble with the out of date tractor would call Simmo a Binner because of his post

BRAINLESS IDIOT

Carrrow Road

With the simple addition of an extra R into Carrow I have already made it larger. Might cost a bit to alter the stationery though.

You are right Morty he certainly has mental problems

Love how you are on the ball