Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

Team for Brentford

Ring the changes:

Ruddy

Pinto/Martin Godfrey Klose Brady/Olsson

Thompson/Tettey/Mulumbu/Dorrans (two from these lot to hold, depending on fitness and in my order of preference)

Jo. Murphy Wessi Pritchard

Jerome/Morris

Pinto preferred to the other options if fit. Extreme calling for Godfrey but looked good in the friendlies I saw him in and hard to see how anyone could be much worse. All of our best defensive performances in the past 12 months (not many to pick from) have involved Klose. I don''t care who plays left back, either likely to be average at best.

Thompson should be back in if fit, knowing our luck with injuries it''ll be Mulumbu and Dorrans holding. Bleak.

Give Josh a game, Jacob has gone off the boil and getting replaced by your brother might be the impetus we need. I''m convinced our best team contains Wessi and Pritchard, despite the former being out of form.

Jerome has been one of the few positives this season, gone are the days of questioning his new contract. Scary to think where we might be without him. If unfit, tempted to go with Morris as Oliveira looks average and Lafferty is just bad.

I''m really scared about next week, could get poisonous. I want it to work for Neil but worried that he might already be too far gone. Villa''s performances since hiring Bruce have been so much better, and as much as there is little use in hypothetical scenarios, it is hard to imagine him losing five in a row with this squad at this level.

OTBC

I might well be wrong, I wasn''t at the last two away games and by all accounts he did okay at Coo-Pee-Arr, so I will defer to anyone that was, but the last few times I have seen him in the flesh he has been a little disappointing.

We have far more pressing problems than which twin plays, should probably have added that in the first place.

OTBC

It''s not just about which twin plays. Jacobs the twin who has put most in. Ideally he would probably have been rested but with Howson out his energy is too important I guess. I don''t think it would be right to drop him just for the sake of it.

I guess who else plays largely depends on injury situation. Hope mulumbu came through ok. We seem to keep losing high energy players.

I was being slightly flippant re: which twin, apologies. Based on the games I have seen recently I would be tempted to change it up, but happy to be told otherwise if indeed he has played okay in the past two games.

Picking the team does come with a number of fitness caveats at the moment. I doubt our best 11 wouldn''t have lost five on the spin, but with the money spent and depth of cover, it''s hardly an excuse.

[quote user="mighty yellow"]I was being slightly flippant re: which twin, apologies. Based on the games I have seen recently I would be tempted to change it up, but happy to be told otherwise if indeed he has played okay in the past two games.

Picking the team does come with a number of fitness caveats at the moment. I doubt our best 11 wouldn''t have lost five on the spin, but with the money spent and depth of cover, it''s hardly an excuse.[/quote]It kinda is though.We lose Pinto, meaning we break up our best CB partnership in Martin and Klose. We lose Jonny Howson, who really is the only of his type that we have, Mulumbo was meant to be a box to box midfielder, and has never really worked out, though played well today.This week we lose Dorrans and Olsson, depriving us of being to be able to deploy Brady further up the field, where he is best. Which means we continue with Jacob, who really looks like he needs a rest.During the game we lose Jerome, really our most effective striker in the single role.None of it is ideal really.

Mulumbu has been sluggish for so long, if he can be restored to the player he appeared the be when he first came he could still prove to be a really valuable asset.

[quote user="mighty yellow"]Agreed that it is far from ideal, but it doesn''t excuse five losses in a row.[/quote]Not saying it does.Doesn''t help though, does it?

No, it''s scary how much we miss Howson, in the past I have been guilty of underestimating him; I''ve always rated him, but often the guy doing the simple stuff can be overlooked IMHO. Should probably be captain but that''s a whole other issue.

If Jeroom misses an extended period, I feel the same might be said of him. Head and shoulders above our other striking options in terms of his all round game and in our system.

Do you think it is normal to be this affected by a few injuries? I know every team has star players, but it does seem concerning that we rely on one or two individuals so much, but maybe that is just football. Not a leading question, genuinely interested in your answer.

[quote user="mighty yellow"]No, it''s scary how much we miss Howson, in the past I have been guilty of underestimating him; I''ve always rated him, but often the guy doing the simple stuff can be overlooked IMHO. Should probably be captain but that''s a whole other issue.

If Jeroom misses an extended period, I feel the same might be said of him. Head and shoulders above our other striking options in terms of his all round game and in our system.

Do you think it is normal to be this affected by a few injuries? I know every team has star players, but it does seem concerning that we rely on one or two individuals so much, but maybe that is just football. Not a leading question, genuinely interested in your answer.[/quote]Well if they are genuinely the best players in their positions, yes.We''re not Man City, we don''t have millions of pounds of genuine, finished article quality, waiting in the wings.We''re Norwich, we don''t have much money, I would struggle to name any one of our players as a genuine, complete, finished article. You can go through our whole squad "If only Cam scored more goals" "If Wes had a right foot that matched his left he''d be world class" etc etc etc.Players missing today :-HowsonDorransCam off injuredOlssonPintoJarvis, ahemWe play 5 midfielders normally and theres 3 that would likely start if fit. The lad Murphy genuinely needs a rest.I think you have to look at the makeup of most squads. You will have maybe 18 players that are genuine first team prospects, maybe 4 or 5 yoof that may or may not break through, and then maybe 5 or 6 squad fillers that will just about do a job.We really better hope Cam isn''t too bad.

Problem is with Cams that we have relied on him all season Morty. We should have at least been giving the likes of Nelson a shout off the bench, it was obvious that at some point Cams would get a knock and we now find ourselves with players of little recent first team experience having to be brought in and relied upon.

we have options again next week with returning suspendees. Depending on injury recover

Ruddy

Pinto/Brady Martin Klose Olsson

Mulumbu Dorrans

Murphy Wes Naismith

Jerome

I suspect Alex will stick with Bassong in LCB and if Pinto remains out of contention I am expecting the Martin/Bennett gap to continue,

But Murphy/Nailsmith have to start getting beyond the striker and the 3 in the central triangle have to start passing forwards with some tempo as well as slowly back and sideways.

the right flank is a problem in that other than josh/jacob, with jacob streets ahead despite tiring performances recently, we probably only have the out of favour canos as an option

THIS is only place where the loss of the dropped before injured howson has hit us; providing an option on that side of the pitch.

Pinto is a key loss, we have lost his pace of recovery as well as his attacking movement that gives jacob the space to impress. It is for this element that I think it is worth returning Martin to CB and giving Brady another go at right back; its not like we can get any worse, may improve the attacking width and break up the weak martin Bennett axis

[quote user="nutty nigel"]What''s Jacob done to warrant being dropped?[/quote]What has he done to warrant being in the team think he was offered a contract to please fans but was awful yesterday

[quote user="pliff"][quote user="nutty nigel"]What''s Jacob done to warrant being dropped?[/quote]What has he done to warrant being in the team think he was offered a contract to please fans but was awful yesterday[/quote]
What''s he done? How about five goals and two assists. You say he was awful yesterday but others haven''t been that critical. However even if he was awful if players are dropped after one awful game we won''t have anyone available on Saturday unless Jerome''s fit.
As for his contract only being awarded to please fans -  If you can''t take pride in what that lad has achieved you really do not deserve to support a team with him in it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]What''s Jacob done to warrant being dropped?[/quote]
He was poor vs Derby

He mixed things up and it backfired. Back to the core 11 and if that fails, good bye Alex me thinks. 

It''s all gone terribly wrong and he has no excuses. Time [O]

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="nutty nigel"]What''s Jacob done to warrant being dropped?[/quote]
He was poor vs Derby
[/quote]
Well like I said. If we don''t play anyone who has had a poor game then I can only think of Jerome who could play on Saturday and he''s more than likely injured.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]All of a sudden Martin is everyone''s first choice on the team sheet. Ask yourself why?[/quote]
No idea. I could understand it when he was playing centre back. But hes been poor at right back. Whits would be better there.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]All of a sudden Martin is everyone''s first choice on the team sheet. Ask yourself why?[/quote]Because the back 4 that has probably played the best this season is :-Pinto Martin Klose Olsson.And we''re hoping Pinto is back.Was that it?