Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Some thoughts on today

So much better all round.Seemed to be a shoot on sight mentality.Pinto and Brady getting well forward. Pinto had a cracking game.Oliveira looks the striker we had hoped for. His goal was a delight. Too often we have tried to walk the ball in the net, today he took on the defenders and made the goal. Similarly Pinto and Ja Murphy gave us a bit of ''old style'' football... going past your manPritchard is not Hoolahan, but wins the ball far more. Howson has been missedMaybe too early to say ''told you so'' but all of us felt we had got ''our''Norwich back. I doubt many expected what we got... which was Santa at his most generous.A great day.

Howson & Pritchard superb today, much better side without tettey. Nice to have someone who can run forwards with the ball from centre midfield.

Time to build round Pritchard in the number 10 role.

[quote user="Move Klose"]Howson & Pritchard superb today, much better side without tettey. Nice to have someone who can run forwards with the ball from centre midfield.

Time to build round Pritchard in the number 10 role.[/quote]agree, although I''m not so sure what the supposed number 10 is aboutmost of the players had a free hand to move about as required

[quote user="Barney Rabble"][quote user="Move Klose"]Howson & Pritchard superb today, much better side without tettey. Nice to have someone who can run forwards with the ball from centre midfield.

Time to build round Pritchard in the number 10 role.[/quote]agree, although I''m not so sure what the supposed number 10 is aboutmost of the players had a free hand to move about as required[/quote]Like there was some kind of tactical planning in the formation?Interesting....

I''ve never followed this formation lineonce you are on the pitch you have to play as the game dictates, the idea that football is some kinbd of static game with placings as with cricket is nonsensicalyou could freeze frame a recording and NEVER find the players in any semblance of this formation mumbo jumbothat''s why you had Murphy and Pritchard back defending in open play, Brady up to score, Pinto taking on their defender to cross numerous times

Don''t agree it was a ''shoot on sight'' mentality. We played some really good link up football and made it count in the final third.

Brentford were poor and gave us too much time and space to play the way we have always tried to. I''m not saying we only won due to their incompetence (and I''m a proud happy clapper!) but it would be stupid to say their woeful play was just what we needed to get back to winning ways.

That being said we did what we do best, play the ball around looking for a good build up. However the difference was at the critical times we played the quick ball or we made the cross and we took our chances.

Dorrans looked far better with Howson alongside him.

I liked the last ten with both Murphy twins on, you can see the raw pace and with Pinto (Martin) & Brady behind them, it looked a solid combo.

Also Ruddy gives us a far more solid base to start with.

"Don''t agree it was a ''shoot on sight'' mentality. We played some really

good link up football and made it count in the final third."
I think you misunderstand what I meant here.Of course we were playing well today, however we were not trying to walk the ball into the net. There was a sense of if you have a chance then have a go, if not create a chance... take the ball forward, or past the opponent and shoot.If that is not how you saw it then ....

I''m not sure it was Brentford being so poor, some of our passing & close control (particularly in the first half) would have cut a lot of top class sides to pieces. Not that that means we would have beaten a Man City or Chelsea - we''re too vulnerable at the back for that - but our build-up play was often just sensational.

I know people won''t like this but I''d go for both Murphy''s and drop Naismith.

Just think they add to the threat more, but that said Naismith had a good game, just looked knackered.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]I think a lot of credit for that has to go to Pritchard...he was MoM imo[/quote]Unplayable at times. 200% better than Hoolahans sideways passing last week.

They do seem to be passing each otherone downward, and one upwardPritchard certainly had much more determination about him

Determination may just be the right word, Wessi has been undroppable despite some dodgy performances, Pritchard looked like he wanted to grab the opportunity with both hands.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Determination may just be the right word, Wessi has been undroppable despite some dodgy performances, Pritchard looked like he wanted to grab the opportunity with both hands.[/quote]Kind of illustrates the difference between players who actually want it, and ones who are perhaps cruising and happy to just take the money....

watch how after winning the ball in midfield he then takes over and the drive to beat the fender to score1m 40secsPritchard

Of course there was a formation- it was noticeable for instance that Naismith was very much playing on the left. Sure he might drift a bit when we have the ball but when we didn''t he was rigidly playing on the left ahead of Brady. Similarly Pritchard was clearly deployed more centrally and wasn''t asked to do the same sort of tracking back.

Overall, we did really well today. Just a comment on my part ( and not directed only to this thread ) ....and definitely not meaning to criticize any poster offering constructive criticism because it is one of the many things this forum is there for regarding our most effective use of the players in our squad. However, please bear in mind when offering comments on players such as Martin and Hoolahan, that when those comments are offered we should all be generous enough not to refer to such players as if they are nothing more than a commodity to be moved aside. They have been loyal servants to this club and, to some extent, age is catching up to them. In other words, they are not only professional footballers but human beings with tenure at our club and, in some cases, have their children being born in the city/county. Nothing wrong with any of us stating the obvious but it can be done without the callousness that some seem to apply in their words and, in any event, they are still valuable members of the squad until such time that it''s no longer the case. 

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Barney Rabble"][quote user="Move Klose"]Howson & Pritchard superb today, much better side without tettey. Nice to have someone who can run forwards with the ball from centre midfield.

Time to build round Pritchard in the number 10 role.[/quote]agree, although I''m not so sure what the supposed number 10 is aboutmost of the players had a free hand to move about as required[/quote]Like there was some kind of tactical planning in the formation?Interesting....[/quote]

No, More like the shackles of rigidity had been removed and the players granted a little more freedom!

That said Brentford were a poor outfit and the amount of time gifted our players on the ball was criminal....

Clearly their manager is as inept as our own, as anyone watching the video;s of our games this season would have known that sitting off would play right into our hands....

However it was nice to leave with a smile on one''s face today BUT wasnt the place eerily quite even at 2-0 up you could have heard a pin drop.....what was everyone waiting for ?

Yes there was an extremely nervy atmosphere among the crowd- can''t say I blame them though, we''ve not exactly been great at holding on to leads.

The reaction to the goals was a bit subdued as well.Almost the kind of cheer you get when the players names are read outGet us back near the top and every game will be that important that the atmosphere will pick up.Today was a bit like hoping across a stream, any minute we were expecting to fall in (if that makes sense)

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Determination may just be the right word, Wessi has been undroppable despite some dodgy performances, Pritchard looked like he wanted to grab the opportunity with both hands.[/quote]Kind of illustrates the difference between players who actually want it, and ones who are perhaps cruising and happy to just take the money....[/quote]

If you''re suggesting Hoolahan is a player that "cruises" and is just happy to take the money might I suggest you re watch the last 7 years of NCFC

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Determination may just be the right word, Wessi has been undroppable despite some dodgy performances, Pritchard looked like he wanted to grab the opportunity with both hands.[/quote]Kind of illustrates the difference between players who actually want it, and ones who are perhaps cruising and happy to just take the money....[/quote]

If you''re suggesting Hoolahan is a player that "cruises" and is just happy to take the money might I suggest you re watch the last 7 years of NCFC[/quote]Yes, yes, yes, thats all well and good.Compare Wes'' performance last week to Pritchards this.Remember even Lambert dropped Wes.

Haha so Wes isn''t allowed a bad game?

Wes has looked streets ahead of Pritchard this season. I''m delighted Pritchard has had his second good game this season and I hope it continues. Wes was our best players for 4 or 5 games in a row this season.

Not sure what you''re getting at really!

[quote user="hogesar"]Haha so Wes isn''t allowed a bad game?

Wes has looked streets ahead of Pritchard this season. I''m delighted Pritchard has had his second good game this season and I hope it continues. Wes was our best players for 4 or 5 games in a row this season.

Not sure what you''re getting at really![/quote]I''m getting at he makes us predictable and one dimensional.And he is starting to only look good in games that we dominate easily.

But so far so has Pritchard. Rotherham and today. And they''re very similar players so not sure one dimensional is really relevant.