Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Bassong = Goals & Baffling changes

Bassong in the team means an automatic loss.

At fault for both goals. Only took him 1 minute to make a mistake as he was also anonymous for the cross that lead to the penalty.

We all knew what was coming so it was no surprise, but why on earth doesn''t AN see this? He isn''t learning. Bassong was finished long ago and his name on the team sheet is suicide.

The changes, while warranted, were wrong. How does our best player this season, Wes, get dropped, yet Brady and Naismith who have been abysmal start ahead of him?

Jury is out on the Oliveira change as he played well apparently, but Jerome was involved in the goal and Lafferty deserved a chance so I''m not convinced this was right either.

But Bassong for Klose was pure stupidity and highlights AN''s shortcomings.

It''s an automatic loss every time and the fact AN fails to understand this is why he needs to be sacked.

False

He was part of the team that beat Everton away in the cup this season

To be fair all our centre halves are as bad as each other.

Should''ve signed Duffy from Blackburn when he was available.

Yes well done Buh, devils advocate response. Youre right and I''m wrong well done.

I''m talking about League, we all know the cup is a lottery and Everton played there second team and clearly werent bothered.

[quote user="Buh"]Bassong IS useless but WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?

Do a podcast on that[/quote]

Klose is the alternative.

And podcast? Christ grow up man.

I don''t know if you''ve noticed Matt but all of our defenders are crap at the moment

I think we''ve reached "might as well give this combo a go" levels

I was surprised he started too tbh although I know there are some that prefer him to Benno.

Presume that Pinto will be back Sat and that it ll revert to Klose/Martin at the back?

[quote user="hogesar"]Bassong is no worse than Bennett.

In fact he''s probably better.[/quote]

Disagree, Bassong is shot to pieces, he doesn''t do the basics like win headers or track or snuff out his man. This happens every game, it leads to goals and is why we lose.

[quote user="Buh"]I don''t know if you''ve noticed Matt but all of our defenders are crap at the moment

I think we''ve reached "might as well give this combo a go" levels[/quote]

They are but ''give this a combo a go?'' No! Bassong equals goals and 0 points and it had done for a very long time now.

[quote user="Buh"]Whereas klose and Bennett has proven themselves to be rick solid lol[/quote]

Yeah I didn''t say that did I Buh. God what''s wrong with you.

The point is Bassong means a loss, guaranteed, before a ball has been kicked. And this is proved time and time again yet AN doesn''t get it.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Yes well done Buh, devils advocate response. Youre right and I''m wrong well done.

I''m talking about League, we all know the cup is a lottery and Everton played there second team and clearly werent bothered.[/quote]From the BBC match report:

The Dutchman made six changes to the team that beat Middlesbrough 3-1

at the weekend to take the Toffees up to second in the Premier League,

but his starting XI still had plenty of ability and experience.

Only Robbie Brady remained from the Norwich team that beat Nottingham Forest at the weekend
Looks like they were more bothered than we were.

What''s the magical centre back partnership we havenet tried?

I''m not denying bassong is rubbish, he is, but the others aren''t doing anything either?

Shall we have Cory McDonald at centre half? Is that the answer?

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Yes well done Buh, devils advocate response. Youre right and I''m wrong well done.

I''m talking about League, we all know the cup is a lottery and Everton played there second team and clearly werent bothered.[/quote]From the BBC match report:

The Dutchman made six changes to the team that beat Middlesbrough 3-1

at the weekend to take the Toffees up to second in the Premier League,

but his starting XI still had plenty of ability and experience.

Only Robbie Brady remained from the Norwich team that beat Nottingham Forest at the weekend
Looks like they were more bothered than we were.[/quote]

So what point are you making Nuff Said? That Everton were bothered, or that the cup isn''t an entirely different prospect to the league?

Or are you saying that because Bassong was part of that it excuses all the league performances where we concede every time, and in fact Bassong is great and should be playing. What''s your point?

My point is that despite that we are apparently living in a "post-truth" world, the evidence you quoted was untrue. Therefore your argument is weakened.It was meant as a neutral post re the OP, but since you ask, personally, I think Bassong is **** and have done for several years. The fact that our performances improved once he came back in after the loan to Watford shows that, as I''m quite willing to admit, I know **** all about what makes a successful team and am in general happy to leave it to the professionals and simply support my team.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]My point is that despite that we are apparently living in a "post-truth" world, the evidence you quoted was untrue. Therefore your argument is weakened.It was meant as a neutral post re the OP, but since you ask, personally, I think Bassong is **** and have done for several years. The fact that our performances improved once he came back in after the loan to Watford shows that, as I''m quite willing to admit, I know **** all about what makes a successful team and am in general happy to leave it to the professionals and simply support my team.[/quote]

Well as I said Nuff the cup is the cup and is a totally different prospect to the bread and butter league, so to draw any comparisons is pointless I think.

As for using the Everton game to suggest Bassong deserves a league chance is ridiculous. Using the league performances, which are consistently incompetent, is the only factor needed here when considering Bassong.

And the fact AN fails to see this is baffling.

The fairly obvious answer is strengthen the areas that you are weakest in, which Neil clearly hasn''t done in the various Windows available to him.

[quote user="Alfie54"]The fairly obvious answer is strengthen the areas that you are weakest in, which Neil clearly hasn''t done in the various Windows available to him.[/quote]

Don''t think we can blame AN for this. It''s more down to money and location, and perhaps AN''s inexperience as a manager, which isn''t his fault.

Bennett is our worst centre half when it comes to footballing ability. That''s why Martin generally gets the nod when everyone is fit.

Klose is a better player than Bassong but with Klose having been pony for weeks, to drop him you have to play the best possible alternative, which is Bassong.

It could be easily argued that the choices available are sub-standard but it could also be argued that our centre halves are the fall guys for the managers choice of playing system. Playing with our full backs pushed on at every opportunity leaves them isolated and betwixt positions regularly where they find they have to "split" man and ball rather than committing to one or the other. If we played a more orthodox defensive line, I''m sure our centre halves would look better.

However!!! That doesn''t explain our inability to defend set pieces or even bloody throw ins!!

Bassong at CB means an automatic loss

Apart from all the times he''s played and we''ve won

This is truly worthy of a podcast

Id criticise Neil for many selection issues but what can he reasonably do in terms of selection at CB when he''s been so badly let down by all of them in recent times.

He has no more move yet to make, Michael Turner and Carlton Morris is literally the next combination to try.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Bennett is our worst centre half when it comes to footballing ability. That''s why Martin generally gets the nod when everyone is fit.

Klose is a better player than Bassong but with Klose having been pony for weeks, to drop him you have to play the best possible alternative, which is Bassong.

It could be easily argued that the choices available are sub-standard but it could also be argued that our centre halves are the fall guys for the managers choice of playing system. Playing with our full backs pushed on at every opportunity leaves them isolated and betwixt positions regularly where they find they have to "split" man and ball rather than committing to one or the other. If we played a more orthodox defensive line, I''m sure our centre halves would look better.

However!!! That doesn''t explain our inability to defend set pieces or even bloody throw ins
!![/quote]I have alluded to this elsewhere, and it baffles me.These are players that have probably been playing for 20 years, doing the most basic of defending tasks. Its not like Alex Neil should even be having to coach them in any of this.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]

Well as I said Nuff the cup is the cup and is a totally different prospect to the bread and butter league, so to draw any comparisons contradicts my arguments so must be wrong I think.....[/quote]Fixed that for you.Bassong had a decent game in a stand-out result for us against a successful Premier League team who clearly wanted to win, otherwise they would have dropped 10 of the first team like we did. It doesn''t mean he should be an automatic pick but stop digging the hole you''re in.

Bassong = guaranteed 0 points and a loss.

Bloody hell, must have imagined all those games with him and Turner at CB where we won! Must have also imagined us recalling him from Watford and winning games with him in defence then!

The best CB partnership we have had so far this season was when Klose was with Bennett early on although both went off the boil when Martin subsequently came back into the team.

I actually found most of his changes baffling on Saturday to be honest. If you did a straw poll amongst the fans as to which of the senior players have let themselves down the most so far this season I suspect that along with Howson, Wes and Jerome would be the two at the bottom of the list. Wes''s form has dipped a bit of late but he was excellent early in the season and has always put a shift in. Jerome has worked hard in every game I''ve seen. And yet those two are the ones who find themselves dropped to the bench whilst other underperformers (including Brady who has been avoiding 50/50 tackles in games) remain in the side and other poor performers were brought in. Smacked of desperation if you ask me.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The best CB partnership we have had so far this season was when Klose was with Bennett early on although both went off the boil when Martin subsequently came back into the team.

I actually found most of his changes baffling on Saturday to be honest. If you did a straw poll amongst the fans as to which of the senior players have let themselves down the most so far this season I suspect that along with Howson, Wes and Jerome would be the two at the bottom of the list. Wes''s form has dipped a bit of late but he was excellent early in the season and has always put a shift in. Jerome has worked hard in every game I''ve seen. And yet those two are the ones who find themselves dropped to the bench whilst other underperformers (including Brady who has been avoiding 50/50 tackles in games) remain in the side and other poor performers were brought in. Smacked of desperation if you ask me.[/quote]

Sorry Jim, but I''m not having that. Any combination that includes Bennett will never be our best.

First choice back four, with all at their best, would be Pinto, Martin, Klose and Olsson.

Unfortunately, "at their best" is a distant memory.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="Jim Smith"]The best CB partnership we have had so far this season was when Klose was with Bennett early on although both went off the boil when Martin subsequently came back into the team.

I actually found most of his changes baffling on Saturday to be honest. If you did a straw poll amongst the fans as to which of the senior players have let themselves down the most so far this season I suspect that along with Howson, Wes and Jerome would be the two at the bottom of the list. Wes''s form has dipped a bit of late but he was excellent early in the season and has always put a shift in. Jerome has worked hard in every game I''ve seen. And yet those two are the ones who find themselves dropped to the bench whilst other underperformers (including Brady who has been avoiding 50/50 tackles in games) remain in the side and other poor performers were brought in. Smacked of desperation if you ask me.[/quote]

Sorry Jim, but I''m not having that. Any combination that includes Bennett will never be our best.

First choice back four, with all at their best, would be Pinto, Martin, Klose and Olsson.

Unfortunately, "at their best" is a distant memory.[/quote]

If everyone is "at their best" then Bassong would be in there but he is so far away from his best now that its irrelevant.

You and I will never agree on this so just have to agree to disagree but I will never accept that Martin is a centre back and I think at his best Bennett is a far better player there. "At his best" Martin would be rivalling Pinto for the right back role though but he''s forgotten how to play there properly since he (and various managers) decided he''s a ball playing centre half.

[quote user="hogesar"]Bassong = guaranteed 0 points and a loss.

R

Bloody hell, must have imagined all those games with him and Turner at CB where we won! Must have also imagined us recalling him from Watford and winning games with him in defence then![/quote]

Really? Really? When was that? 4 yrs ago?

I''m talking about how you idiot, Bassong has been finished for 18 months now, he was poor all last season and nothing has changed

[quote user="Buh"]Bassong at CB means an automatic loss

Apart from all the times he''s played and we''ve won

This is truly worthy of a podcast

Id criticise Neil for many selection issues but what can he reasonably do in terms of selection at CB when he''s been so badly let down by all of them in recent times.

He has no more move yet to make, Michael Turner and Carlton Morris is literally the next combination to try.[/quote]

Haha the podcast ''joke'' again. Wasn''t funny earlier so I''ll tell the same joke again. In the words of Steven Toast ''you really are a prize idiot''.