Sign in to follow this  
Yella Fella

Worthy's Moroccan Flutter

Is it just me or is enyone else realy, really annoyed that Saf was allowed to travel.  He limped out of our previous game before half-time, clearly wasnt fully fit - therefore should never have been allowed ot travel in the first place.  For goodness sake if he aint fit he shouldn''t be going.  He is employed by NCFC - not Morocco.  We pay his wages.  Any other team would have refused their player permission - any other team that is except for Norwich. No, we are quite happy to send one of our key players out on duty - knowing full well he could worsen the situation.  We''re too soft.

Whilst i accept that refusing Saf permission might annoy him, surely its better to take the risk then to end up losing him.  Afterall, he would come round to the idea if he really thought it through.

But low and behold he goes, despite not being fit, picks up an injury and so as a result misses out on arguably one of the most important run -ins of our season.

Fantastic.  Bloody fantastic.

Totally agree . It is beyond belief that Worthington should allow him to go when it was clear he was injured. Instead of resting for the last 2 weeks and being fit for Saturday , he is now set to miss seven games . What a complete shambles !What an insult to the fans !

four alternatives:

1) bring marney into the middle along side hughes

2) bring in Rossi Jarvis

3) bring in a loaning

4) use jason jarrett.....

No way -- it''s complete hypocrisy to be gleefully waving moroccan flags and chanting ''moroccan all over the world'' one minute and then deny the guy the chhance to play for his country in a crucial world cup qualifier the next.

Obviously I''m gutted he''s injured but that''s life. I''m not even sure we are able to prevent him travelling to a competitive international but even if we were it would be completely unfair to do so, regardless of whether we pay his wages or not.

I agree if he was fit . But he wasn''t - he had to come off against Brighton - It is clear that he should not have played and Worthington should have been strong enough to tell him . Would Alex Ferguson have allowed this ? I don''t think so !

Totally agree ncfc0405! Such a one eyed parochial reaction.

Take yourselves back to when we had to play Scotland to secure our place in the euro finals (or was it WC2002?!). That is the equivalent to the Morrocco Tunisia game. A winner takes all, one off match up between two old enemies for a ticket to the world cup finals. Now imagine that gerrard, owen, lampard, rooney or terry were not 100% fit and imagine trying to stop them from playing. And imagine the English press reaction if ferguson, mourinho or benitez prevented them from playing. Get real!
And the Result? Resentment and anger between player and manager, and Worthy cops it for not letting him go!

And besides, is it actually within a club manager''s power to actually stop a player playing a competitive game for his country?

[quote]No way -- it''s complete hypocrisy to be gleefully waving moroccan flags and chanting ''moroccan all over the world'' one minute and then deny the guy the chhance to play for his country in a crucial wor...[/quote]

Agree 100% ncfc0405.
Yes we''re gutted but I doubt anyones more gutted than Youssef.
If he wanted to go and represent his country (in a crucial qualifier, not a meaningless friendly) even at 75% fitness then it would be a hard hearted manager who refused him the chance.
So its blown up in Worthy''s face, but I bet he''d do the same again.

If he''d taken a harder line and called rank on Safri they could have had a big fallout and then those Feyenoord rumours would start to be worrying.
If I was a manager I''d be very cautious about curtailing a players international ambitions. Representing your country is one of the biggest honours in sport.
Youssef thought he''d be OK, but he wasn''t - how is that Worthington''s fault?

Its bad luck, but we''re strong enough as a club to keep getting results in his absence and really turn on the style when he comes back.
Not saying we won''t miss him, but we have ample cover.
Marney''s preferred position is centre midfield, maybe a chance for him to team up with Hughes rather than being stuck out wide...hes not a winger.

I''m disappointed that Safri will be out for a while, and that may cost us vital points. But we''re lucky to have such a quality international midfielder, who is so passionate about his football that he''s willing to sacrifice his fitness for the cause.

Ok, so this time around it was for his country. But next time it will probably be the Canaries he will put himself on the line for. Personally, I want players like that with us, and have nothing but respect for a player who will give his all for his national side.

[quote]Totally agree ncfc0405! Such a one eyed parochial reaction. Take yourselves back to when we had to play Scotland to secure our place in the euro finals (or was it WC2002?!). That is the equivalent t...[/quote]

Spot on, a1canary!  The Tunisisa-Morrocco game was HUGE, and one of the biggest games that Safri would have ever played in.

Now the poor guy is not only injured, but absolutely gutted that he can''t represent his country at the World Cup Finals.  Cheer up, Safs (if you''re one of the NCFC player-lurkers on here).  You''ll get another big day this season - either an automatic promotion or a play-off final win at one of the first ever games at Wembley

I think some of you may have misunderstood.  My post wasnt an attack on Safri, of course you cant blame him for wanting to play in such an important match.  Replying by saying you cant blame Safri for wanting to play is just pointless.

It should be up to the manager at the end of the day.  Any player worth his position in the team is bound to want to play.  He should have been told that it isnt on.

I''m sorry but passion or no passion he shouldnt have gone.  He was injured.  End of story.  Having such a quality international player counts for nothing if he is injured.

Can you see a top manager like Wenger or Ferguson allowing one of their very best players to even train with their country when they''re not fit? I don''t think so. 

The rules are crystal clear - worthy could do nothing.

For any competitive FIFA fixture any national association can insist upon any injured player travelling to the get together 4 days prior to any game to assess whether they are indeed fit or not.  Failure to allow the player to travel will incur a suspension equivalent to the length of international duty after the last international has been played - ie usually 2 saturdays and so potentially 3 matches. So safri does not travel, moroccans complain when it becomes clear safri is fit for the millwall game and he is effectively suspended for 3 games anyway. 

The rules were introduced BECAUSE the fergies of this world held players to ransom (giggs for wales for example) - while the smaller clubs did not stand in players ways; the rules provide a level playing field for all club and national sides.

It is uncomfortable but for me is the lesser of two evils.

OTBC 

i haven''t misunderstood at all - of course no-one''s blaming safri.

as i said, if worthy had prevented him from going what would that have done to the relationship between manager and player? especially as they would have lost, morrocco would not have qualified and safri will have been sitting here thinking he was prevented from going out there and maybe making a difference.

and i go back to my earlier question - is it actually within the remit of a club manager to prevent a player from taking part, not only in a competitive international fixture but in a pivotal world cup qualifier? i don''t think it is.

just try playing out the ideal scenario for those who think worthy should have stopped him going.

Player depserately wants to go, manager says no. Player says, "well i''m going anyway, i want to represent my country in this vital game." Manager says if you go i''ll stick you in the reserves and fine you. Manager then gets much worse stick for dumping one of the team''s best players in the reserves, probably from you very same people who are giving him stick now for not stopping him going.

The manager will always be wrong in some of you people''s eyes, he just can''t win. And before you say it, no it''s not a case that he can do no wrong in the ''pro camp'' eyes, we''re just realistic and live in the real world. Stopping safri from playing at the weekend would not have been living in the real world.

NCFC are Safri`s employers , it is they who pay his wages ,  his contract may state that  he can play for his country  , which is fine ,  but  does the contract also state that  he can play whilst injured ?   he played KNOWING that he had an injury ,  he played DESPITE  the advice from the clubs docter , Despite  a plea from his manager ....  he made himself unavailable to play for the club at a critical time ,  he should be told to p*ss off back to Morocco [ unpaid ] until he gets his head on straght 

"p**s off back to morrocco and get his head straight"

that''s a shocking attitude sheded. get his head straight for wanting to play for his country? any england player in the same position would have done the same thing and, especially if they had won, would have been branded a hero for playing.

and you want him to get his head straight.

Nice - we have somehow managed to turn this round into blaming Worthy.  I was waiting for someone to blame Craig Fleming.

In the Worthy interview after the Brighton match he said that he had told Safri to go to Morocco but that if he wasn''t right to get himself back here for treatment.

Safri had to report for international duty and then it was up to him and the national teams medical people to decide if he could play.

This was probably the biggest game of his career and I am sure the last thing he was thinking about was playing Millwall on a rainy saturday.

You should never not play for your country as you never know when it may be your last game. 

I am sure Mcveigh is chuffed he packed in Northern Ireland and wasn''t a part of one of their greatest ever results the other week.

Clubs come and go but country does not.

Do we really want to p*ss off a key player in the last year of his contract who is alledgedly attracting the interest of a certain major dutch club (and I''m sure a few others)?

Do we really want the player to get to the stage where he wants out and the club either have to sell him on the cheap or risk losing him for free?

Do we want to p*ss off a player who, if we have any sense, we will shortly be entering into contract talks with?

By all means, in that case, let''s stop him playing one of the biggest games of his career for his country.

Get real.

Let''s look at this rationally. OK, it''s not good news that he''s injured, but the injury news could have been worse. He''ll be sidelined perhaps for the rest of the month. There are worse times we could have lost him. Such an intensive run of games would doubtless have taken it''s toll even on Safri during the Ramadan period. Who''s to say he''d have been playing 90 mins in every game anyway?

Injuries, whether suffered in training, matches or whilst on international duty, are part of the game so we roll with the punches and just get on with it. Jarrett now has a chance to show why we brought him here, Marney has a chance to impress in his favoured position.

Roll on Millwall!

[quote]"p**s off back to morrocco and get his head straight" that''s a shocking attitude sheded. get his head straight for wanting to play for his country? any england player in the same position would have ...[/quote]

Read through my post again A1  , nothing in that post AGAINST Safri playing for his country !   IF HE WAS FIT !!    the fact remains that he wasn`t , he knew it , the club knew it   , he  gambled on getting through that match with an existing injury  , and  he lost !!   so why should the club continue paying his wages  when HE made himself unemployable ?  ...   a groin injury is, notoriously , unpredictable,  the forecast is seven weeks  before he gets fit , you could easily double that !   thats your money , and mine , being wasted  on  a non productive  player !!

I expect there`s insurance to cover  these things ,  but  you can bet your ass  the premiums  reflect the risk !

Safri is now going to sit on his aris  , drawing wages he`s NOT earning , for , who knows how long ?   yeah  ... what an asset !!

[quote]I agree if he was fit . But he wasn''t - he had to come off against Brighton - It is clear that he should not have played and Worthington should have been strong enough to tell him . Would Alex Ferguso...[/quote]

I seem to remember Beckham going off to the World Cup in 2002 with his metatarsal injury still causing problems.

As someone else pointed out, imagine the anger if any of the England players were refused to go to the world cup if there clubs declared them unfit.

Some people are missing the point by a mile. Safri, currently our most influential player, was clearly injured before leaving the UK. Sods law said he would aggrevate the injury.. he is too combative a player to ''hide'' an injury. Now he misses 7 games. Thats a disaster. Safri has been superb, a gem in a sea of mediocrity or less, and is key to any chance of promotion. Expect people to be dismayed upon being told he will miss vital games. There is no viable alternative.

[quote]Read through my post again A1 , nothing in that post AGAINST Safri playing for his country ! IF HE WAS FIT !! the fact remains that he wasn`t , he knew it , the club knew it , he gambled on g...[/quote]

I see your point Sheded but you''re making it out like Saf WANTS this.  I''m damn sure he would much rather play every week than sit on his a**e and get his nice big pay packet.  At the end of the day, playing for your Country is the highest honour a player can receive.  You can''t blame him for going.  He didn''t know he''d be stretchered off.  I''m sure he''s as frustrated as anybody

[quote]Read through my post again A1 , nothing in that post AGAINST Safri playing for his country ! IF HE WAS FIT !! the fact remains that he wasn`t , he knew it , the club knew it , he gambled on g...[/quote]

Quite a strong comment ''sheded'', but I am in agreement with you. But be careful - as you may suffer a "Groan" strain.....

Rumour about Deano playing with a niggling injury before his sinus smack doesn''t do him any favours either.(albeit 5 goals scored!) 

I''m particulary annoyed as much as the rest of the poster''s, as ''Saf'' was playing really well- and we will miss him. Perhaps the lure of the World Cup and the loyalty to his Country was too much. Not a sensible choice- but heart ruled over head and hence the consequence of him taking a few weeks off on the sick.... 

He''ll be back, and in the meantime we''ll just have to live without him.....Be interesting to see who gets the nod against Millwall! 

OTBC ;~)

[quote]"p**s off back to morrocco and get his head straight" that''s a shocking attitude sheded. get his head straight for wanting to play for his country? any england player in the same position would have ...[/quote]

That smacks of exactly the sort of attitude we''re trying to eradicate from football, in this of all weeks.
Don''t pretend you didn''t realise the undertone of that when you posted it sheded.

Ramadan for next 3 weeks, unlikely to be at his best, maybe a blessing in disguise, particularly if Jarrett can show a remarkabe turnound in form?

[quote]That smacks of exactly the sort of attitude we''re trying to eradicate from football, in this of all weeks. Don''t pretend you didn''t realise the undertone of that when you posted it sheded.[/quote]

First of all , Herb , your quote  was somebody elses quote from my post !    maybe you`d like to expand on what I`m " pretending "    and what " we " are trying to eradicate from football  ?  .... like saying it like it is for instance ?? 

I shouldn`t really  belabour the obvious  yet again , but , here it is , yet again ......

Safri  WAS injured BEFORE  he  was called for international duty

Safri ignored our doctors advice

Safri ignored Nigels advice

Safri  ignored the  reasonable  advice  of his employers  !  the employers who pay his wages , if he disobeys  their reasonable request NOT to play,  because of his KNOWN injury ,  then , logically , he`s made himself unemployable !!  so why SHOULD he come limping back to the club  expecting to get paid while he`s laid up ?   maybe the " p**s off back to Morocco "  bit was a bit strong , but thats the way I feel about it !!

By the way , other posters have used the analogy of England players  , playing for the country  whilst injured !!    I just wish they could be more specific !  I don`t know of any manager  of an English club who would let one of their England players  compete in an international  when injured !  ... like they would be ORDERED not to go  .. period ,  nor would  Sven want  any of his players to play if he`s nursing an injury , thats all he needs  , given they play crappiley enough as it is !!  LOL

Oh for heavens sake, the guy is a seasoned international, playing for his national team in a crucial qualifyer.

1.   NCFC cannot stop him going - FIFA do have a little more influence than both Nige and any of the City physios
2.   We want him to be as good a player as possible - so does Nige say stop playing football it might damage your ability?
3.   As someone else mentioned, it''s Ramadan and we know that was going to have an effect on Saf''s performance - so it''s not as if we''re up the creek without a paddle is it?

Sheded - be reasonable and think about your comments  - they may be well intentioned but step back and take a look at what you''ve written...there''s a nasty whiff about them...

Get fit soon Saf - we can ill afford to be without you for too long mate!

[quote]First of all , Herb , your quote was somebody elses quote from my post ! maybe you`d like to expand on what I`m " pretending " and what " we " are trying to eradicate from football ? .... lik...[/quote]

Yes it was a bit strong. And also completely illogical, given that Youssef has lived in this country for a number of years. I''d like to think the support the fans have given him has made it feel like home to him.
So he shouldn''t have to "P*ss off back" anywhere. Given that particular phraseology is used a lot by bigots, I found it ill-judged at best.