Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Olsson injury - any news?

I saw mention that Olsson is injured - but havent seen much further comment - have i missed something?

Is it an embarrassment injury for his conceded pen red card or is he likely to be out for longer.

We didnt miss him on sat, with bradys use of the ball in a different class and his link up play with pritchard and naismith gave us another dimension.

Whether we need his better than bradys aerial skills against Barnsley is another matter!

[quote user="ZLF"]I saw mention that Olsson is injured - but havent seen much further comment - have i missed something?

Is it an embarrassment injury for his conceded pen red card or is he likely to be out for longer.

We didnt miss him on sat, with bradys use of the ball in a different class and his link up play with pritchard and naismith gave us another dimension.

Whether we need his better than bradys aerial skills against Barnsley is another matter![/quote]

It''s a good question.  Brady had a good game on Saturday by all accounts and him being in the back four means an extra space in the team for another midflelder, enabling Pritchard and Naismith able to start on Saturday, which must have helped. Does that mean we are better with it being an either/or with Brady and Olsson?  5-0 suggests Brady may be better in the full back position and still able to contribute to attacks. 

Thigh injury is the word, but haven''t heard anything regarding how long he''ll be out for.

Brady was absolutely class for us, and has demonstrated just how good he is as a footballer by returning to form and getting a goal and an assist to his name too. But his cross and goal demonstrate the fact he isn''t a natural left back. The problem we have now, if Olsson returns and we want to move Brady forwards, who the hell do you drop out of Naismith (who''s played well in recent weeks), Pritchard (who simply has to start!), and Murphy (who basically scored a goal and played rather well too). Makes a sudden change from a few games ago when everyone was awful!

Just a knock according to Alex said he didn''t want to play him to aggravate it so it doesn''t sound too serious, though Brady did a good job there last Sat

Olson left back, Brady left mid and drop Naismith.

Simples!!!

Cannot believe people are saying Naismith has played well recently. Thought he was very average Saturday, looked frustrated and rightly booked for dissent/persistent fouling.

[quote user="Yellow Green Army"]Olson left back, Brady left mid and drop Naismith.

Simples!!!

Cannot believe people are saying Naismith has played well recently. Thought he was very average Saturday, looked frustrated and rightly booked for dissent/persistent fouling.[/quote]

This makes no sense to me. After winning 5-0, it would appear that we should keep the same team/formation and that Olsson would have to wait for his opportunity to return.  Brady as an attacking left back is dynamite when he''s on form and allows an extra midfielder to play.  I like Olsson and value him highly as a team member, but results are what matters and if we can get results like Saturday with Brady at left back, then that should carry on, imo.

[quote user="Yellow Green Army"]Olson left back, Brady left mid and drop Naismith.

Simples!!!

Cannot believe people are saying Naismith has played well recently. Thought he was very average Saturday, looked frustrated and rightly booked for dissent/persistent fouling.[/quote]Naismith has been playing well, he was good away at Derby too.

I''m not much of an Naismith fan but thought he did well sat, linked up well. Hard to drop anyone after Saturdays performance really.

We seem to play better when either one of Brady or Olsson is missing. The start of the season without Brady we looked good and last season without Olsson we looked good but for some reason imo the two of them just don''t quite work together on the left. Brady, seeing the whole pitch ahead of him, really seems to suit him at left back and I for one would like to see him stay there, especially as we should always try to be on the front foot.

One of the key reasons we did so well on sat was the quick link up play between Brady (better on the ball than Olsson which also made a difference) Naismith and Pritchard.

And to echo Mortys endorsement at Derby I would also say Naismith showed terrific application at QPR. It seems he is now showing what he can do for us and if he is growing into form we should utilise it.

When they are all firing very few clubs can better the left sided combination of Brady, Naismith & Pritchard - so we should lose it more often than not. Why would you change it?

PS - I have answered the above in a post earlier this week - but i think brady/pritchard/naismith attacking strengths outweigh any defensive benefit of olsson/brady/pritchard. esp when the graft is there from all players.