Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Jonny Howson now for captain?

There was a great piece about Pritchard yesterday and it was obvious just how much he attributed the influence of Howson. For Pritchard he was always talking, giving him ear ache, instructions etc. Isn''t it time now he is made the captain rather than the sub to Russell Martin. We know what Martin stands for, he is a decent and committed professional ....even though now he isn''t an automatic starter.....but isn''t it time that someone with far more influence in the middle of the park has this role? He was captain of Leeds years and years ago in his younger days. He is obviously well- respected by AN and if a very capable player like Pritchard is motivated by him, what is there to lose? For me I hope he is the new permanent captain figure I feel we have been looking for ( I.e. not a goalie or a defender) but someone in the heart of the action. Someone who influential by his very play. He leads by example.

He was captain earlier in the season when Russ was out. I''d have no problems with him being permanent captain. Russ blotted his copybook for me with "that interview." But its most important to have leaders like Jonny and Seb out on the pitch regardless of armband.

The question for me is not so much as should Howson be Captain as to why he isn''t-and hasn''t been for a while.

Clearly the outstanding candidate-you don''t get to be Captain of a club like Leeds at his then tender age without having something about you, something the mostly grizzled old seen that, been there, worn the T-Shirt old pros at Leeds wouldn''t have seen and respected at the time.

Pritchard''s comments post-match sounded like a show of support and that respect he has for Howson on the pitch.

If Alex Neil feels that the Captaincy can''t be taken away from Russell Martin for whatever reasons when Howson looks to be far more suited to the role then I''d like to know why he thinks he is a better option-especially as Neil very publicly supported Howson post match anyway.

Martin is ideal Club Captain material, an ambassador and someone for the players to look up to and work with in matters off the pitch. On it and in the dressing room there is Howson, end of.

Totally agree. Should have been made captain several seasons ago.

It was noticeable how vocal he was on Saturday, demanding the best from the players and always giving instructions.

He just oozes class, has bags of experience and has great stature/presence on the field.

I have always thought that he could play for England one day.

He is that good.

Have to say that I''m amazed Howson is so assertive on the pitch. The pigeon botherer''s interviews make him sound like the shyest, most ineffectual man on the planet. And he seems even nicer than Martin

Just proves it what you do on the pitch that matters; in a game situation his inner tiger is evidently uncaged! Excellent news.

It''s a yes from me

Made a huge difference, truly inspirational was spiriting to see. He lifted the whole side

I think he''s quite stoic in interviews, I think he learned from lambert on that one, just measured and calm and just drives the play forward linking up

Howson''s presence and contribution made a remarkable difference against Brentford, that''s for sure. He''s one who is capable of playing week-in, week-out in the Premiership and we''re fortunate to have him.

I love the way he calmly goes about his business with the minimum of fuss. There are plenty of talented players in the game who''d do well to take a lead from his focussed, workman-like example.

Yep, ideal Captain - he''s more than ready...

He clearly made a massive difference coming back into the side, and is well respected. He''s not one to yell at you on the pitch, but he leads by example, very much like our successful period with Adam Drury as captain by winning the league! The confidence boost both him and Ivo clearly shows he is a very important part of the squad. For me, Russ should be club captain, because he is a big ambassador for the club, but Howson plays every week and should be the team captain.

[quote user="Dicky"]Obvious choice. Will probably see the back of Russ.[/quote]

Er no. We still need cover at right back for the rest of this season.

Howson passes the ball forward better than any of our midfielders. It''s no coincidence we won comfortably with him back in the team.

He''s a lot like another Leeds academy graduate, James Milner, quiet and professional off the pitch and with the media but commanding and someone who everyone can look up to on the pitch. Should''ve been captain once holt left.

My feeling is that he should be captain - I''m not sure if he barks instructions, but if does the team have needed it, but he certainly leads by example.

There is no more committed player in the side, and with his pace, passing and shooting ability he is a good model for others to follow.