Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

The odds on Josh signing up?

The latest thing that has been bothering Sonyc ( to use the 3rd person like Ricardo does to reference himself) I''ve been thinking that with Jacob now signed for 4.5 years and hinting that things might be going on in the background for Josh, it would be great if he signed on the dotted line too. To have both here would give us terrific options ahead and you could only see Josh, like Jacob, developing more into a tricky and nippy frontline striker than mainly playing a winger role. It''s no coincidence that they win penalties. They have a eye for goal from distance too.

I would prefer this signing than any other in the January window. We already have our Wells or our version of Rhodes. To me he would be like a £5m plus signing. I hope they get this sorted and make him a great offer. It would seem to be a sound investment too.

It could be more a case of treluctance on the part of the club.Josh seems to have slowed in his development. Originally he was ahead of his brother.Maybe the club are not willing to commit to the length of contract he wants at this stage.

Hope he signs up.  Am hoping it won''t be far away until the Murphys are both on the team sheet every week.  They already hae been on the pitch at the same time this season, so it''s not a huge stretch of the imagination.  Two on form marauding pacy players running in on defenders would be a joy to watch if they are both scoring and causing mayhem. 

I would imagine all thinks point to Josh signing up as well. There''s no doubt those conversations have already taken place. The club are certainly not willing to let him go at this stage. The way I see it, his brother has gone out there, done the business and earned himself a pay rise and long contract. Josh now has to go and do the same - but what greater motivation than ''go and beat what your bother has achieved'' that''ll certainly help him get his head down and work harder. I''ve not doubt at some point we''ll be used to seeing both Murphy''s on the pitch, but he''s got a bit of catching up to earn his contract just yet!

OK, to play Devil''s advocate... he did really well on Saturday when he came on and we were 3-0 up. I think AN wants to see him perform in a game where its 0-0 or 0-1 and we''re up against it, looking for someone to change the game. I don''t think we''ve seen him do that this season. There''s no doubt Jacob has moved ahead of him this season in his progression, but Josh definitely has the ability to get to the same level.

[quote user="morty"]Wasn''t Josh considered the better prospect, at one time?
[/quote]

Definitely, during the youth team cup run (sorry, cup win) Josh was more prominent, and he was first to get some game time in the first team (I think I remember Neil Adams playing him at the end of the Prem season ?).  Jacob has now matured and offers a better overall combination of attacking qualities and general solidity etc.  But they''re both still young.  I''d be very pleased to see him signed up too.

I don''t think there''s much between them at all, Josh was just unlucky that it was Redmond that moved and not Brady.Josh won POTS at a Championship club last season.

I find it difficult to disagree with the managers view of the differences between the two. Not sure why Josh would get the same let alone better deal than jacob right now.

The are signs that Josh is starting and follow his brothers lead by listening to what the coaches want from him, apply some graft &apply what he has learned.

Ferdinand continues to praise on behalf of their agents so todays news stories are hardly a surprise, and I would be amazed if his signing wasnt by the time we play soton

I think it''s very likely.

While Jacob has taken the limelight so far this season, Josh has also performed really well in cup games and from the bench.

would be better to sign him all this he has to earn it when we sign and give a contract to Canos to give one to murphy is a no brainer

if the club are playing hard ball with him saying you have to earn it Josh they need to be very careful that he doesn''t start talking to Redmond etc about life on the south coast

To be totally honest I am very nervous !

You see no-one knows what''s in the contracts do they ? If they are identical. Who knows that they have been offered the exact same terms. In the past the two brothers would roll up together with their parents, sign their contacts together and the whole affair would be completed in 15 minutes.

It''s different in the first team environment. Both are in the first team squad but one is starting regularly, the other from the bench. The managers game plan is to have balance in his attacking 4 - only one attacking winger. So Jacob has played most of the games. Does he get better terms than Josh. ? Why has Josh delayed ? Surely their not offering less than they are offering Jacob - that will be outrageous ! Suicidal on our part..

Or is game time the issue ? We all know there other clubs that would pay Josh more money and promise him a regular start. Here is one time we really need AN to show us his man management skills. We have tied Jacob down now and will not lose him for nothing. But there''s still a chance we could lose Josh for nothing !. Over to AN and our new 2nd hand car dealer look-a-like CEO to earn his keep !