Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Full house

Can anyone tell me what the biggest crowd has been for a game at carrow rd as I''ve been told 32,000 which seems on the high side even when you could stand.

What about the 35,000 for that overcast night in April ''72 against Palace ?

One of my earlier memories was the nighttime game v Chelsea when I think maybe 39000?

the called off game, or the replay ?the first one was a bit ''manic'' in the Barclay... to say the least

[quote user="mr footy"]Thankyou for your replies, so 40,000 was possible. Incredible.[/quote]

i find this really funny,  the idea that theres not 40000 + and more people that would be happy to watch city is comical, theres nothing else at this level for miles, the club has a captive audience, theres nothing from a sports entertainment perspective that even competes, hence why we pull 25000 in division 3 in recent years and also why no business person with half a brain would sell up their cash cow regardless of its lack of success despite supposedly "having its best interests at heart"

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/34889968_zps640dffc5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/34889968_zps640dffc5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think in 1963 we played Leicester and it was 44,000.[/quote]43,984 for a 6th round FA Cup match against Leicester on 30th March 1963 - and I was one of them, aged 14.

no, just some knobhead binner, as usualbest to just ignore him/her

Vivid memory of the 1972 Palace game when I simply couldn''t get down onto the terraces it was so jam packed. Ended up hanging over the boards that ran along the back of the river end, swinging back and forth when Stringer headed in the vital goal.

Amazing to think there were several thousand more for the record Portsmouth game. How on earth did they all get in!

Stand corrected Ricardo, little bit before my time as my first season was 1971.

Just chatting to my dad and he was in the Leicester crowd in the south stand. Reckoned he ended up facing away from the pitch somehow and couldn''t manage to turn round until half time :-)

HC, I''m sure some people didn''t see much of the match. I stood near the halfway line about halfway up. No chance of getting to the gents. Fortunately my prostate was ok in those days.

I was in the South Stand too. About 10 rows up to the right of the halfway line. Didn''t see a lot although I did see their goal (Stringfellow) go in at the Barclay End.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Vivid memory of the 1972 Palace game when I simply couldn''t get down onto the terraces it was so jam packed. Ended up hanging over the boards that ran along the back of the river end, swinging back and forth when Stringer headed in the vital goal.

Amazing to think there were several thousand more for the record Portsmouth game. How on earth did they all get in![/quote]Getting in was bad enough, but getting out was nigh on impossible.The usual shuffle up Carrow Road was just a dead slow crush.Also got mud on my Levis as I slid over trying to get down grass banks behind the Barclay.... and I wasn''t wash day till the following week !

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="nutty nigel"]I think in 1963 we played Leicester and it was 44,000.[/quote]43,984 for a 6th round FA Cup match against Leicester on 30th March 1963 - and I was one of them, aged 14.[/quote]
Post or poster?
Or maybe sorry nutty I got you wrong...

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="nutty nigel"]I think in 1963 we played Leicester and it was 44,000.[/quote]43,984 for a 6th round FA Cup match against Leicester on 30th March 1963 - and I was one of them, aged 14.[/quote]

I too was there, was outside the ground waiting for the gates to open, got a fantastic position, great view then some six foot six twenty stone bloke came and stood right in front of me, hardly saw a thing. At one point I thought my father was going to thump him cos he wouldn''t budge an inch. Cried all the way home because we''d lost.