Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Shrimper

Greeno in Deutschland

Alan Smith selects his squad for Germany in today''s ''Torygraph'' and of our man says "A decent No 3 for a major tournament. Intelligent, easy-going and supportive, the Norwich goalkeeper will be a good man to have around over the course of several weeks". I know there will be the debate as to whether he should be ranked 1, 2 or 3 but my point is that I think this is very complimentary comment on the part of Alan Smith and I think Greeno can be very proud of what he has, undoubtedly, achieved within the England set-up 

I think Greeno should go to the Finals.  I''m disappointed that Kirkland got the nod for the bench in the last 2 England games.  I know he''s playing top flight football, however Greeno is a better keeper, plus he''s been an injury free player.  Time is on his side, and he''ll be challenging Robinson within a couple of years.

Presumably this is former Arsenal legend Alan Smith as opposed to former Leeds and Man Utd nutcase Alan Smith!?

I think it would be a fantastic achievement for Green to get to Germnay, even as number 3.  You never know what will happen with regards to injuries and suspensions once we get over there.  My only worry is that it won''t take much of a run in form by ANY English Premiership keeper for them to get picked ahead of Greeno.  James, Martyn anyone.  Sven wants his players to play in the Premiership. I just hope Greeno doesn''t miss out

I have a feeling that Greeno will not go to the World Cup.   I get the impression that Sven will recall Nigel Martin or David James to the squad to add some experience and that (if fit) Kirkland will get the nod over Greeno. 

At this moment in time the two "reserve" goalkeepers have played half an International (friendly) between them.  This should/could change between now and the beginning of the World Cup but can anyone really see Sven picking a squad where 2 of his 3 keepers have only played a hand full of friendly games between them?

[quote]Presumably this is former Arsenal legend Alan Smith as opposed to former Leeds and Man Utd nutcase Alan Smith!? I think it would be a fantastic achievement for Green to get to Germnay, even as numb...[/quote]

dd, yes you''re correct in your assumption that the Alan Smith quoted is the former Arsenal legend

peter shilton was saying the other day that he doesnt rate robinson(who i do) or james, and thinks kirkland is too injury prone. But he didnt mention greeno, personally i ifnk greeno is an all around better keeper than the above, n i do think he will go 2 the world cup, he was ment to go euro 2004 but was injured that can be confirmed, a close source to green told me instead of1 of the 3 who went

In the Daily Mail, James gets the nod over Greeno.  Btw, if Shilton doesn''t rate Robinson, James or Kirkland  who does he want to go to the World Cup?

For me Robinson is the stand out English keeper at the moment. 

James and Greeno are all pretty much around the same level with James experience and shot stopping cancelling out Greenos inexperience.  James has made ricks but has kept more clean sheets than any keeper in the prem (although he has also conceeded more goals than any other too!)

Martyn continues to be mentioned but that is very much on last seasons form.  This season, no doubt hindered by those in front of him, his form has dipped alarmingly and I suggest he is now looking his age.

Kirkland look a level below all of them and without a liverpool connection would be behind the likes of scott carson,  ben foster &probably richard wright. in the pecking order.  He is injury prone but also indecisive on crosses and tends to make poor decisions at key moments.

I know I am biased but Green has the attributes to go to Germany.  He is good at crosses, kicking and a decent shot stopper too.  He is still too quiet and needs to communicate better with his defence to push Robinson. Overall he is a better keeper than Kirkland and now Martyn.  James is his only competition but his big mouth keeps opening - I am sure he will go to germany.

However the fact that Clemence does not rate him feels like a nail in the coffin and I feel he will not make it to the finals - which would be a great shame.     

OTBC

[quote]For me Robinson is the stand out English keeper at the moment. James and Greeno are all pretty much around the same level with James experience and shot stopping cancelling out Greenos inexperience...[/quote]

Have I missed something ZLF?  Has Clemence said he does not rate him?  If so that''s a bit harsh.

I thought it was Clemence who championed him in the first place and was the reason Greeno was included in the sqaud last time we were in the Championship.

I was told the following a few weeks ago, already posted on this forum, that Greeno asked Ray C why he was not on the bench for the Irish game instead of Kirkland - the response was along the lines that had James not opened his big gob about lack of prep Green would not have been in the squad at all...

OTBC

My concern is that Green doesn''t dominate his area to the extent needed at international level. I think its one of the reasons we concede quite a lot of goals- I know I will get shot down for suggesting a weakness in Green''s game, but I do think he needs to command more. Not just communicate but make his presence felt- this is my territory and you''ll get the ball over my dead body. James is actually better at that although not as good as Seaman was. With strong characters at the back in Campbell, Terry and Ferdinand its not a place for wallflowers.