Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Redmond

For those of you who don''t think this is Norwich related, let me explain.

Michael Bailey wrote a very interesting article in the Pink In last week comparing us to Southampton and bemoaning the fact that they had overtaken us with ease since we were both in League One. He ignored the fact that they are owned by one of the wealthiest families in the world but even so it was a valid article and a good read.

But he also said that they had stolen Redmond from us, who was now playing "the best football of his career" which I thought was an interesting (but totally incorrect) observation.

I have kept an eye on the Saints messageboards since he left us because I thought at the time that £11m for Redmond was one of the best bits of business Norwich City had ever done and I don''t understand why people ever rated Redmond. So I was a bit surprised by Mr Bailey''s article and suspected it hadn''t been very well researched.

Anyway, take a look at the Saints fans reactions following his performance last night. They have a striking familiarity....!

I watched some of the game, and the commentator said (along the lines of) "Frustrating for Redmond, he goes past a player, then just makes completely the wrong decision about what to do next".

Symptomatic of the English game. We produce a lot of fast "athletes" but very few players with a genuine footballing brain. All pace/acceleration and no end product. Walcott springs to mind.

Also the reason we fail in the Champions League. Pace and power is fine for the Prem but when a side can match that and then add some guile, tactical nous and vision on top we get rumbled.

Didn''t really do it at norwich and looks like he''s not doing at Southampton always plays well for under 21s we got good money for a bang average player

[quote user="Hucks6"]Didn''t really do it at norwich and looks like he''s not doing at Southampton always plays well for under 21s we got good money for a bang average player[/quote]I wouldn''t say bang average, but the earlier comparison with Walcott is a good one, you get to the feeling Redmond will get to the end of his career and people will say that he should have done better.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Hucks6"]Didn''t really do it at norwich and looks like he''s not doing at Southampton always plays well for under 21s we got good money for a bang average player[/quote]I wouldn''t say bang average, but the earlier comparison with Walcott is a good one, you get to the feeling Redmond will get to the end of his career and people will say that he should have done better.[/quote]You''re probably right there Morty.He''s better than bang average but has always flattered to deceive. Destined to be a '' nearly man '' if ever there was one.

The difference in the money received for the 22 year Redmond old compared to the money paid for a complete waster and journeyman Naismith is laughable.

Know who I wish was still here

They don''t seem overly keen on him, many of the issues we had - lack of end product!

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57537-Redmond#.WEuwE3ecbeQ

I must admit, Naismith comparison was in my head, some of our fans like to write off a decent player sold then defend a current under performing ones.

It''s pretty easy to see the saints are miles ahead of us, their set up and wealth, it''s just fact.

Redders isn''t there yet but I have a mate who''s a season ticket holder there and they see glimpses and have games where he looks a cut above everyone else, then the next few where''s he''s not shown up, sounds familiar. But he''s well liked by the fans who see his potential.

For me it was a great move to sell Redders as young Murphy has looked better this year than Redders in our last championship season.

Remond is still young, at 22 there''s a lot of time to coach him before his prime years. That''s what Southampton have bought into - he''s certainly got the talent and potential. He''s probably played a bit better for Saints than he did for us too - but his lack of end product is still there. He will improve, I''ve no doubt, and I would also reckon he''ll probably turn out for England one day, but he isn''t anywhere near finished as a product yet. That''s why he''s at Southampton and not a ''top'' side.

I''d certainly still have him here, but I think the comparisons to Naismith are harsh. Naismith went ahead before we sold Redmond, surely Pritchard is the more direct comparison, and so far he looks to be worth his fee.

I''d say Canos is the direct comparison, for me it''s value for money comparison with Naismith......

[quote user="6088m canary"]Symptomatic of the English game. We produce a lot of fast "athletes" but very few players with a genuine footballing brain. All pace/acceleration and no end product. Walcott springs to mind.

Also the reason we fail in the Champions League. Pace and power is fine for the Prem but when a side can match that and then add some guile, tactical nous and vision on top we get rumbled.[/quote]

Best comment on this thread... we produce Athletes.. not footballers.

We are fitter, faster, stronger.... just a shame we aren''t technical, tactical, or educated on the game.

Until British attitudes as to what makes a footballer change then the likes of the Redmonds, Diers and Alli''s of the world are never going to hit the potential.

Now this is where it gets confusing! 40 years ago we had the likes of Hoddle, Waddle etc. and we were shite internationally, we blamed it on not having the foreign players & coaches in England, like they had in Italy & Spain, since 1993 we''ve had an influx of both and yet we still say our players aren''t technically as good as other countries, why is the question?

Easy to answer Indy

Attitude... the people at the top won''t acknowledge there''s a problem at the bottom.

They''ll realise when England stop qualifying for major tournaments.

Southgate gets it, if you watch some of the coaching seminars he does he understands all levels of the game.

But he can bark up the tree as much as he wants but until the non football people start listening its not going to change.

Said it for years but young English players need to flick 2 fingers up at the premier league and go to Germany/Italy/France/Spain and really learn about football.

If Redmond was that bad I don''t think he''d be playing as much for Southampton as he has done. Always amazed by how much stick a young, exciting attacking player got here for not being able to win games single handedly.

"If Redmond was that bad I don''t think he''d be playing as much for Southampton as he has done.............."

"Underrated."

I wonder if these comments will still be being said in two to three months time?

I''m afraid I''m in the "He''s better than bang average but has always flattered to deceive. Destined to be a '' nearly man '' if ever there was one." camp.

Well I''d have told you a year ago he''s underrated. So I don''t expect that to change in a couple of months.

Quite surprised by the tone and heavy criticism he is receiving from the Saints Forum. He has not played that many games. They make us sound like angels. They have come to the same conclusion. The boy has pace and natural ability but has not moved on. Has little in the way of a final product.

[quote user="Johnny Stump"]Go and learn the game, or get ridiculously overpaid for being quite good?[/quote]learn the game and get paid even more for being even better...