Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Good managers know their systems and best teams.

Just listened to AN and why are we as a team having to change to suit each team we play? Do Newcastle or Brighton change? No they play a system with players who fit their system, after 4 out of 5 seasons in the Premiership , should not have a team to win 75% of the games at this level?

Not sure, but I think his starting 11 we''re good enough to win this, so why do we start so slow, why do we allow teams to bully us, surely our squad is far better than a Barnsley squad?

Indy wrote the following post at 2016-12-10 9:50 PM:

Just listened to AN and why are we as a team having to change to suit each team we play? Do Newcastle or Brighton change? No they play a system with players who fit their system, after 4 out of 5 seasons in the Premiership , should not have a team to win 75% of the games at this level?

Not sure, but I think his starting 11 we''re good enough to win this, so why do we start so slow, why do we allow teams to bully us, surely our squad is far better than a Barnsley squad?

No, the squad isn''t far better......the result tells you so!

we are regarded to have one of the best squads in this league, which could be interpreted one of two ways....

....either we have a strong first XI, which is well covered by squad players who are able to come in effectively in the event of injury or suspension....or......we have a strong squad of players that can be adapted with different styles and formations and be tailored to suit different opposition with different strengths and weaknesses and get results in all situations.

....at the moment Alex Neil is doing neither and failing all round.

take today for instance, if Neil is regretting his initial team selection, he clearly doesnt trust his players or his own judgement if believes he should have done something different.

A word must also be said for our scouting system who''s job it is to compile information on the opposition and their strengths and weaknesses...maybe we''re being let down here aswell, if a mid table side like Barnsley can apparantly catch us out in the first half as they did today?

So do we defend the long balls better? Or defend from the front to try and stop them being played? Its easy to blame the last line but they deserve better protection which is what I assume happened second half.

I am afraid today just shows how much AN overanalysed the situation , he took a huge risk playing the two Murphys and once again he got it totally wrong.

I honestly think a fans vote would pick a better team than he can. If Ollsen was fit he should have started end of.

No doubt our Board will back him again, but the team have not a clue what he will do next . I am certain AN will follow Neil Adams and be gone after christmas he just doesnt have enough confidence to deliver.

i agree Nutty

stop at source if the CB has all the time in the world to pick out a striker making a run then how does that help our Defenders

i have said it many times we play with 7 defenders (

Gk 4 x defenders and 2 Dm ) 4 attackers

this leaves the other teams player to control and make those passes as we sit far to deep

4 attack minded players are not going to worry a team and the other 6 players who defend have not got pace to support the attack

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i agree Nutty

stop at source if the CB has all the time in the world to pick out a striker making a run then how does that help our Defenders

i have said it many times we play with 7 defenders (

Gk 4 x defenders and 2 Dm ) 4 attackers

this leaves the other teams player to control and make those passes as we sit far to deep

4 attack minded players are not going to worry a team and the other 6 players who defend have not got pace to support the attack[/quote]We play with 7 defenders? On the contrary, we typically play with, in effect, only three defenders (keeper and 2 CBs), which is why we are equally typically vulnerable to simple long passes out of defence to waiting strikers. The idea that such counters can be eliminated at source by committing more players forward is patently untrue, as is regularly demonstrated every match -- classic examples in the Cup game against Leeds. All the opposition needs to do to spring the trap is to wait for the inevitable misplaced pass or over-ambitious ball giving away possession in an advance position, then play the long ball to their strikers. All this has been well analysed by Parma in his Masterclasses, in particular the latest one, No. 14. 

alex neil lost his confidence after his decisions cost us the result against newcastle in the premier league, he bottled it and started changing everything to suit the opposition from then on, prior to that we were gung ho and full of confidence,  whch perhaps had more to do with neil adams than alex neil.

hes lost his nerve and its reflected by the players, it doesnt help the coaching team are a bunch of never beens either

[quote user="iron_stan"]alex neil lost his confidence after his decisions cost us the result against newcastle in the premier league, he bottled it and started changing everything to suit the opposition from then on, prior to that we were gung ho and full of confidence,  whch perhaps had more to do with neil adams than alex neil.

hes lost his nerve and its reflected by the players, it doesnt help the coaching team are a bunch of never beens either [/quote]We were gung-ho and full of confidence, but had already conceded avoidable goals and lost points precisely because of it -- first home game of the season against Palace was typical; likewise the away game against West Ham. Neil didn''t lose his nerve at Newcastle; he saw clearly that a different approach was needed. The way things have gone since then tells us just as much about the limitations of our players as the shortcomings of Alex Neil.